Ok I know there is some kind of trick to getting the bike up on the center stand...so what is it? I feel like such an idiot for not being able to figure out how to get the bike on the center stand.

Does the side stand have to be up?

Nope, just make sure you have the bike standing straight up and then stand on the pad with your foot while pulling backwards on the passenger rail and handlebar. At first i found it a real pain to get the bike on the center stand but after a bit of practice of making sure the bike is not leaning (it makes it much harder to use the stand if the bike is leaning) it isnt too bad anymore as long as you have a boot on with a good solid sole.

Brian

Ok I know there is some kind of trick to getting the bike up on the center stand...so what is it? I feel like such an idiot for not being able to figure out how to get the bike on the center stand.

Does the side stand have to be up?

Nope, the side stand can be down. Even knowing all the tricks, there are times when even I can't even get one up on the center stand using conventional methods, and I'm not a flea weight. The problem is that when the pressure is low enough, or gone in the front forks and rear shock, the bike sits so low that there's barely enough room to get a toe in on the center stand pad, and standing on it is out of the question. Getting the scoot up on the CS is not a one man job... You need help. If your CLASS system is working, put max pressure in the suspension, and give it another try. You may find it easier???

It isn't a trick but something you practice until you find the right spot to stand. As someone else said, having it level side to side is important; I usually move to make contact with both "pads" before the take the main "action".

The action is your leg! You don't pull the bike up on the stand, you try to push the tang of the stand down through the pavement. The creates the leverage to lift the bike - the stand does the lifting (not you).

The technique is slightly different between my '84 and '86 due to the location and shape of the rear case guards.

For the '83-85:

1. Stand on the port side of the bike holding the bars with your left hand and port case guard with your right.

2. Stand the bike vertical - check by feeling the pad on either side of the centerstand touching as you tilt back and forth very slightly.

3. Facing the rear of the bike put the ball of your right foot on the centerstand tang. THIS STEP CAN'T BE DONE IN FLIP FLOPS, BARE FEET; You need enough sole to cushion the force you are placing on it to lever the bike up.

4. In one smooth motion roll the bike aft while your right leg concentrates your weight to lever it up.

For those who prefer a visual/verbal presentation, here's a video for you: http://www.gunlakescooters.com/Venture/VentureCenterstand.wmv

To the OP, don't feel bad, I can't get mine up on the center stand by myself either. I'm positive that it's all a matter of technique, but either genetics or poltergeists are preventing me from being able to learn these techniques. So to counter this, here's what I do. I have a pair of those drive-on ramps that you use for working on your car. I drive the front tire up about 2/3 of the way up the ramp, stand on the CS pad with my left foot, and pull the bike back using the assistance of Mr. Gravity. The ramp can easily be slid out of the way.

My problem isn't getting it up on the centerstand, but rather getting it back down. It tends to skip across the floor if I try to bump it off the centerstand while sitting on it. I usually have to dismount, then keep my foot on the centerstand footpad to get the bike back down. (Maybe the concrete floor is too smooth, slippery)? In any case, I've not had a problem rocking it up onto the stand....just takes a bit of ummmphhhhh!

Best of luck.:cool10:

My problem isn't getting it up on the centerstand, but rather getting it back down. It tends to skip across the floor if I try to bump it off the centerstand while sitting on it....
Maybe a small piece of carpet or even a shop towel under the centerstand would help.

I had the same problem on my 83.. Tried keeping the air levels high.. not much helped and I'm 6"4 230......The only thing I found that made it easy was to simply leave a 1 x 10 section of board in the garage and drive up on that with the rear wheel leaving enough space to get the center stand down. with the rear wheel up a bit , it was much easier..

Also be sure to let the bike rest on the center stand. Sometimes until you are used to it, it feels like you're almost over too far, but be sure both legs are down well..then.. follow the other advice given here.. the board will really help..

My 84 pops right up like nothing, but the 83 was nearly impossible.. why I don't know.

Good luck,:322:

Clay

It isn't a trick but something you practice until you find the right spot to stand. As someone else said, having it level side to side is important; I usually move to make contact with both "pads" before the take the main "action".

The action is your leg! You don't pull the bike up on the stand, you try to push the tang of the stand down through the pavement. The creates the leverage to lift the bike - the stand does the lifting (not you).

The technique is slightly different between my '84 and '86 due to the location and shape of the rear case guards.

