IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

What do you mean turn knob? they are just a square you turn with a wrench. Also did your rebuild kit not come with the new master cylinder Piston?

Turn with a wrench?! Never heard of such a thing. Heck, if I had known that, I would have just drilled a larger hole and plugged with a wine cork. Elaborate setup galore, with fuel hose nestled nicely in middle of cork. There has to be a handle that fits over square.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My '84 has a reserve setting, but like BlueSky said, I need pliers to turn the little knob. I just leave it on reserve all the time. That way, any moisture that might collect in the tank bottom is drained away into the gas line filter.

My new petcock came in but I guess they don't come with a little turn knob!! Will have to try to track one down.

26H petcock 1b.jpg1983 had no reserve and a tool (screwdriver or wrench) was required to turn the petcock on or off.

41R petcock.JPGStarting with the 1984, a reserve and a hand turnable knob was incorporated.

3JJ fuel petcock.jpgThe 1990 and newer petcock was changed to have the fuel outlet on the left side of the valve. (I have no idea why the change).

All three petcocks will bolt onto any year fuel tank, though fuel hose and routing may need to be changed. Also, if a 1984 or later petcock is used on a 1983, the right side cover will require a notch to clear the knob.

Assuming we're talking about the '83, there is really no need for a handle on the fuel petcock as there is no reserve setting and the fuel cannot gravity feed if a float sicks anyway. Do the MK2s have a reserve position?

I thought the 83 royale had a reserve.

DO IT!! LMFAO that was quite funny there Sir, You know I didn't try and I may still have the Vstar petcock laying around. If I do I will see if it will work on these tanks!

I thought the 83 royale had a reserve.

Nope they thought it would be a good idea to put the petcock with no reserve, and a hastle to change your fuel filters!! On the bright side at least we don't gotta do a complete tear down to change the air filter!!

DO IT!! LMFAO that was quite funny there Sir, You know I didn't try and I may still have the Vstar petcock laying around. If I do I will see if it will work on these tanks!

Nope they thought it would be a good idea to put the petcock with no reserve, and a hastle to change your fuel filters!! On the bright side at least we don't gotta do a complete tear down to change the air filter!!

Glad you liked the joke. I see now how this one is designed. Low profile and you're correct, just a wrench will work. I looked a little closer and see some small metal reinforcement so one can use a small screwdriver to turn. I will just leave it open per suggestions here.

Glad you liked the joke. I see now how this one is designed. Low profile and you're correct, just a wrench will work. I looked a little closer and see some small metal reinforcement so one can use a small screwdriver to turn. I will just leave it open per suggestions here.

Only time I attempt to shut it off is when I pull tank to replace the fuel Filter!!!

So I'm restoring this classic motorcycle and have purchased many parts to bring her back to life. She has tires from 2009 but look brand new. Tread still has little nubbies. No dry rot present. Still get rid of them? I know, you want to respond by saying I'm restoring the bike anyway, therefore might as well invest in new tires. What would be wrong with the old ones?

I'm sure the majority will say replace them, but I'd probably run them unless I was going to run it for hours at 100mph across the southwest desert like Cowpuc!

I just replaced the worn out rear tire on my Kawasaki that was 15 years old. It was 5 yrs old when I bought it from The Motorcycle Superstore. The front I'm running some more because it isn't worn out yet and it is 11 yrs old. The front tire on my RSV recently acquired is 12 years old, 23k miles on it with some tread left, and I am replacing it with new along with the punctured 5 yr old rear tire. Don't do what I do! Ha!

My metzler 888 were quite old but very good tread and no dry rot I ran with them for a couple thousand miles! Do they still have the Little tips on them? I also have a tire from 185 on tinker don't know if its from 1985 or 1995 tire seems fine rides good at 60 MPH but I won't ride the tail of the dragon with it! LOL

Well....the idea of tooling around at any speed on 2 tires that may have internal dry rot and blow out at any time and any speed....you get the message. 4 tires, no problem....2 tires...deadly chance being taken.

nope.

Nada.

Nein.

Nej.

Non.

Tidak.

In other words...hell no!

Grins...

david

I'm with Vaz. Had a truck tire delaminate once, plenty of tread but 12 yrs old. 80 mph with a loaded gooseneck one dual let loose, that was enough for me. I will admit it showed dry rot and cracking but since then nothing over 7 yrs old on my autos. 5 yrs on a bike. I also admit I'm extremely anal about tires, we never wear them to the wear bars before replacing. I've zipped too many bags over people from neglected maintenance, my kids laugh at me checking their tires shocks, tie rods, etc.

So i'm trying to install new oil filter and a few pieces fell out of oil filter assembly, i'm assuming its the bypass? small pin, spring and metal ball. How do these parts go back in?first ball, then spring , then pin to hold spring? or should i just do a spin on mod?

Update! Currently rebuilding forks. I really wanted to get this bike ready to ride this summer but , not going to happen. I have another vacation scheduled in a week and have been watching hrs and hrs of Wimbledon too. Not to worry, take my time and enjoy the experience.

more pics on the way.

Definitely go with an AGM. I've had great results from AutoZone's AGM power sport batteries. One of the PO's must have done the bypass on The Beast as I have always had and AGM with no probe and do not get the warning indicator for the battery. I hear it's not a difficult procedure.

Packing for my last vacation before i go back to work next month. Upon my return the lower fork bushings should be in. For some reason they are back ordered. Also been considering putting in progressive springs, so if anyone has a fresh pair lying around and want to sell, let me know.

Chow for now.