IGNORED

A graphic safety video

Guest BluesLover

Guest BluesLover

Now ... I thought long and hard about whether to post this or nor, given what happened to Tom Patterson last week - if I offend anyone, especially, the Patterson family, please let it be known that the intent was totally the opposite - it was to remind us all of how vulnerable we are when we are on our iron horses.

The link attached should be a sobering reminder that when we are on two wheels we need to be fully aware of everything and everyone around us. If we aren't, chances are that nobody else will be looking out for us.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/landing/E737D6A3377A4C66A864957B8E39BE3E/requiem-for-a-biker.aspx

The video is fairly long (12+ minutes) and does have some graphic scenes.

That was well worth the 2 hr download

Here's the translation for the captions:

This film is meant to warn of the possible dangers that could happen on the road.

1 out of 10 roads users is a rider.

In 70% of MC \ cage accidents the cager didn't see or seen the rider too late.

Not enough cagers figure MC into the daily traffic pattern.

MC must realize their vulnerable postion in traffic

A MC is vulnerable

Riders have more difficulty with road hazzards such as pot holes, branches, wild life, than what cagers do.

About 20% of auto accidents are fatal.

About 60% of MC accidents are fatal.

Because of his small profile the rider seems to be farther away than he really is.

Riders often use the engine as a brake and so fail to show a brake light.

In MC jargon the guardrail is seen as a guilotine or french fry cutter.

Painted lines are slippery business.

IN MEMEORY OF OUR FRIENDS.

Lots of examples of drivers not seeing or giving right of way at intersections. One of the most common causes of scoot crashes. I've already had a few do that to me this season. Had a real close call last season. I have to keep reminding myself that they're likely to do it.

Please Watch Those Intersections!

I had a semi-close call Monday evening near Devil’s Tower when a semi-truck pulled out in front of me. The semi-truck was turning left from SR-24 onto US-14 and I was turning left from US-14 to SR-24. I had the right-of-way. He was at a stop sign. He let the car in front of me turn and then pulled squarely into my path. :eek: I suspected he might do just that so it really wasn’t that close a call, but I laid on the horn and gave him a one-finger salute.:no-no-no: He then stopped in the middle of the road and I went behind him and on my way. :buttkick: We really are invisible.

Lots of examples of drivers not seeing or giving right of way at intersections.

Lots of examples of BIKERS not riding correctly. Passing in a no passing zone, going too fast for conditions, not scanning or covering brakes.

The one of the lady who turns left into the gas station but stays in the lane a bit then the guy on the bike slams in to her at 40mph. Sheesh...sorry...but you should have seen that one a mile away.

I'm not minimizing any rider's death or accident nor am I trying to trivialize the risks inherent in our choice to ride a bike but danggum...most accidents can be avoided with a proactive approach.

After a video like that no wonder most folks still don't see bikes as a viable transportation device here in the US and only see it as a risky, pleasure sport. I can appreciate the "scared straight" tactic but I think I'll stick to watching my Motorcycle Cop Training Videos. :)

Did anyone else notice that 95% of those bikes that were wrecked were sportbikes?

Lots of examples of BIKERS not riding correctly. Passing in a no passing zone, going too fast for conditions, not scanning or covering brakes.

The one of the lady who turns left into the gas station but stays in the lane a bit then the guy on the bike slams in to her at 40mph. Sheesh...sorry...but you should have seen that one a mile away.

I'm not minimizing any riders death or accident or trying to trivialize the risks inherent in our choice to ride a bike but danggum...most accidents can be avoided with a proactive approach.

After a video like that no wonder most folks still don't see bikes as a viable transportation device here in the US and only see it as a risky, pleasure sport. I can appreciate the "scared straight" tactic but I think I'll stick to watching my Motorcycle Cop Training Videos. :)

Did anyone else notice that 95% of those bikes that were wrecked were sportbikes?

:sign yeah that:

I noticed as well. Didn't do the math, but thought it was closer to 100%

I say some UJM's and a touring bike wrecked.

I wanted to add that I most certainly am NOT anti-sport bike. No way, no how...however, they only represent about 35-40% of the registered motorcycles in the US.

I would agree, whenever there is an accident in my home town I am always interested in the details in order to educate myself in accident avoidance. In many many of the cases what happened, heppened because the rider was doing something stupid. What upsets me even more is when I see some young buck with a sweet little chicky poo on the back and the moron is riding like an idiot.

The one that had the cop car right there as the biker was tee bones was actually a Bank robber who took hostages, then demanded a sport bike as a getaway car. He got two blocks when that unmarked car took him out.

It was a good video. I agree with Monsta in that the Ride Like A Pro video series is better for good riding education. (They are very good) But I also like to be reminded of the need to ride well by learning from anothers mistake.

Continuing Rider Education, it's very important.

Joe

• 6 months later...

As I driver trainer and educater, I've seen and heard this many times over. It's the same thing over & over again. People, the general driving public, both in the USA & Canada are not properly educated when it comes to motorcycles and large vehicles (trucks). I believe that our governments need to apply stricter laws and more education in obtaining a drivers license. Also, there are so many distractions for drivers, such as cell phones, passengers talking, radios, etc. As a professional truck driver with 29 years over the road experience, (now a driver trainer) I have seen my fair share of crap out there. The worst drivers out there are the young males & females because of their lack of experience. There must be more education for new drivers and stiffer penalties for drivers who are careless and must be held accountable for their actions and our governments must do something about it.

