IGNORED

Attempted my first tire replacement

BlueSky

So, my Kawasaki ZN700 needs a new rear tire to pass inspection. I finally got around to attempting it, my first time at changing a tire. A couple of years ago I had some leftover particle board 4' x 8' sheets that I split into half the long way and nailed 3 halves together, about 2 1/4" thick. Then I cut them into 3 pieces with the end piece beveled so I can push the bike up on it. That way I can put it on the center stand on the middle piece and pull the rear sheet out, rock it on the rear wheel and pull the front piece out. That allowed about 6" of clearance under the rear tire, plenty of room to get the rear wheel off. But, using C-clamps to break the bead is a pain. I got the bead broke on one side but not the other. So, I went to Harbor Freight to buy their bead breaker and they were sold out after telling me that had one over the phone..... So, as of today, I failed...... After this I have to change the tires on the RSV. I wanted to tackle the small one first. Maybe if I bought some larger C-clamps, I could put a board against the wheel and break the bead on the other side? The plot thickens!

YOU DA MAN SKY!! :clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup2:

I have been swappin my own bike tires on both tubed and tubeless shoes since I was a kid and gotta say, if I had to do it all over again, of the three methods shown in the vids below, I would have purchased the Bead Buster that @VanRiver sent me (I think cause he loves me and felt sorry for me) shown in Vid 3 right from the start (if they would have been available back in the 60's and I coulda afforded one.. Just an opinion of course but one formed around many scraped knuckles and sore backs :rotfl:) as a Christmas present (THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH AGAIN BROTHER!! IT IS AWESOME!! It works on EVERY type of tubeless tire IMAGINABLE!! From trucks to quads = PERFECT!!)..

and if your gonna attempt your own balancing,, here is another shot of something I have done successfully for years.. IMHO, its a great skill to have cause this can be done anywhere that you have a place to hang a tire from... All ya need is a tree branch and BINGO,, instant balance stand :guitarist 2:

Also,,, its a REALLY good idea (again, IMHO) to clean the wheel real well when apart but also check the base of the valve stem closely at the rubber seal it sets on.. Worth the xtra effort to not have to do it all over again once ya got er together :no-no-no:

I use a 2x6 about 5ft long or so, a smaller section maybe 4" long and the bumper or hitch of the truck. A couple pieces of 2x4 to keep brake disc from being on ground. Whell positioned so you can use the 2x6 on edge against small chunk of board on beam and pry down.

Sorry Blue Sky I didn't tell you I had a tire changer for MC. My bad. It works so easy I wished I came up with the engineering. Been changing my own tires since 2000. :cool10: :happy65:

:farmer:

I didn't think to ask you about your tire changing tools. What brand is your changer? The local Harbor Freight has an inexpensive tire changer in stock.

When I was a young pup in the 60's, I changed my own car tires at the local gas station with their manual tire changer. Those recapped bias ply tires didn't last long especially on the rear of my hot rod Chevys! I could get a tire recapped for $8 and it would last about 5k miles on the rear!

I have the Harbor Freight manual tire change machine with the motorcycle adapter. I would not say it makes the work effortless, but it certainly makes it easier by an order of magnitude.

Be advised, the mount/dismount tool is OK for steel auto wheels but it will destroy your motorcycle wheels. I bought a "duck head" tool head on ebay and attached it to the OE tool bar with carriage bolts and 3/4" plywood. I works well and was cheap. You will also want to bend the rim clamps in so they wrap around the rim better and add either a strap or a pin to stop the wheel from rotating in the clamps.

I went hole hog when I got my tire changer. I got a No-Mar tire changer. Everything is Delron tipped and will not mark the wheels.

Thanks for the reply. I just googled No-Mar tire changer and yes you did go whole hog!

I got the new tire on the rim. It didn't want to pump up so I put a ratchet strap around the tire and then it pumped up but didn't seat. So, I released the strap and the tire popped and seated. I think I will see how much it will cost for a shop to install the new tires on the RSV wheels if I bring the wheels and new tires to them. Tire changing on the floor isn't as much fun as I thought it would be for a 75 yr old. It looks really easy in the youtube videos! Ha!

As Cowpuc show in his video, the Harbor Freight bead breaker works great but.....that's on First Gen bikes. RSV's have wider tires and the rear may be too wide to fit.

I've balanced my tires for a lot of years basically the way Cowpuc does, except I use my car/truck jack stands to support the axle and then I don't have the swaying of the straps. Before I replaced the wheel bearings in my front wheel this worked fine. When I replaced the bearings, I used sealed bearings, and the seals caused enough stiction (actually it may really be friction) that this method didn't work any more and I had enough imbalance to cause vibration above 70 MPH.. I purchased the Harbor Freight wheel balance fixture and now I can get the front tire balanced well.

I balanced the tire by inserting a section of pvc pipe that just happened to be the perfect size into the wheel and resting the ends on two buckets turned upside down. I used two vise grip pliers to keep the pipe from turning and the balancing was easy. I used the same clip on weights that were on the rim before except I only needed 2 of the 3 weights previously used. Then I rode it down to the inspection shop and had it inspected.

Now I gotta do the RSV. I think the bead breaker that HF sells now will work on the RSV tires. It's not the same design as Cowpucs.

Glad I have someone about ten minutes away that changes bike tires, all mounted and balanced at $20.00 each. Bring them the wheels and new tires and they do it while you wait if you want. Takes about 20 minutes or you can drop them off and go back to pick them up.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-beadpro-forged-steel-tire-bead-breaker?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-dCriITJ4gIVAb7ACh2xWgfXEAQYBCABEgII4vD_BwE

These beadbreakers/tire irons worked really well for me, and they're light and small enough to bring anywhere.

I learned how to balance tires from @cowpuc s videos after attempting dynabeads with poor results. Now that i balanced my tires myself i have no road vibration at all