IGNORED

Little help on Rain Gear Please

1sttenor

Hey All,

I've decided it's finally time to replace my 20 year old rain suit. My wife and I are finally in a position where we can do a cross-country this year and I need to get new rain suits. Anyone got a rain suit that they're really pleased with. I don't want to spend $200-300 and not like it after the first gully-washer. Thanks

Can't wait for spring!

Frog Toggs are pretty good. However, my wife gave me a HD rain suit that collapses into a small bag. The bag is about this size of a flat volleyball. Packs very nicely.

More importantly, the rain suit is comfortable, fits well - even over cold weather gear, keeps out the rain wonderfully, but is cool enought to ride in when it is hot out. The legs open up enough to fit over my boots (I wear size 15). I am very pleased with the suit.

I expect it costs a hundred dollars (that's what HD stands for, isn't it?). I like it much better than the Frog Toggs. The crotch of the FTs hang down too far. I split them once when swinging my leg over the bike. Other than that, they are OK. Priced nicely and packs well. Fit both top and pants in a shoe bag. My wife still uses the FTs and is OK with them. They are extremely nice in the summer as they breath well.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I use a POWER TRIP jacket. It's the mesh type jacket with the armor in the shoulders,elbows,and spine. Can't think of the name right now. But it has the zip in rain liner and I use Firstgear rain pants. I been very pleased. I can stay dry even in a driving rain. The jacket was about $150. and the pants were $17.95.

I think you will be happy with the Frog Togs. I have used mine several times and other than a little water around the neck they kept me dry and very comfortable in the hot North Carolina summers. The only reason water got in around the neck is that I can't stand anything tight around my neck so I wear them open at the top.

Wayne

In lite rain my Tour Master Pivot Jacket and Venture pants does a job. For Heavy rain my vote go to Froggs Toggs tested last year on the way back from Minesota Pork in the Pines. 8 ++ Hours riding in hammering rain, and that gismo keep me dry all the way to Chicago.

Only downside is pants. you have to take off boots to put a pants on, no biggie, as long they keep me dry.

Only downside is pants. you have to take off boots to put a pants on, no biggie, as long they keep me dry.

oh REALLY!?! THAT'S nice to know.

Darn, what a downer in advance of wanting to purchase a set.

Check this site out.....Rain Suite Comparison...Triumph suite was second only to the Nelson-Rigg outfit... I have the Two Piece Triumph Suite $100 and spent last fall riding for two days in NC mountain rain....DID NOT GET WET....I was riding my Triumph Bonneville America...packs small....

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/rainsuit_comparison/

Wife has the two piece Sterns from Sams Club and She stayed dry also...$40 bucks....

Also you may want to check this site out for other comparisons of Cycle Stuff...

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/accessory_gear_review_finder/

George In Virginia

• 8 months later...
Guest Boomerbiker

Well, cost is certainly a factor, but I'll give a little different slant to the good advice you have received. I wear an Aerostich riding suit, second one in fact after the first one was pretty much demolished in a crash last November. Thank goodness for the pads in the elbows, shoulders and knees which helped me survive injury free in the accident.

The Aerostich is Gore-Tex, breathes and is waterproof. When rain is on the horizon, I simply zip the vents and keep on riding, no extra gear to put on.

As I indicated though, it is expensive with the one piece suit selling for more than $700.

Nelson Rigg AX1 about 50 bucks, Crusing Rider picked out of several even ones as much as 300 smackers. I love mine easy to put on and you stay DRY.

Gary:cool10: :cool10:

I'll second that. I wear my Nelson-Rigg suit over my Fieldsheer mesh armor jacket. Even though the rain suit has mesh lining, so it doesn't stick to your skin, I still wear the armor underneath it which further helps wick away sweat when it's hot outside.