IGNORED

New house, I hope.

a1bummer

Trying to get out of the whole rental situations and become an owner. Going to go take a look at a house this evening. :banana:I'm so sick of landlords who think they can control every aspect of your being just because it's they own the joint. My current landlords were pretty good till this spring. All kinds of new strange rules. He showed up on my doorstep a few weeks ago saying the neighbors were complaining about junk vehicles. I told him I don't have any. He pointed out my old Ford and said it has been sitting in the same spot since last fall and such. Then he said I wasn't allowed to have any incapacitated or unregistered vehicles in the yard. All vehicles are supposed to be parked in the garage. My garage is not to be used for storage. (Wouldn't keeping your care in the garage when not in use be considered storing it?) I told him it had current tabs and wasn't incapacitated. He started getting an attitude, then I told him to leave. I got a copy of my lease in the mail about a week later with all the rules he thought I was breaking highlighted. :bawling:Not a one of them was I actually breaking except for my truck being parked outside. I don't know what he expects if the truck is to tall to fit through the dang garage door.

Now why would a landlord care if you car is parked outside? Why would he care what you keep in your garage? Why would a landlord think it's cool to limit tenants to only two vehicles when it's a 3 or 4 bedroom unit when both parents and the kid all work different shifts?

I'll quit my complaining now.

I hope this is a place I and my better half can both agree on. I don't mind having to to some work on the place. I'm handy that way. Besides, when is it you find something that's exactly the way you want it anyway?

Wish me :080402gudl_prv:?

Going into a home, to purchase, can have an HOA (Home Owner Association) that can and will climb up your backside for anything. And, get away with it - fines too.

There is a guy I work with that has an HOA that is currently harassing him about the height of his grass. The HOA says it can only between 1-3 inches. He likes to keep it at about 1/2 inch. It's all green too!

So, when you are looking, check to see if it a part of the neighborhood HOA (if it has one). If the community has a website (some do), there you will get an idea of how the HOA in that community is.

They charge a yearly fee too.

Good luck to you. I hope it works out. I know how stressful it can be looking for a new home. Eileen and I have actually discussed selling ours and downsizing to a smaller yard. Then when one of us gets serious about it, the other starts having a change of heart. We really do love our place. Besides, now is NOT a really good time to be trying to sell...it is a great buyers market though. You should be able to make a good deal.

Thanx for the heads up.

I like to think, live and let live myself. If it isn't causing an environmental or health hazard, whose business should it be anyway? But then on the other hand, I wouldn't want my neighbors mess to bring down the value of my own property.

Good luck to you. I hope it works out. I know how stressful it can be looking for a new home. Eileen and I have actually discussed selling ours and downsizing to a smaller yard. Then when one of us gets serious about it, the other starts having a change of heart. We really do love our place. Besides, now is NOT a really good time to be trying to sell...it is a great buyers market though. You should be able to make a good deal.

And just who would take care of the Pond Monster if you sell ????:whistling:

Been in property management for the last 20 years. I hate HOA's . As if people aint got enough to do but worry about what everybody else's place looks like. They are like a bunch of kids telling on one another when they are in their board meetings. Good luck . I won't rent again unless I have to because of health reason's or as a temporary thing.

We have outgrown our house. We have been looking too. We have liked what we have seen in Prosper. There is one (new build) that is 4200 sq. ft. with a 3 car garage and would still work out to being about what we lay out each month now. We are in 2300 sq. ft. now.

Good luck hope you find what you can live with. You're right you'll never find exactly what you want. Definitely avoid HOA they are a total PIA. We've been checking out places as well. We have a HOA and would like to get away from them.

Margaret

Home ownership is a double edged sword.

You will now have to maintain the place.

BUT, you will be building equity (paying yourself, NOT the land lord)

I think it is well worth it!!!

I purchased where there was NO HOA!!!!!!!!!

TRY to buy the least expensive home in the neighborhood as when you decide to sell, it will probably go quick!!!!!!

Big money guy, was saying that buyers should contact Banks or lenders that are sitting on Re Po's !!

He said folks are makeing deals, something like take over payments, and you have it, cause the Loan is allready on paper.

Well, maby worth checking into. See you local friendly banker ??

Who knows, you might make a good deal.

Checked it out. Beautiful 1.88 acre lot. A one car attatched garage and another 1.5 car garage that needs siding. New shingles on both. The house needs some TLC. Gotta redo the kitchen. Not a very user friendly setup, and outdated. Need to replace some facia. The floor in the living room needs to be leveled. It settled after 88 years. And the attic needs to be sealed up and insulated better, then could make another nice bedroom. I think it has potential. For the price, and what It would be worth after some work, I think it could be a good deal. Luckily I have had experience with this kind of stuff and can do the work myself and have plenty of friends with the same experience. I hope they can be bought off with brats, burgers, and beer. :whistling:

Oh ya. I'll check out the banker thing also. Thanks for the tip.

No HOA in the area either.

• 4 months later...

Carefull with old house there can be hidden problems. Check to see why floor is not level. Replacing joists can be rough and costly. Check foundation close make sure you know what is going on with it. And then if you can pound nails you will be OK.

How many nails does a Good Carpenter take home with him every day???:confused24:

ALL TEN!!!!:whistling:

Join the club on ditching rental properties. I just locked in my interest rate yesterday (5 7/8) and am now waiting for the closing date (Nov 25th) and when I start moving in (Dec 1). It is a split level, 2200 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, 2 car, and almost 1/2 acre of land; and best of all, no HOA. My son is getting excited about it also.

If you have kids, you might also want to check the pedofile (spelling?) sites for any registered folks around where you are moving to. One house I looked at had one next door. I couldn't get away from there fast enough.

:thumbsup2: Good luck in your search and purchase! :thumbsup2:

And before folks start asking, as soon as I get moved in, ya-all are welcome to visit any time you want. Hope to get a pool put in sometime in the spring. Bring your own bathing suit! No skinny dipping allowed.

Thanx for the heads up.

I like to think, live and let live myself. If it isn't causing an environmental or health hazard, whose business should it be anyway? But then on the other hand, I wouldn't want my neighbors mess to bring down the value of my own property.

Sounds like you answered your own question.......

Checked it out. Beautiful 1.88 acre lot. A one car attatched garage and another 1.5 car garage that needs siding. New shingles on both. The house needs some TLC. Gotta redo the kitchen. Not a very user friendly setup, and outdated. Need to replace some facia. The floor in the living room needs to be leveled. It settled after 88 years. And the attic needs to be sealed up and insulated better, then could make another nice bedroom. I think it has potential. For the price, and what It would be worth after some work, I think it could be a good deal. Luckily I have had experience with this kind of stuff and can do the work myself and have plenty of friends with the same experience. I hope they can be bought off with brats, burgers, and beer. :whistling:

Oh ya. I'll check out the banker thing also. Thanks for the tip.

No HOA in the area either.

Not taking anything away from your or your friend's abilities or knowledge, but spend the couple of hundred bucks it would take to have a professional, independent, third party go over the place with a fine-tooth comb and give you a written evaluation of what it needs! (money well spent) Then, if you proceed, assume nothing will go as planned, assume all costs will go up after you get in the middle of it and have twice the budget available than you think you're going to need!

don't ask!

my house is in a hoa. bot bad but but i did have a renter next door who got a free motorhome and decided to paint it with a brush orange and black and stick harley stickers on it and parked in in front of the house. i was glad for the hoa then. around here even without a hoa the county can get after you for unregistered cars and having a junk like condition of your property. So how did it go a1bummer?

Don't go rushing around and buy the first one you like. Make some offers and let them die if necessary, there's lots to choose from and more on the way, and the prices aren't going to be going up soon. Our family is in the moving stage right now, 4 to 5 of us looking to move, phone lines get hot at times.

If you pay your rent every month, the landlord should be pretty gosh darn thankful considering the economy. If the complainer pays your rent for you move the truck.

Bad advice.... The landlord can make you live up to the terms of the lease and or rental agreement. Or he can evict... which will reflect badly on future credit. Virtually every community has rules covering vehicles which they classify as abandoned, whether they are or not.

All these leases, rules etc..are to insure respect for owners, neighbors and community. Without their observance we would get a free-for-all in which no one would want to live- that's called anarchy.....

Not taking anything away from your or your friend's abilities or knowledge, but spend the couple of hundred bucks it would take to have a professional, independent, third party go over the place with a fine-tooth comb and give you a written evaluation of what it needs! (money well spent) Then, if you proceed, assume nothing will go as planned, assume all costs will go up after you get in the middle of it and have twice the budget available than you think you're going to need!

don't ask!

What he said! ! !

I had an independent go through the house I'm buying last month and this included a termite inspection and all passed with flying colors. The cost was $320 and well worth it!

Your realtor should have a list of folks that perform this job. I checked with mine and crossed with a few other folks that recently bought a home and chose the one that did my assesement.

As of today (11-10-08), I have 2 weeks to closing and 3 weeks to the beginning of moving in.