For the '83-85:

1. Stand on the port side of the bike holding the bars with your left hand and port case guard with your right.

2. Stand the bike vertical - check by feeling the pad on either side of the centerstand touching as you tilt back and forth very slightly.

3. Facing the rear of the bike put the ball of your right foot on the centerstand tang. THIS STEP CAN'T BE DONE IN FLIP FLOPS, BARE FEET; You need enough sole to cushion the force you are placing on it to lever the bike up.

4. In one smooth motion roll the bike aft while your right leg concentrates your weight to lever it up.

For those who prefer a visual/verbal presentation, here's a video for you: http://www.gunlakescooters.com/Venture/VentureCenterstand.wmv

Hey nice job on the video:thumbsup: Craig

:thumbsup2:

For the '83-85:

# 5 YOU GOTTA put some ARSE behind it!!!!!-----and make some male gutteral sound--

# 5 YOU GOTTA put some ARSE behind it!!!!!-----and make some male gutteral sound--

quote.gif

That's the only way I can get my 84 up, that and making sure the ground is solid. I have a gravel driveway and I can't get it up. Not even with a board under it.

My problem isn't getting it up on the centerstand, but rather getting it back down. It tends to skip across the floor if I try to bump it off the centerstand while sitting on it. I usually have to dismount, then keep my foot on the centerstand footpad to get the bike back down. (Maybe the concrete floor is too smooth, slippery)? In any case, I've not had a problem rocking it up onto the stand....just takes a bit of ummmphhhhh!

Best of luck.:cool10:

I put my left foot in front of the CS so that it cant scoot and push the bike forward, comes off EZ.

I thought I was doing something wrong though because the guy I bougt the bike from weighs MAYBE 160, and he had it up on the CS before I saw what he had done.

I guess I'm not the only one who has ever had a problem getting the beast up onto the CS. That makes me feel a little better.

Thanks for the help guys, and the video!

:thumbsup2:

Yeah. The gutteral sound helps a lot, but there might be something else. I haven't quite worked out the physics, but I do know that this particular bike has new springs which make the front sit up quite a bit from it former saggy self.

It could be that the geometry of the stand was designed for the normal "ride heights" for a new bike and a front end that sits low makes it quite a bit harder.

Come to think of it, I think that getting it up on the stand if there is any kind of front-down, downhill tilt makes it a real bear.

Once again, the new springs solve another problem!

Murph

For the '83-85:

I'd like to see him do that trick , with my '86!

he would have more to say, than"ta da"!

lol:no-no-no::no-no-no:

just jt

Owning one of these big Ventures is not for everybody....Im 6'5" and weigh 3 something (vanity) and its not that easy for me to either put the bike on or take off the CS...Don't get me wrong, its not a problem but its no piece of cake either...

Owning one of these big Ventures is not for everybody....Im 6'5" and weigh 3 something (vanity) and its not that easy for me to either put the bike on or take off the CS...Don't get me wrong, its not a problem but its no piece of cake either...

LOL

BOB, if you are that big, and have trouble putting it on the c.s..think about MY problems , at 5'10" and 130# soaking wet!

i have had to use the assistance of a floor jack, under the trailer hitch!

lol

just jt:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Well I went out and tried the technique showed in the video today. It went right up without too much issue. I put it up on the CS several more times just to make sure I had the hang of it. The most important thing I found is that you have to "follow through" when pushing down with your right leg. Using the passenger grab rail is what made the biggest difference for me. By grabbing it I could use the power in my leg to really push down and through the stand. Before I wasn't using the grab rail and I simply couldn't generate enough force to get the bike up on the CS before I lost my balance from "riding" the peg into the air.

Thanks for the help guys!

Chris

Guest Ken8143
Well I went out and tried the technique showed in the video today. It went right up without too much issue. I put it up on the CS several more times just to make sure I had the hang of it. The most important thing I found is that you have to "follow through" when pushing down with your right leg. Using the passenger grab rail is what made the biggest difference for me. By grabbing it I could use the power in my leg to really push down and through the stand. Before I wasn't using the grab rail and I simply couldn't generate enough force to get the bike up on the CS before I lost my balance from "riding" the peg into the air.

Thanks for the help guys!

Chris

And another thing - make triple sure the front wheel is pointed straight, even while pulling back on the handle bar.