Having been involved in 2 serious bike/car collisions in my 28 years of riding, both of which involved intersections, that video brought back some very scary memories. The one with the car who runs the red, was exactly what occured to me the first time, second was on a blind curve, only to have a car make a left directly in front of me. Both times resulted in hospital time, second much more serious than the first. If it had not been for the fact that I had been instructing riding for over a year, and made a number of moves to lessan the impact, the second one could have been fatal. I don't beleive in scare tactics when instructing, but I did use my experiences to point out the importance of "ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS". I get so P'offed when I see a biker do something blatently stupid in traffic, as they only represent a small minority of us who ride safely and responsibly.

Jim

Use a reminder to make us more aware of what goes on around us, I lost count of how many times I have been cut off or almost had a vehicle pull out in front of me.........This video is enuff to scare some out of riding.......maybe thats a good thing. Makes me think twice about doing something stupid.

That was well worth the 2 hr download

Here's the translation for the captions:

This film is meant to warn of the possible dangers that could happen on the road.

1 out of 10 roads users is a rider.

In 70% of MC \ cage accidents the cager didn't see or seen the rider too late.

Not enough cagers figure MC into the daily traffic pattern.

MC must realize their vulnerable postion in traffic

A MC is vulnerable

Riders have more difficulty with road hazzards such as pot holes, branches, wild life, than what cagers do.

About 20% of auto accidents are fatal.

About 60% of MC accidents are fatal.

Because of his small profile the rider seems to be farther away than he really is.

Riders often use the engine as a brake and so fail to show a brake light.

In MC jargon the guardrail is seen as a guilotine or french fry cutter.

Painted lines are slippery business.

IN MEMEORY OF OUR FRIENDS.

This needs to be re-visited come spring.

Thanks for the translations, I couldn't catch what all of them said. It's been a long time since I read any German. (or a language of Germanic root.)

I did notice a lot of mistakes made by the bikers. Some of them caused the accidents. There are careless drivers on 2 wheels as well as four wheels. I think part of the reason for the vast number of sport bike wrecks is because those bikes can go that fast. On my RSV I can make her 'GO' but not like I could on a sport bike. If I rode a sport bike, I'd be dead by now. That I know because I know I would just twist that throttle and maker her 'GO'.

Guest KitCarson

Hey guys!! How about something cheerful? I will agree, this kind of film is a good wake up for advanced riders, but gee, you might just scare new guys totally away!! I was just like these guys in the film when I was young, did not have a care in the world, and had some very serious accidents, but I survived it all, and due to gaining some sense, and ocassionally going to a safety class, and actually training myself to be a defensive rider, I have now rode for 34 years with out any kind of serious accident, the absolute worst thing I have done was a couple years ago I dropped my Harley in the grocery store parking lot(Whoops). Hey if I am coming into a blind corner, I throttle down, I am expecting the worst, when I approach an intersection I also throttle down, go into third gear, be ready for it, you already know it will happen, when it does, do not even worry about it, just avoid it and go on. Out for a lazy afternoon ride, doing the speed limit and cars trying to get around you, keep hard to the left of the lane, so you can simply move over when they cut in too soon.

Oh and riding in a group............I used to a lot, recently did also.........I gradually worked my way to the back, untill I was the last one before the tailgunner, with the rubber band effect with this group, we were sitting on 85-90 at times....even when on the stable straight and narrrow, still clipping along at 75.........so this boy wishes to live to see tomorrow..........group riding when everyone gets out and gets to feeling their wheaties.....hey fellows it is not a race. So I simply promised myself......never again........had too much experience in that stuff and it always gets out of hand. Safety kinda goes out the window.

Okay I will shut up!! But some of you have many more computer skills than I have........simple films on proper braking, defensive riding, maybe information on where these things can be purchased........constructive things.....not so much blood and gore!! I have seen a lot of bad things, Vietnam.......car and bike wrecks when I was a policeman, and this film even makes my skin crawl.......How bout something cheerful? Kit

Hey guys!! How about something cheerful? I will agree, this kind of film is a good wake up for advanced riders, but gee, you might just scare new guys totally away!! I was just like these guys in the film when I was young, did not have a care in the world, and had some very serious accidents, but I survived it all, and due to gaining some sense, and ocassionally going to a safety class, and actually training myself to be a defensive rider, I have now rode for 34 years with out any kind of serious accident, the absolute worst thing I have done was a couple years ago I dropped my Harley in the grocery store parking lot(Whoops). Hey if I am coming into a blind corner, I throttle down, I am expecting the worst, when I approach an intersection I also throttle down, go into third gear, be ready for it, you already know it will happen, when it does, do not even worry about it, just avoid it and go on. Out for a lazy afternoon ride, doing the speed limit and cars trying to get around you, keep hard to the left of the lane, so you can simply move over when they cut in too soon.

Oh and riding in a group............I used to a lot, recently did also.........I gradually worked my way to the back, untill I was the last one before the tailgunner, with the rubber band effect with this group, we were sitting on 85-90 at times....even when on the stable straight and narrrow, still clipping along at 75.........so this boy wishes to live to see tomorrow..........group riding when everyone gets out and gets to feeling their wheaties.....hey fellows it is not a race. So I simply promised myself......never again........had too much experience in that stuff and it always gets out of hand. Safety kinda goes out the window.

Okay I will shut up!! But some of you have many more computer skills than I have........simple films on proper braking, defensive riding, maybe information on where these things can be purchased........constructive things.....not so much blood and gore!! I have seen a lot of bad things, Vietnam.......car and bike wrecks when I was a policeman, and this film even makes my skin crawl.......How bout something cheerful

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: