IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

Here ya go!

I drilled the holes with the plastic bushings installed so that the grease would get right onto them!

Dscn9674.jpg

Dscn9675.jpg

If you look at the stock piece, it almost looks like they thought about putting grease fittings there but then changed their minds...

Dscn9678.jpg

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go!

I drilled the holes with the plastic bushings installed so that the grease would get right onto them!

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115906

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115907

If you look at the stock piece, it almost looks like they thought about putting grease fittings there but then changed their minds...

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115908

Nice work. Like the fancy gold paint too!!

Flipped bike. Here are pics of cracks in frame. Guys, this frame is toast!! Evidence of welding. This thing is cracked badly all over the place.

I'm thinking have the other frame reinforced big time. This one is all out of whack!!

thoughts?

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

To me, there is no doubt that this frame has been welded on before. It is a shame that when they did this that the gusset rods were not put in as I did in mine. This is where the real strength is as it is where the triangulation stops any flexing.

As far as your "new" frame, as I suggested before, have some rods welded in and I would still contact the guy you got it from and have him pay for what it costs you to have it done. Tell him that if does not agree with that then you will contact ebay and send the whole thing back to him. There is no reason that this should cost you anymore than you have already paid out and you will end up with a good strong frame. And, on a positive note, you can now feel okay that all is not lost in getting the other frame. In fact, if it had been me and I had received a pristine 83 frame, I would still have added the gusset rods. You are going to be okay and this elephant will get eaten one of the days. And if you fix 2nd gear, you can then go eat a lot of Harleys.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

Hi Made2Care

Looks bad, anything Metal is fixable but with the amount of work required to fix this would be best spent reinforcing a good frame.

IMHO I think you should go through the EBAY return route and get re-imbursed for the bad frame you recd and then use that refund to cover shipping of Cowpuc's early offer of a frame at least you know you are starting with a good foundation.

HermanK84VR

As you can see from your frame, a poor repair will still fail. Your new frame is possibly a poor repair based on the look of the welds. It is even harder to make a bad repair good than it is to start from scratch with a fresh never broken frame.

I agree with the above that you should first contact the seller of the frame to see what he is willing to do about it. And then contact ebay, and what ever funding source that you used to pay for it. Ebay and PayPal are both very good about siding with the buyer. Credit cards are also pretty good about protecting you. BUT there are time limits where you will loose your ability to do anything. So don't think about this too long.

Find another never broken frame to start from, like one of the frames that @cowpuc offered.

Hi Made2Care

Looks bad, anything Metal is fixable but with the amount of work required to fix this would be best spent reinforcing a good frame.

IMHO I think you should go through the EBAY return route and get re-imbursed for the bad frame you recd and then use that refund to cover shipping of Cowpuc's early offer of a frame at least you know you are starting with a good foundation.

HermanK84VR

As you can see from your frame, a poor repair will still fail. Your new frame is possibly a poor repair based on the look of the welds. It is even harder to make a bad repair good than it is to start from scratch with a fresh never broken frame.

I agree with the above that you should first contact the seller of the frame to see what he is willing to do about it. And then contact ebay, and what ever funding source that you used to pay for it. Ebay and PayPal are both very good about siding with the buyer. Credit cards are also pretty good about protecting you. BUT there are time limits where you will loose your ability to do anything. So don't think about this too long.

Find another never broken frame to start from, like one of the frames that cowpuc offered.

Like desperado's waiting for a train,, those parts bikes are just sitting there wondering which one is going to get to go back out CTFW again Maddy!!! :thumbsup: :big-grin-emoticon:

I can get my $40 back for frame but not the $100 the swindler charged for shipping. I've decided to get the ebay frame checked and reinforced. I have a friend that will do it for free.

While I have the bike flipped, can I pressure wash the engine to clean it??

Sure, why not, EXCEPT watch out for wiring connectors and electronic modules, you could kill them doing that...

Especially the TCI. The TCI has drain holes in the bottom that are now facing up and you could very easily fill it with water and destroy it.

Good point and it looks like his TCI has already been moved to the top of his airbox, which is off, since his carbs are off.

Randy

I will clean it carefully by hand. I'm hoping to flip back over and continue strip down this weekend. Ebay frame at Welder's now .

I will clean it carefully by hand. I'm hoping to flip back over and continue strip down this weekend. Ebay frame at Welder's now .

Did you show him pictures of the gusset rods I put in? He will need to know where to put the rods that they will not get in the way of the exhaust. It may have been better to put the rods in after the engine is in place so you can put the collector on first.

Randy

Did you show him pictures of the gusset rods I put in? He will need to know where to put the rods that they will not get in the way of the exhaust. It may have been better to put the rods in after the engine is in place so you can put the collector on first.

Randy

He's just fixing welds and waiting on reinforcing. Yes, has your pics.

Well, I'm making progress. Engine is free. Will cover any holes needed with plastic then power wash time. What is this big black plastic box that has hoses going to engine ?

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

That is the YICS chamber. Yamaha Induction Control System

An inovative piece of Nippon engineering that looks great on paper and may even give some modicum of real wold advantage, but actually doesn't do much. A lot of us have just removed them and capped off the YICS ports on the heads.

In the XJ series engines the YICS chamber was milled into the head and you needed a special tool to block it off for synchronizing the carbs. I just left mine blocked on a couple XJs and never saw any performance or efficiency difference. My Gen1 MK1 Ventue's YICS chamber was leaking badly when I got so I just removed it.

Well on the original question, second gear went out on my 85 at around 60k miles. When I sold it, it had 147k on it. The guy I sold it to put on another 20k when he lost control and crashed it. I just skipped second gear when I rode it.

If your interested in a 83 parts bike for free you just have to come get it. Send me a PM. I live a little SW of Houston. I've robbed several things including some valve shims and the engine is out of the bike but most of it is still there. She was a burgundy /red bike.

I'm still supporting and driving my 87.