IGNORED

Want to add extra brake lights.......need ideas please!

mashley

Hey, I recently purchased my 08 RSTD and I would like to add some extra brake lights to the bike. The problem is I cant really decide where or what kind I want to go with. :think: I have the wrap around saddle bag guards on the bike. If you could please give me some suggestions and pics of what you have done if you have them.

Also has anyone installed a headlight pulsator on there RSTD would like to know how well that works.

Thanks to all!

I added the wing on mmy trunk lid, I guess you can't do that on a RSTD though.

What I also added was Hyperlites................ www.hyperlites.com, I like the way they look and work.

I also put the LED rings in. They glue to the rear turn signal lenses and run as running lights and also as extra brake lights, but the turn signals stay amber.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/other-lighting/tsk-star&sport.htm

No pics but the back of my 05 is pretty well lit up.

Others had added the Harley set up but I dont have a link.

Hope this helps

This is what the tail end of a Venture looks like with the Harley lights. Easy to hook up and they look great. Still have the standard bulbs in 'em. You could get more light with LEDs.

RR

http://2000rsv.smugmug.com/photos/332730279_exZhQ-M.jpg

Seforeman has the right information for you. There is nothing as cheap, or more expensive that looks as good. I have one on my bike and it works great and many people comment on how good it looks. Here's the address to the light.

http://signaldynamics.com/products/LightBars/15ultra.asp

Go to the hardware store and buy 2= 1 inch bushings that you can put a #10 screw through. I got some made from plastic at the local Lowe's lumber store. These move the light bar out from under the trunk just enough so that it doesn't touch the trunk. Get 2 #10 x 1 1/2 inch stainless screws and some self locking nuts. Pull the rubber back on the helmut mounting rig under the trunk and the holes in the led light bar will line up with these perfectly. You can mount the light without even drilling a hole!!! I can't remember the wiring colors for it but you can figure it out easily.

Hope this helps. You won't be dissappointed. It looks like it's made for the bike.

A guy I have met a few times has changed out the signal light sockets and bulbs on his scoot and done some rewiring so that when he puts the brakes on one filament in the signals come on also. the signals run on the other filament in the new 2 filament bulb. I was thinking this might be a way to be a bit more visible without a lot of modding and messing around. I am wondering if it would be legal tho.....

Brian

A guy I have met a few times has changed out the signal light sockets and bulbs on his scoot and done some rewiring so that when he puts the brakes on one filament in the signals come on also. the signals run on the other filament in the new 2 filament bulb. I was thinking this might be a way to be a bit more visible without a lot of modding and messing around. I am wondering if it would be legal tho.....

Brian

It is legal only if you have red lenses on the signals.

Goose

Here's my rear end!

Love that RadiantZ tail light board. Too bad they don't make 'em like that anymore. I note that they do make what appears to be the same board for the VTX. I've sent them an email about whether it's the same one turned upside down, and/or if it'll work. I love this light! It's poke your eye bright, probably not really legal since the feds say the light can not glare, but I don't care. It's bright even in the day time.

Vin

The LED Rings that you installed from Electrical Connection come as a complete kit ? Does it add much in the way of lighting? It appears to be an easy install.

Keith

Yep, came with everything. Adds a nice touch, not really bright but every lil bit of light helps back there. I think it was about 50 - 75 bucks.

This may sound like an over-simplified fix, but I took one of those leds light things that bicyclers wear on their leg or arm and scotch taped it between the upright bars on the passenger backrest. At night when I ride, I simply push the top activator button for which ever one of six different combinations of the six lights that I want to have flashing. This is not a brake light but rather just a flashing warning light for cagers approaching from the rear. Hope I explained that correctly.

The LED Rings that you installed from Electrical Connection come as a complete kit ? Does it add much in the way of lighting? It appears to be an easy install.

Keith

Keith, I have the rings as well and yes it is a complete kit. Pretty simple install, just remove the turn signals to run it through the stems...trust me, lots easier. I ended up wiring them up behind the license plate. Works like a champ...

I flash them a little with the Radiantz tail light 1:05 in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

for the youtube deprived, direct link of mp4 vid: Clicky, clicky

Keep in mind, broad daylight (~1300hrs)...I work swing shift and the quite bright when I am riding.....

attached are a couple of pics at dusk....

Edited by AmnChode
added a couple more pics...

I added the wing on mmy trunk lid, I guess you can't do that on a RSTD though.

What I also added was Hyperlites................ www.hyperlites.com, I like the way they look and work.

I also put the LED rings in. They glue to the rear turn signal lenses and run as running lights and also as extra brake lights, but the turn signals stay amber.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/other-lighting/tsk-star&sport.htm

No pics but the back of my 05 is pretty well lit up.

Others had added the Harley set up but I dont have a link.

Hope this helps

here is some video of the rings installed on mine.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18431