IGNORED

Beaded seat covers

BigD

Has anyone used the beaded seat covers from Cycle Crafts? ($17.50) Do you recommend beaded seats? It talks about comfort in warm weather for cooling, are they too cooling for cold weather riding? :confused24:

I'm looking forward to a long trip, and wanted something more between me and my seat. Thanks for any help?

BigD

A riding buddy of mine tried the beads.....and quickly junked em. He did not enjoy sliding around on the seat.

He has installed a nice hunk of sheepskin wool and just raves about THAT.

I'm going to slap a hunk of that sheepskin wool on my seat here shortly........soon as I can find Momma's cookie jar stash.....:whistling:

I bought the BeadRider's. To be honest, I didn't like them.

Perhaps it was because I got the 14"x14" size. It ended up covering the seat all the way up the back. I might have been happier with a cover for just the bottom of the seat and left the back uncovered.

Anyway, I took them off and a buddy of mine talked me out of it. He has it on his Suzuki and loves it.

He has installed a nice hunk of sheepskin wool and just raves about THAT.

I think it's been mentioned before, but if you're looking for a sheepskin for your seat, and you have an Ikea store close by, they have them for $20. They look to be a great size for a bike seat, and the one by us has a good sized bin you can look through to find one you like.

Paul

I bought a Walmart car seat cover and cut it to fit my bike. Tried it a few times and tossed it. Didn't enjoy 400 bumps under my backside. The sheepskin covers are much nicer. Wildhare gave Eck a cheap alternative, but I don't remember much about it.

Dave,

Ikea has those sheepskins for 19.99 & 39.99$ regarding the color.

THe one in Canton has those in inventory. I 'm going to buy one. I didn't found the right marker after the trip to Oberlin....

Still need to redo the line of my a$$$.

Stupid RS seats, why they don't do the same as the RSV on it???

:cool10::cool10::cool10:

Having just made a round trip from San Antonio to Springfield IL I find that I definitely need something to make the rear portion of my anatomy cooler. Based on comments about the beads, I am having second thoughts about them and am leaning to the sheepskins. It seems that these would be quite warm...especially the black ones...but I bow to your experiences and knowledge.

Jim T

Has anyone used the beaded seat covers from Cycle Crafts? ($17.50) Do you recommend beaded seats? It talks about comfort in warm weather for cooling, are they too cooling for cold weather riding? :confused24:

I'm looking forward to a long trip, and wanted something more between me and my seat. Thanks for any help?

BigD

Never tried the beads, but have seen plenty of them on other bikes at gatherings.

My vote would be for the sheepskin. I had a fitted sheepskin cover on a Goldwing saddle and it was great. I still got buttburn in hot weather, though. I'd say the sheepskin delayed the onset of the buttburn, but did not completely prevent it. Once my buttburn was SO bad, after dark I pulled my jeans off and rode in my skivvies, man that was heaven. Too bad nude riding is such a bad idea.

This is my experiance with both. On my first gen I raved about the sheepskin and still would if I were riding that bike.

On my sec gen I tried the sheepskin and it didnt offer the same comfort as with the first gen. I dont know why, maybe it was the seat design. Still got terrible tail bone ache.

I bought cheap car seat beads in Colorado last year. I love em. No more tail bone ache. They are definately cooler on the bottom.

Issues with the beads I have.

I've got to cut them down...too big for the seat

Makes funny indents in the seat that are not permanent.

Catches alot of dust and small things under the seat so the seat appears very dirty when you take the beads off.

They will scratch your tank if they rub against it too long.

Other than that...no issues. Never really felt the "400" little bumps on my ample back side!

Thanks for all the feed back guys. And Thank You to b2dad for the generous offer of trying them out. If I choose not to keep them, I will pass this offer on to someone else. It looks like the sheepskin in the favorite however.

There are many members here who use the beads and love them. I have sat on them on a bike once and could tell that I would be hurting in short order.

I have always used a sheepskin from Alaska leathers and highly recommend theirs. Main reason is they are top quality and virtually water proof. If they get wet all you have to do is shake it off real hard and they are pretty much dry. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Mine is 6 years old and looks as good as new.

I made my own beads for the seat and love them - won't ride without them summer OR winter. With stock pillow-top seat, 600 miles is about max I can tolerate in one day, but with the beads I have done several over 1,200 mile days with no significant discomfort on my back side. I do not slide around on them at all. For reference, I am 6'5" and currently weigh about 230 lbs.

I personally find nothing of value in the sheep skins. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Anybody try making sheep skin to fit. I have a bunch of odd sizes of sheep skin scraps with a few a good size pieces but I can't picture how to attach. If I could just sew I'd love to make new upholstery with sheep skin replacing the pillow padded area.

Jerry

AZSpyder,

Why you don't take the seat off, put the piece on top of it. Cut the skin following the seat more 2 or 3 inches by side (leave space enough to twist it around the tank), and then use velcros or ties with plastic hooks. Even more, if you can put a bronce hole cover like the one used on curtains, you can hook the cover with a bungy cord.

Regards,

I made my own beads for the seat and love them - won't ride without them summer OR winter. With stock pillow-top seat, 600 miles is about max I can tolerate in one day, but with the beads I have done several over 1,200 mile days with no significant discomfort on my back side. I do not slide around on them at all. For reference, I am 6'5" and currently weigh about 230 lbs.

I personally find nothing of value in the sheep skins. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Goose you were 250lbs when you came though NC but with the way you were sweating you must have lost 20lbs:rotf:

I sure like my sheep skin, I rode up to montana last year in hot weather .and every time we stoped to eat ,that danged ol' seat got hot. my frieend in montana took me to a place that sold sheep skins of all colors. I got one and it is very nice.my wife likes it a lot also,it's cool in the summer and worm in the winter. works for me...

jack:backinmyday:

Goose you were 250lbs when you came though NC but with the way you were sweating you must have lost 20lbs:rotf:

Man, you pegged that one right on - and the sweat never stopped on that trip! You shoulda seen me bending over all those danged hot engines syncing carbs all day Saturday - or changing tires. I couldn't drink fast enough to keep the water in me!

Goose

Bead Rider beads are what I've been using for a couple of years now and love them. I have a corbin seat and love it also. You pillowtop riders may not like the hardness. I can ride all day in comfort with no monkey butt:thumbsup2:. One day I'll try the sheepskin to see what its all about.