IGNORED

Getting This Tool Kit Together

Getting ready to go on this trip... leaving in 10 days. Just trying to get the tools that I'll probably need, and the ones I hope I dont, but i MAY need.

I've got tire plugs, an air pump, my bead breaker/tire irons, phillips and flat head screw drivers.

The tool kit that came with the bike. A nice big channel locks. A few different sized vice grips, allen wrench sets (never too worried about allen sockets, If I need the length I'll just use a vice grip to turn the short side of the allen wrench)

a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with 6mm through 15mm sockets

I'll also bring a 3/8 drive ratchet with 12-maybe 21 imm sockets. I'll probably bring a small hammer too. Also have electrical tape and duct tape. I've also got the socket wrenches that came with the tool kit and I really think I've got about everything I need.

I'm starting to get excited if you cant tell!

Getting ready to go on this trip... leaving in 10 days. Just trying to get the tools that I'll probably need, and the ones I hope I dont, but i MAY need.

I've got tire plugs, an air pump, my bead breaker/tire irons, phillips and flat head screw drivers.

The tool kit that came with the bike. A nice big channel locks. A few different sized vice grips, allen wrench sets (never too worried about allen sockets, If I need the length I'll just use a vice grip to turn the short side of the allen wrench)

a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with 6mm through 15mm sockets

I'll also bring a 3/8 drive ratchet with 12-maybe 21 imm sockets. I'll probably bring a small hammer too. Also have electrical tape and duct tape. I've also got the socket wrenches that came with the tool kit and I really think I've got about everything I need.

I'm starting to get excited if you cant tell!

Just a silly question for you. Your taking the Venture right?

:rotf:

That i am! So i probably shouldn't need anything right?!:2132:

Exactly!! lol um my bag in Tinker has, the yamaha tools 18, 20, 21 mm wrecn then the two ended "8 and 10" and another "10 and 12" then the thin wall spark plug wrench. I have autozone special screw driver with 2 bits you flip it around for smaller straight and phillips, Um needle nose pliers, regular pliers. something I added was a multimeter for trips. O and a test light, and a flashlight.

Gonna be the LONGEST 10 days of your life Cha,,, pace pace pace,,, is it time yet,, pace pace pace,,, ahhhh the life of a true lop eared CTFW varmint,, pace pace pace... STOP STARING AT THE CLOCK,, tick tock tick tock,, pace pace pace :big-grin-emoticon:

Sounds like sooooooo much fun brother,, wish I was able to join ya!!:thumbsup:

IMHO, I would include in my maintenance department as well as the stuff already mentioned:

1. A package of BLACK (they are stronger) 11" zip ties from HF.

2. A hand impact driver with adapter for the 1/4 drive sockets.

3. A small pack of hex drive bits and screw drive handle to fit em.

4. Wire strippers.

5. Torch/flashlight kit like this = PERFECT for staring campfires, lighting cigars, soldering AND it is an AWESOME LED flashlight all in one: https://www.menards.com/main/tools/torches-soldering-tools/turbo-blue-self-igniting-butane-torch/22225/p-1538548473678-c-8533.htm?tid=-1824177539966927428&&ipos=97

6. Piece of 2x4 cut to size of center stand to rock bike up on so the rear tire can easily be rolled off.

7. Use cheap (6 bucks for 4) ratchet straps to as tie downs for tent/sleeping gear instead of bungies = much more secure AND can be used for LOTS of stuff like balancing tires or even tow straps ect ect..

8. 3' section of clear fuel line to use for lots of stuff,, including removing vent hose from fuel tank and pressurising tank with mouth to force fuel into carbs if the fuel pump goes south - sounds dorky but will save your butt out in the desert!!

Pack it all and may Murph take a short leap off a tall cliff and HIDE when he hears your tools jingling brother!!

P.S. = when you windshield gets buggy resist the urge to scrub to remove them,, wet it down with windshield cleaner at gas station or even just water - rub circles with your wet finger tips to loosen the bugs, keep rubbing till ya cant feel their bodies stuck to the plexi any longer, dont use paper - pull out a cheap micro fiber and wipe it off.. These will keep the shield from keeping those tiny little scratches in it.. Works AWESOME on helmet shields too!!

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, wish I could join ya,, YOU are gonna have a BLAST!! Cant WAIT to see the :photographing:'s, vids and hear the stories!!

RIDE SAFE out there Cha!!

Good call on the zipties and the wire strippers! I'll bring along a 1/4-3/8 drive adapter as well! I've got a hand impact driver, but no adapter for it. I wonder if I can find just the adapter pieces at harbor freight or something. I think impact drivers are around the $40 dollar range. Good call on the clear fuel line. I certainly remember a certain "member" saying they had to pressureize the fuel tank via mouth power to get the bike home! :stickpoke:

I've always wanted to get a set of those speed wrenches. Now might be the time to do so! And I've got a pretty zazzy little torch I bought from the local Casey's, no LED light on it but I'm picking up a rechargeable headlamp tomorrow! Hands free lighting!!! The ratchet straps will be good for securing the things to the bike, and if I have to remove a rear tire then they'll be great for holding my center stand frontways and not letting the bike drop. I learned the lesson of bringing towels and not using paper a LONG time ago... the hard way lol

Actually I'd like to buff my windshield before I go. Anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking just getting a buffing wheel for my dewaldt drill and some aluminum buffing compound and going to town

As far as walking around pacing back and forth while checking things over and over on the bike, I guess I'll just have to keep packing and adding stuff in! I know I'll forget something!

Well Cha I wrote a whole list for ya and den got so frustrated over an upload I start X'en off pages and pooof it was all gone!

This is in the important category ;)

And enjoy these :)

Hey either way I appreciate the effort! I get a little click happy too and more often than not I end up not posting "til next time" and then there isn't a next time because i plum forget!

How small does that little stove pack down? I've never really considered cooking at the camp site?

And as far as that beach side photo goes.... Well theres a well worn spot on the garage floor where the pacing has been non stop, and now I think its gotten a little more worn because of you brother!

Its small Cha, sits in my right saddle on the hump, always;) They put out quite a bit of heat, the jel fuel tin last a long time. Boils water quick for coffee

I being a morning porridge guy...

It will shake the frosty mornings out of a tent depending on the type of tent you use, mine are netted top I crack the zip about 4-6" cook breakfast and get dressed in the warmth. Tent's that are more sealed will condense moisture on the sides, so let them dry while prepping your bike.

One caution here Cha, never pick the can up with a flame on, the can is hot on top and the jel liquefies under heat; what you do is snuff the flame with the lid is all then after a minute or 2 you screw it down and its jel again.

I've had mine for many years, made for a backpack the can is the mass so small.

I have polished wind screens and the best and safest way in my opinion; cut it down below your line of site! Absolutely the best mod for it! Tend to your visor and carry anti fog with rain repellent in a small spray bottle from a dollar store!

Remember Cha: if you pull in to a station and run thru someones mess then wipe the tires before getting back out there; I use wd40 on a rag I'll keep in the rear pocket sac.

When walking to your bike, always stair her down, you want to have a mirror image in your mind of what she should sit like. See a drip? Make sure its not yours, tires nice and round? Disks not showing spots, jugs look clean, forks are up, quick check for bug splatter...

Note your mileage at the pumps don't need to be precise; here its LT per 100 klm 1/2 a LT per 100 difference means somethin is up, so fallow the clue or keep an eye on it!

If you haven't already change the air box seal, that thing causes more grief with carb slides, valve seat deposits and lost riding time then a nagging wife! For the pennies it worth keep it in good shape.

WD40 for quick wipe downs on almost everything is hard to beat, That cloth goes in the other rear pocket, always keep those rear pockets partially zipped!

WetOnes a must for seat, helmet inside and out, removing grease off your hands,,,

Dry snacks in the trunk, bars, jerky, nuts and sweets, extra water... My opinion never run out of water.

You get down this way let loose a holler

Patch

For many many thousands and thousands of clear windshield wonderful miles I have used this on my windshield: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-G12310-PlastX-Clear-Plastic-Cleaner-Polish-10-oz/16550253

Even though the windshield on Tweeksis lost it's factory protectant veneer (her shield has been on 3 of my 6 1st Gens = it's a keep sake covered in earned stickers and I refuse to give it up :missingtooth:) I have been able to keep it crystal clear by using Plastx. I carry a bottle of it onboard along with a couple microfibres to apply the stuff. Simply clean the shield first with a gas stations windshield water/cleaner by soaking the shield and then rubbing it with my fingers until the bugs are all loosened up, then wiping it clean with a micro (NEVER paper of any kind = scratch city!!), then a squirt of Plastx across the shield, fold up a micro and buff in circles while the Plastx remains fluid, buff off and BINGO = no spider webs or scratches. I also used the stuff A LOT in business for taking old quad/three wheeler plastic back to a gorgeous, OEM almost brand new looking shine!

Cha, I also have done the fairly common no no of using Rain-X on my windshield for years. You gotta use the spray on RainX though and not the little wipeys if your try it. On my shield that is missing the veneer the RainX wipes would scratch my freshly Plastx finish but the spray on stuff, applied right after the PlastX with a micro fibre worked awesome.. I carried a small spray bottle of the stuff so I wasnt lugging a big Rainx bottle onboard.. Something to try = if you dont like it or it causes ya issues, a follow up Plastx application will remove the RainX pronto..

I too would go back to the short windshield routine - I have a cut down somewhere that I sized perfectly for my ride height.. Problem with that in my case was/is I very seldom rode 1 up when out CTFW and Tip/the kids always needed the xtra shield height. If I were doing the one up thing, I would do exactly that!! Simply take er out and up to speed, get into your favorite long distance ride position, put your hand up above your head so you can feel the slip stream of air, cut the shield down until the slip stream is just above the top of your head = you will now be looking over the top of the shield and have ample shield height to hide behind when the rain/hail/snow/road debris from semi's starts pelting your mug :missingtooth:

Yes sir Puc both are very good products when applied like you mention.

