IGNORED

New to the Venture Circuit as of Yesterday morning :)

LilBeaver

Howdy All:

(Happy Easter, etc.)

First of all, thank you to all of you that have contributed to this site and especially those that take care of the administrative end; this has been fantastic in aiding my research for my recent purchase and I am sure will continue to be a terrific source of information, friendship and great way to be connected with fellow enthusiasts!

I noticed that someone else just made a purchase too!

Yesterday I picked up a 2001 Venture with 28k miles from the original owner (with complete maintenance records) and I swear there is not a scratch or stone chip on it! Platinum and green color combination. I picked it up yesterday morning, made the 370 mile drive home and I would have continued riding if the 40+ mph wind gusts and the thunderstorm hadn't followed me home...

In one (northern Michigan) riding season (about 3 years ago) I put about 10k touring miles on an 82 Goldwing and had to give that up two years ago (long story and no need to get in to it) and have missed the distance touring ever since.

I have been looking at these for about a year now, everything from the style to the amenities had me hooked as I don't need to tell all of you about that :)

The records show that this bike has only had 1500 miles put on since June of 2006, so the owner had it serviced and the carbs cleaned and synced, etc for me and it runs like a dream. The tires show a little cracking/dry rot on the sidewalls (which is unfortunate because they have less than 2000 miles on them. But I'm not going to argue with throwing on a pair of 491 Elete II's...

Any input on tires is welcomed (I haven't specifically looked for tire information on the forums... I'll be doing that shortly).

Also will be looking for a good headset (my Goldwing didn't have a CB or Intercom... That will be real nice)...

Well, I'll stop yammering on for now - just thought I'd drop in and say hi and share some excitement...

Looking forward to many many terrific miles!!

If anyone ever comes through northern Texas (well... Texans call it west texas) That is Lubbock or anywhere within 150 miles, let me know if you want some company!!

Here are a few pictures of my 'new' ride :)

Gdspeed all, Ride safe and keep it shiny side up!!

:thumbsup:

:TEAL: Congrats on the new to you bike and We all can tell you the more you ride it the more you like it. As for tires most here are using Avon Venom's or Michelin Commander's also Dunlop Elite 3's that the top picks for these bikes.

Guest tx2sturgis

Congrats and Howdy from Plainview. Those pics look like they were taken on Transmountain Road, in El Paso...nice view into another country!

I get into Lubbock fairly often, so watch for a Midnight Venture...or I'm sometimes on the ElectraGlide, its red and black.

Lots of good folks on this website, and a few old soreheads, like me...so have fun!

Hey Congrats on the new ride... I'll be rollin that way next week on my way from CA to AL.. Dude no offense but Lil Beaver was a midget proffesional wrestler... I saw him wrestle Sky Lowlow when I was a kid...

http://www.wrestlingmuseum.com/images/photos/lilbeavr.gifhttp://www.wrestlingmuseum.com/images/photos/skilolo.gif

Edited by MAINEAC

Congrats on the Ride Bro: I can tell the Betterhalf has already been on the Queen seating platform....BIG SMILE on her face....Same with my wife once she sat down on it and also during and after our first LONG weekend trip....

Enjoy...

George in Virginia

Eazyduzzit: Thanks and that 'ugly dude' is my camera double... Whenever someone goes to take my picutre him and I switch places... :-P

Frogmaster: I've got some family up by you - and I'm up there at least once a year... I lived in Marquette (up der in da UP) for about 4 years or so and spent a lot of time in southern Michigan as much of my family still lives in Mi... There is some fantastic riding in the UP and in the northern part of lower michigan - As you no doubt know.

ToRide: Thanks for the info - I'll check those out too

tx2sturgis: I am impressed you knew where that pic was taken... You are exactly correct (too bad we don't have that kind of scenery around here). I picked up the bike in El Paso and those storms followed me home... Literally. I pulled into my garage just as it started to thunder and pour here in Lubbock. I'll keep an eye out (I'm on a Yellow/Black 1100 Shadow sometimes).

MAINEAC: Sounds like you are in for a good ride!! I had no idea that lilbeaver was a wrestler, that is pretty funny... I picked up the nickname many years ago from one of my good friends and it has kindof stuck with me since... I might need to reconsider using that as screenames though... Ha.

maxantin: I have some family in northern Illinois (about 10 minutes from the six flags in Gurnee). I've put many many miles on through Illinois and WI -- I especially enjoy northern wisconsin... I get up there a couple times a year next time I bring my bike I'll let you know...

gharbourjr: Yup - She is pretty happy about the new ride... She got spoiled with my Goldwing and hasn't really wanted to ride with me since I have been on my others lately...

Rick M.

Guest texasyamahamama

Welcome to the site. These folks are a great bunch. If you need to know anything about that bike just ask. These guys know everything, it's amazing. I live in North Central Texas at a little place called Nocona. It's about 90 miles north of Fort Worth. I have a sister and her family in Levelland. Maybe we can meet up and have lunch sometime when I come that way.

Jackie

I had my first break-down in 58,000 miles sat. flying down the hwy. 85mph and it was as if someone turned the key off. nothing lights up or works except the radio. There are no burnt wires under the tank, and no power past the switch, so... any thoughts???

thanks.

ron

Rick,

Welcome and enjoy that beautiful ride. I have the same bike, except that the original owner did a little custom paint work, etc. I'm in Houston and my in-laws are in Odessa, so one of these days I'll probably make that ride. I'll let you know and we can meet up so you can show me the best places to ride up there. Take care.

David.