IGNORED

Ride On - Didn't work this time

midnightrider54

Back a couple months ago I had a new tires put on. So I purchased some ride on and added it to the tires. This evening I went out to take a ride and the rear tire was flat. Checked and found a small nail in it. So pumped up the tire and pulled the nail out but it did not seal itself.

According to Ride On's web site. It's suppose to seal up to 1/4" diameter. The nail is very close to the 1/4".

The rear tires on the Roadliner are not cheap! But you can't ride without one!!!!

After you pumped it up did you ride it for a block or so? Was the nail outside of the sealing area of the ride on?

After pummping up the tire and prior to pulling the nail out. I rode about 2 or 3 miles to warm up the tire in hopes of distrubing the ride on around the nail area. Once I pulled the nail out it was leaking so bad I don't think I would have made it back home.

The nail was just off center. I did plug it until I can get a new tire.

Chuck,

Without starting everyone up on tire repair get a new tire as soon as possible. Plugs, from a tire repair standpoint are a temporary fix. I hear all the naysayers complaining about that statement, but replace the tire or have it removed and patched from the inside. be safe bud....there are more M&E and rally to go to :happy34:

Without starting everyone up on tire repair get a new tire as soon as possible. Plugs, from a tire repair standpoint are a temporary fix. I hear all the naysayers complaining about that statement, but replace the tire or have it removed and patched from the inside. be safe bud....there are more M&E and rally to go to :happy34:

Brad,

I couldn't agree more! But I don't have a jack or stand. So without putting a plug in I would not be able to get it to the shop to have it changed.

Did you get the Nail before, or After you put the stuff in??

If it got you home, after you picked up the Nail, then it did its Job

George,

I guess your right! But these tires are not cheap! Only two brands made to fit, Bridgestone and Dunlop. You can only get the Dunlop from a Yamaha Dealer. And this one only has about 3,000 miles on it.

I guess I need to count my blessings and not my money!

Man, do I hear you. I'm getting ready to head to MN to see the wife today, starting out in Topeka, KS. I came down on Mon/Tues and a patch let go about 70 miles south of the ND/SD line. Ended up barely getting off the interstate, standing out in the sun and wind for about an hour and a half before my ride finally showed up to get me over to Milbank to try to fix it. The patch was obviously poorly installed, so it took a bunch of calls and a lot of luck to track down a suitable replacement. Long story short, 11 hours to go 400 miles, and just about $300 for a new tire/labor. Just hope this one holds.

George,

I guess your right! But these tires are not cheap! Only two brands made to fit, Bridgestone and Dunlop. You can only get the Dunlop from a Yamaha Dealer. And this one only has about 3,000 miles on it.

I guess I need to count my blessings and not my money!

I bet if you had put the nail back in to seal the hole, aired up the tire, and then rode on it, it would have sealed. I bet you picked that nail up close to home and the Ride-On did not get a chance to seal it up proper. Just ponderin'...

BTW...:stirthepot:

Luke, I am your father...

http://attema.net/Dominique/Dark%20Side/DSCN6335.jpg

Back a couple months ago I had a new tires put on. So I purchased some ride on and added it to the tires. This evening I went out to take a ride and the rear tire was flat. Checked and found a small nail in it. So pumped up the tire and pulled the nail out but it did not seal itself.

According to Ride On's web site. It's suppose to seal up to 1/4" diameter. The nail is very close to the 1/4".

The rear tires on the Roadliner are not cheap! But you can't ride without one!!!!

You have to air the tire up, pull the nail out and ride it a few blocks to seal it properly. If you just pulled the nail and it leaked air and you didnt ride it, it just might not seal. I had the same issue several years ago with an Avon rear with 1k on it. I followed the above procedure which was told to me by Ride-On themselves. I put another 12k on the tire after that.