A GF of mine who had been in a rear end collision some years back and suffered severe whiplash really enjoyed my MKII ride but, she couldn't handle the wind buffering for long at all; shame really cause she enjoyed the same adventuring as I! Well I thought about changing the windscreen, or maybe a headrest like some of the old Cades had... I sure liked the way she rode the back, long legged woman, man oh man could she bring life to a campfire..

Yep I remember her fondly ;) certainly worth the head rest idea! What's that song... When We Were Young and not so long ago..

The first ride on my MKII was a rough one, I was way north and leaving late very tired and wanting to ride fast and hard. As it turned out and many of us old timers know, start a ride that way and accent on the hard becomes the game... Well cold rain dark skies endless miles no rest areas, stations or motels, the lights from passing cars trucks, the water they kicked over, I couldn't see thru the bloody thing and made my mind up to cut it down first chance! If on that night I had come across a patrol car I would have flashed him down, thrown my hands up and said, arrest me officer, I must still be wanted somewhere?!

I did cut it and just kept doing that till I hit that sweet spot that not only could I see freely over it but that the wind effect was so minimal the bike simply performed better out here in our prairie winds!

Well that's my tale of my windscreen, and a sweet memory named Sonya ;)

Patch

Let's see. CJ, I'm an overpacker. I always pack for what I might need and what I will need. Did that on my trip to Cowpucland and didn't regret carrying all that stuff. Murphy's law and all that.

One thing I did use...was a cat litter bag. Yep....

20180517_083948.jpg

It works very well for....

20180517_083853.jpg

And to cover the tour pack bag.

I also carried some small sandwich baggies to cover my GPS, XM radio and the remote controls for the audio system. That and some rubber bands to hold them hept my stuff dry while riding through the Kansas and Oklahoma storms....

If you want to read what I packed...go here ...maybe something will pop up that you feel you might need.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?136630-VideoArizona-did-you-make-it-home-yet-You-ok-out-there&highlight=videoarizona

david

Well Gentlemen, I think I've got my tools together. Thank you for the help, and sorry for the short Hiatus. Ended up helping a buddy synch his carbs on his shadow (waste of time, need the right fittings) monday, and yesterday I got caught up in a 3 hour job putting up a swing set for my buddy's kids! I've got the new brake pads on now, Gonna bleed the brakes and change the oil and the bike should be good to go!

I'm not gonna cut my windscreen down until I get a spare. I end up with someone on the back probably 40% of the time. Some girlfriends, and some just girls that wanna be girlfriends :shock3: so I'd like to be able to swap them out. As far as that PlastX goes, I'll be picking some of that up for the ride and I've got about 10 microfiber towels I'll be bringing along.

@videoarizona that's a good idea to use those kitty litter bags. Wayyy tougher than plastic sacks! I think I'll pick some of those up as well and I need some sandwich bags for some other stuff as well so good call on that. After I get these fluids changed I'll load all the clothes in and I'll be set.

Having a hard time sleeping now, I am getting the Jitters... BAD :bang head::banana:

Well Gentlemen, I think I've got my tools together. Thank you for the help, and sorry for the short Hiatus. Ended up helping a buddy synch his carbs on his shadow (waste of time, need the right fittings) monday, and yesterday I got caught up in a 3 hour job putting up a swing set for my buddy's kids! I've got the new brake pads on now, Gonna bleed the brakes and change the oil and the bike should be good to go!

I'm not gonna cut my windscreen down until I get a spare. I end up with someone on the back probably 40% of the time. Some girlfriends, and some just girls that wanna be girlfriends :shock3: so I'd like to be able to swap them out. As far as that PlastX goes, I'll be picking some of that up for the ride and I've got about 10 microfiber towels I'll be bringing along.

videoarizona that's a good idea to use those kitty litter bags. Wayyy tougher than plastic sacks! I think I'll pick some of those up as well and I need some sandwich bags for some other stuff as well so good call on that. After I get these fluids changed I'll load all the clothes in and I'll be set.

Having a hard time sleeping now, I am getting the Jitters... BAD :bang head::banana:

Pace pace pace,,, couldn't sleep,, couldnt eat,,,, just pace pace pace... Way it worked around here was always - "This is rediculous Tip,, we may as well hit the end of the drive way and toss the coin for a heading cause I can't handle the pacing no more :big-grin-emoticon:).. Of course, retirement and having grown and gone kids has it's advantages in that department :missingtooth:.. GO FOR IT CHA!! CLEAR SKIES, WIND AT YOUR BACK AND HAPPY CTFW BROTHER:thumbsup:

Some girlfriends, and some just girls that wanna be girlfriends :shock3: so

WOW, a whole page torn from Marcarl's diary!

Better pack protection ;)

• 2 weeks later...

videoarizona that's a good idea to use those kitty litter bags. Wayyy tougher than plastic sacks! I think I'll pick some of those up as well and I need some sandwich bags for some other stuff as well so good call on that. After I get these fluids changed I'll load all the clothes in and I'll be set.

Not sure if you've gotten on the road yet, or maybe you can add this to your toolbox for next time. They have the headlamps you can get now as know that have the red and white light. What you know may not be aware of is they now have them with USB rechargeability.

Something to check out.