IGNORED

A graphic safety video

Guest BluesLover

using Johnny Cash's song Hurt was a GREAT choice of music.

"Hurt"

I hurt myself today

To see if I still feel

I focus on the pain

The only thing that's real

The needle tears a hole

The old familiar sting

Try to kill it all away

But I remember everything

[Chorus:]

What have I become

My sweetest friend

Everyone I know goes away

In the end

And you could have it all

My empire of dirt

I will let you down

I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns

Upon my liar's chair

Full of broken thoughts

I cannot repair

Beneath the stains of time

The feelings disappear

You are someone else

I am still right here

[Chorus:]

What have I become

My sweetest friend

Everyone I know goes away

In the end

And you could have it all

My empire of dirt

I will let you down

I will make you hurt

If I could start again

A million miles away

I would keep myself

I would find a way

I think they showed many mistakes by mortorcyclists as well as a few by cagers...

We as motorcyclists have to take risk management more to the heart!!!!!!!!!!

I recommend that we all attend a motorcycle safety course annually, and RIDE DEFENSIVELY!!!

BTW can anybody translate the text and the speech on the soundtrack?

As this video takes away my appetite it also reinforces the need to constantly work on our own safety and skills as we ride. It is a reminder that we are vulnerable and need to be ever so vigilant about improving our riding abilities and be in control - and not have others control it.

• 5 weeks later...

That opens your eyes. Somebody at our local motorcycle site(novascotiabikers.com) suggested that since we do so many charity rides all summer, that the first one of each riding season should be done for ourselves. Meaning the money raised can be used for advertising in the local papers throughout the year or anything else to helps bring attention to cagers that bikes are on the move again after a long winter of hibernation. If anything a show of force at the beginning of the riding season will make people aware that bikes are back on the road. For us seasonal riders I think this is a very good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
That opens your eyes. Somebody at our local motorcycle site(novascotiabikers.com) suggested that since we do so many charity rides all summer, that the first one of each riding season should be done for ourselves. Meaning the money raised can be used for advertising in the local papers throughout the year or anything else to helps bring attention to cagers that bikes are on the move again after a long winter of hibernation. If anything a show of force at the beginning of the riding season will make people aware that bikes are back on the road. For us seasonal riders I think this is a very good idea.

We have 2 rallys a year down here, it is " Bikers for Bikers" raises money to help out fellow bikers in a time of great need.. I think the web site is bikersforbikers.com

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched the video with my wife. Very SOBERING indeed. I agree that a lot of the accidents were preventable and that nearly all the bikes were sport bikes BUT it also includes us all. We can ride accident free for decades but it doesn't exempt us from a fatal accident. It only takes ONE mistake on a bike. Sometimes the longer we ride accident free the more complacent we become. Before my wife and starting riding we attended the MSF Rider Course as many of you have. Great course. One of the instructors made the comment: If you want to see how safety conscious people are then watch them while they walk. The safe ones constantly scan the area in front of them, are very aware and are ready to quick step to the left or right or stop to avoid someone who is not paying attention. "Muscle memory". Ever notice the ones who are pre-occupied with other things while the walk they bump into someone (who is also pre-occupied) and the two blame each other for not paying attention. That carries over to their driving skills as well! Be prepared for the "pre-occupied"!

Anywho... Good video.... Ride safe! Jerry

Lots of examples of BIKERS not riding correctly. Passing in a no passing zone, going too fast for conditions, not scanning or covering brakes.

The one of the lady who turns left into the gas station but stays in the lane a bit then the guy on the bike slams in to her at 40mph. Sheesh...sorry...but you should have seen that one a mile away.

I'm not minimizing any rider's death or accident nor am I trying to trivialize the risks inherent in our choice to ride a bike but danggum...most accidents can be avoided with a proactive approach.

After a video like that no wonder most folks still don't see bikes as a viable transportation device here in the US and only see it as a risky, pleasure sport. I can appreciate the "scared straight" tactic but I think I'll stick to watching my Motorcycle Cop Training Videos. :)

Did anyone else notice that 95% of those bikes that were wrecked were sportbikes?

man what a great insightful post. i watched that video several times and was right on track with your response.

check out the HURT report, read "Ride like a Pro" and "Ride Hard, Ride Safe" and many others. I'm new this forum but i think most of us are "under-represented" in the insurance industries. make your own concusions, of course.