IGNORED

Full Face Helmet Recommendations

birin

I was wondering if anyone can provide any recommendations around a good full face helmet. I have been reading a lot about the value of a full face versus the 3/4 and I am thinking about changing. Some areas of concern for me:

venting

wicking material liner

removable liner

headset capable liner

sun visors

weight

safety rating

I would appreciate any recommendations or any links to some good helmet review info.

Personally, I like my Shoei RF-900. The padding is removable but not as friendly as some I have seen. Shoei has newer models than mine but I cannot tell you about them.

My wife has a HJC and the padding is very easy to remove and has plenty of extra room for headsets.

J&M has helmets with the headsets built right in and the cable actually mounts to the helmet - cable does not hang between the padding and helmet. You will pay a pretty penny for these though.

Hope that helps some.

Lori and I really like the Arai. They come in three basic shapes from average oval to more oval to more round to fit your head shape. Then there are different thicknesses of cheek pads available. Get these variables right and there's nothing more comfortable. Nothing else fits as well except by accident. Venting is good. Smoked and tinted shields are available. They're expensive, but I'm glad we have them. Once in a while I think I want to ride without a helmet on - I want the wind in my hair or whatever, but I don't get very far up the road before I miss having it on. The ride is more comfortable to have it on.

G-Max is disent helmet, and has that light filing on the head. Price is not bad

Here is Link:

http://store.dsrpowersports.com/gmmohe.html

I Have one of thid and this is best helmet for cold weather rides.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=116803

Or Check Out This Web Site:

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Helmets/Modular-Flipup;jsessionid=0a0106521f43a9b4b466fb5747baafe4aec19efeb433.e3eSc34RbhyRe34Pa38Ta38Sahr0

Good Luck

Be sure to try one on, because you may not be able to return a mail order helmet.

Also, be VERY careful buying a super cheap helmet. Is your head/life worth more than $100?, if so, then spend more and get a better helmet. IN this case, you really do get what you pay for almost every time.

HJC makes a nice modular (chin bar flips up to make putting on, and dealing with glasses etc much easier) with a super neat flip down sun shield INSIDE the main shield. This I like.

Modulars aren't quite as strong in an accident as a true full face, but the compromise is worth it to some.

I like the Nolan helmets, mainly because of the neat one hand capable chin strap attachment mechanism. Haven't seen this on any other, I am sure they have a patent, but there may be something similar from some others. I don't like dealing with D Rings after years of autocrossing and track events.

Nolan has removable liners, take to sound systems easy, and you can get most models with headsets/microphone already installed.

I went through several "economical" helmets before getting my nolan and I'm sorry I waited so long. I can now ride all day and my head is not what hurts anymore.

venting: Is ok. It's hard for me to tell behind the fairing and windscreen.

wicking material liner: Great liner. Very comfy.

removable liner: Yes it is removeable.

headset capable liner: Ye very much so. It is designed to be cut out for headsets. I just put mine under the liner.

sun visors: It comes standard with an neat half sun shade outside the visor. Unfortunatately with the venture's windshield I ride with my visor open most of the time so I cant use it. The new HJC has a sunscreen tht comes down from inside the helmet: Very neat but I did not like the fit.

weight: as good as any other modular I have worn, however it is going to be heavier than 3/4s or non-modular full face.

safety rating: Dot approved / Not snell

In addition:

1. It is the easiest opeing modular I have tried (one hand center).

2. It as the best chin strap ever (cam buckle, no d rings) I can don/doff it with my winter gloves on.

3. I like the fact the tab for raising the shield is in the center. Easy to raise with either hand

It is a little on the expensive side and may not be for everyone, but I love it!

If they only made nolan pants that could make my butt feel that good after a long day riding! :rotf:

In the past 10 years I have purchased 3 modular full face helmets and every one of them FOGS up in cold weather. And these type helmets are expensive to buy and even more so when you can't use them in cold weather.

check out webBikeWorld site. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm They have alot of reviews on all different types of helmets and it might be a great place to start in your search and help point you in a direction. They find a dealer with the helmet of your choice and try it on and see if you like it or not.

Good Luck...

Rick F...

In the past 10 years I have purchased 3 modular full face helmets and every one of them FOGS up in cold weather. And these type helmets are expensive to buy and even more so when you can't use them in cold weather.

I bought the Nolan modular and have had many problems with fogging up in the past. If I can recommend the Nolan for only one reason it's because with their anti fog shield I have never had it fog up. Every other helmet I have had, including the Nolan without the shield installed, would fog up early in the morning on the way to work. Installed their shield and have not had a problem yet. The anti fog shield comes with the helmet and takes about 10 mins to install.

Now ventillation during the summer is sub par but even with my Shoei and HJC it's about the same behind my XXL screen. Not enough airflow to keep the interior of the helmet cool. So no better or worse than the others.

I do like the flip down sun visor also. Nice to be able to go from dark to light and vice versa without having to hunt down or store a set of sunglasses.

I have the Shoei RF 1000, great helmet in all aspects except one, the ability to install intercom headsets. I figured it would be no problem, I'm pretty handy, but couldn't figure it out. So I called J&M and got a tech on the line and asked if he could help guide me. He said "Sure, we do it all the time. What kind of helmet is it?" I said "Shoei RF 1000. There was silence for a few seconds and he replied, "Ahh, that's a tough one, I recommend you send it in and let us do it. We warranty the work and if we screw the helmet up we will replace it".

Seeing the Shoeis were not cheap to begin with, I sent them in.

Long story short, we love the helmets, but with two helmets, intercom headsets and installation, they cost more than my wife's engagement ring. Sure, that was a long time ago, BUT STILL!

I currently have an HJC Sy-max helmet, and I love it. it is a modular, so the front flips up. I have also seen that HJC just released the sy-max 2 helmet, which now incorporates a slide down visor/sunscreen similar to those in fighter pilot helmets. I think I may have to get one.

Sonny

My wife and both have the Sy-Max II and truely love them. The flip up chin bar makes getting the helmet on and off a breeze. The flip down sun visor is a good feature too. I installed the speakers in the helmet with no problem at all. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the mic boom inside the chin bar though. The only complaint I have with the Sy-Max II is there needs to be a bit more room between your chin and the inside. It seems a little close.

Other than that.... :thumbsup:

Guest Ken8143

I got the Arai Quantum and love it. I tried many other ones, but none of them seem to fit my head or feel as comfortable. I hate helmets that dont fit right and you get brush burn on your forehead and top of your head.

Arai is expensive, but for me, worth it.

Plus, she who must be obeyed said if I was going to ride I had to have a very good helmet.

She loves me for my brains, I guess.

• 2 months later...

I read this post a while back but could not comment until my last few Rides at 35 Degrees. This Full Face HJC Model# CL-SP and has 3 vents and has not FOGGED up. Good luck finding a SAFE Helmet.

:thumbsup2: