IGNORED

dogs on board ?

6m459

Here is a non tech poor man question.

Anyone have any experience with a dog on board?

I see there are carriers commercially available but MAN the prices! Must be all the lawyering thats needed to bring these to market!

Background, a lab puppy recently joined our family and she seems willing, but I'd like her to be safe, well as safe as you can be on a m/c.

Whats the best solution here?

Thanks,

Brian H.

Guest cwil2988

Sorry, couldn't help myself. only one I ever saw was the one in j&p, but is was for a small pet, don't know what to tell you

For anything larger than one of them Mexican rats (Cheewowaaa) I'd suggest getting the pooch a sidecar to ride in.....or ya could go with a pooch Trailer. I don't like the Trailer idea simply because you are exposing the pooch to exhaust gases from the bike.

The Trailer idea would be great for transporting the Mother-In-Law IMHO.....:whistling: :rotf:

Years ago, :backinmyday:, I saw a guy & gal riding a KZ1000 with homemade saddle bags. The left bag had a second, smaller, lid and the top of the bag and fuel tank had pieces of cheap carpet tacked to them. They had small dog that rode in the bag and occasionally on the bag or on the tank. Not exactly something I'd do, but it worked for them.

or ya could go with a pooch Trailer. I don't like the Trailer idea simply because you are exposing the pooch to exhaust gases from the bike.

I say " IXNAY " to the trailer for that exact reason. I once saw a guy who had his somewhat large dog in an open cage sitting on a trailer behind his bike. I asked him..."have you ever sat behind a vehicle when it is running and inhaled the exhaust? Would you? (NO) ... then why subject your best friend to that?" ... The guy just wasn't thinking and he admitted it.

We have this trailer made for pets

http://www.wagstrailers.com/pet_trailer.asp

it works very well and there are no exhaust gasses getting in. We just did a 1000 mile weekend and it performed flawlessly.

It was 90 and sunny and the trailer never got hot inside. I kept checking and it was comfortable even sitting in the sun. It isn't cheap but you get what you pay for.

Tom

We have a small black poodle/dauchound mix and a white med size poodle that both love to ride. The little one lays across the tank when I stop and sits on my left leg after we got to moving. The large one just rides on the back seat. No one much notices the little one, but I sure get some stares when the white one rides along.

I'm thinking of building a padded "box" to strap on the back seat to give the large one something more to keep him secure. Never have tried to carry either one while riding with the Warden.

I just happen to know that Labs Love to ride in Side Cars !!! Thats the way to go. Side Car !!!

And strap him down, to prevent Weight Transfer !!

Also, you will have to have Dark Tinted Window, or Cockpit cover , Cause if the

Animal Rights folks see you with a dog on your ride, your in trouble !!!

Thats because they dont know how much fun it is to ride with the wind in their face, never saw a dog that didnt like to hang his head out the window while riding in a car...........:cool10::cool10:

Cause if the

We have this trailer made for pets

http://www.wagstrailers.com/pet_trailer.asp

it works very well and there are no exhaust gasses getting in. We just did a 1000 mile weekend and it performed flawlessly.

It was 90 and sunny and the trailer never got hot inside. I kept checking and it was comfortable even sitting in the sun. It isn't cheap but you get what you pay for.

Tom

Why do dogs freak out when you blow in their face, but love to hang their head out of car windows and such?

:stirthepot:

The dogs knows you have BAD BREATH!!!!!????

That was the right answer right?:stirthepot:

Guest cwil2988
The dogs knows you have BAD BREATH!!!!!????

That was the right answer right?:stirthepot:

never thought of it that way, lmao:rotf:

I just happen to know that Labs Love to ride in Side Cars !!! Thats the way to go. Side Car !!!

And strap him down, to prevent Weight Transfer !!

Also, you will have to have Dark Tinted Window, or Cockpit cover , Cause if the

If the animal rights people give you any trouble just tell them you had to put the pooch in the side car because he couldn't keep up running along side with the leash tied to the footpeg.....

took the side cover of my saddle bag, put in a soft sided carrier and put a mini poodle in to the dog show,...... this is a show dog, and nothing phases it, just worried in the slow trafffic with all that heat coming off the pipes...... but she made it......................... no suggestions on the large dog......................i have seeen home made carriers, where the luggage rack sits, dog in harness, and tied in...... but the dog has to be willing.

hope you find a solution..................

• 2 weeks later...

I picked a 1 person sidecar project to connect up to my Virago for my siberian husky, but since picked up a 87 XVZ1300 with a 2 person sidecar already attached. Plenty of room for him to sit or lay down if he wants.

I bought a sidecar off a dealer on Long Island . the previuos owner had a white Lab and it rode in the sidecar. . I know because white lab hair was matted under the rubber mat. For a larger dog a sidecar is probably best. The dog and sidecar even made it to Americade a couple of times.

I see no real reason why any animal rights people would bother you. But the dog would need to be trained or a harness used so that he wouldn't jump out at stops.

For smaller dogs I saw a couple from Florida that had ridden up the east coast with two mininature poodles they rode in a padded box built over the back part of the seat on the wifes gold wing. The dogs had body harness' and a short cable leash in case they ever fell out of the box. The husband alway rode tail gunner to keep an eye on the pooches. They never had a problem with the dogs.:178: