IGNORED

Oh rats!!!

chollahan

Well, in a pure moment of happenstance, while I was filling up this morning I had one of my foam ear plugs fall into my tank! What are the chances of that thing going straight down the hole?

I sloshed the gas around and looked with my light, but to no avail. I was away from the house and had to get to work so I rode it on in. I have been a ball of nerves all morning long. Someone put my worries to rest. I plan on getting a bottle of sea foam on the way home to combat anything that gets in the line.

I am trying to convince myself that a tiny ear plug would disolve into almost nothing since it is almost all air.

Help????:sick:

i would tend to believe, that the ear plug has already dissolved.

one ear plug in a full tank of gas, should not pose any problems.

who knows, you might have figured out a way to raise the octane,and get more power!

lol

just jt

i would tend to believe, that the ear plug has already dissolved.

one ear plug in a full tank of gas, should not pose any problems.

who knows, you might have figured out a way to raise the octane,and get more power!

lol

just jt

Depends on the amount of ear wax on it, I would think..........:rotf:

I think it will disolve but also keep in mind that It wont get to the carbs. There should be a screen inside the tank that will keep it from pluging the flow and also getting to the carbs. Just run the tank enpty close to home and then pull the pepcock. should be right there. if it isnt then its gone. Either way nothing really to worry about.

....There should be a screen inside the tank that will keep it from pluging the flow ....

Let me guess ... 'should be' means you're not sure of that Shield ?

I'm quite sure that there is nothing to prevent plugging. :(

I'f i where you, i'd do the Test with the second Earplug in some Gas. If there is some Loss of Material on the Earplug, forget about the Plug in your Tank, if not ...

Either take your Chances or go the hard Way of get that damned Thing out of the Tank. You could decide that while Testing the second Plug, if it's swimming on the Gas for a while, you probably have a second Chance for a Catch at the Refill of the Tank.

Let me guess ... 'should be' means you're not sure of that Shield ?

I'm quite sure that there is nothing to prevent plugging. :(

I'f i where you, i'd do the Test with the second Earplug in some Gas. If there is some Loss of Material on the Earplug, forget about the Plug in your Tank, if not ...

Either take your Chances or go the hard Way of get that damned Thing out of the Tank. You could decide that while Testing the second Plug, if it's swimming on the Gas for a while, you probably have a second Chance for a Catch at the Refill of the Tank.

Let me rephrase. I have yet to see a pepcock that dont have a screen covering it. Just to keep crap in the gas getting to the filter and pump. I havent removed the one on this bike yet.

This would be a first for me as evey pitcock I have seen has had a screen to trap gunk from the tank. As to the ear plug if it desolves no problem, if it floats still no problem. Let us know the out come. Rod

hey bud!

i dropped two brand new earplugs in a jar of gasoline ,this morning, just to see what they'd do.

guess what, they float. they don't appear to be soaking up any gas, or sinking, or falling apart. so maybe you have no problem, after all.

just jt

I wonder if you'd be able to fish it out if you pulled the petcock valve. I've had mine off, but I forget just how big the opening is there.

lynn, the petcock hole ,on a first gen, is a little over a quarter of an inch wide, and maybe 1 1//2" long.

your idea might work, if the earplug winds up on the correct side of the tank,when it is drained.

just jt

Of course, you could just remove the tank next time you need a service that requires tank removal and just dump it over. I think that as log as you do not run the tank totally bone dry you will not have any problems.

Another idea is to simply siphon all of the gas out of the tank and see if the plug moves under the filler neck so you can grab it with some long hemostats.