IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

If your interested in a 83 parts bike for free you just have to come get it. Send me a PM. I live a little SW of Houston. I've robbed several things including some valve shims and the engine is out of the bike but most of it is still there. She was a burgundy /red bike.

I'm still supporting and driving my 87.

Thank u for the offer. If it were a late 85 I would already be down there getting it!

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. Consider fixing that 2nd gear while you have the engine out. Splitting the cases and exposing the innards is not as challenging as you might think, and lots of support on this forum. You can still get new parts to fix it, and lots of used transmissions for sale on eBay at reasonable prices.

Instead of taking my frame to be sandblasted and powder coated I simply used my wire wheel on drill and then wiped down with prep wipe. Decided to use VHT high heat paint designed for chassis. Covered was good and it also has a built in primer with anti rust. I will hit it with a couple more coats and then attention turns to engine!

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

OK, my friend was able to find a set of the six solid motor mounts that he had set aside to go on the 83 Venture that my grandson had bought from him. If you will PM me your address, I will get them from my friend Steve, who used to be SGN on here, and I will mail them to you. This is part of the pay-it forward like bongobob sent me a fuel pump many years ago. Again, thanks Bob.

Many of us prefer the solid mounts because they stiffen up the frame some, and this is especially true for my 83 as with running the bikini side covers I don't use the long bars that go along the side of the engine. I could really tell the difference on my bike with the solid mounts. I attached a pic with bikini side panels.

Randy

699.JPG

Edited by Venturous Randy

OK, my friend was able to find a set of the six solid motor mounts that he had set aside to go on the 83 Venture that my grandson had bought from him. If you will PM me your address, I will get them from my friend Steve, who used to be SGN on here, and I will mail them to you. This is part of the pay-it forward like bongobob sent me a fuel pump many years ago. Again, thanks Bob.

Many of us prefer the solid mounts because they stiffen up the frame some, and this is especially true for my 83 as with running the bikini side covers I don't use the long bars that go along the side of the engine. I could really tell the difference on my bike with the solid mounts. I attached a pic with bikini side panels.

Randy

Pretty neat! Thanks again for helping me.

Okay, so the 2nd gear issue. Is the DVD still available to guide me through step by step?

I believe so. PM Damon_Ferraiuolo@msn.com and inquire. A XVZ1200 service manual would be a really good idea too.

Here are a couple of reference links that will help:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=001006&id=250

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?120493-Second-gear-repair-redux&highlight=redux

Edited by gaj1917
... additional info.

Forgive my gullibility but Damon did respond to my question of whether or not his video covers the 2nd gear fix. Here is his response "No,The video only covers the installation of the transmission sub assemblies to the lower case, not each gear being installed onto each shaft.

Forgive my gullibility but Damon did respond to my question of whether or not his video covers the 2nd gear fix. Here is his response "No,The video only covers the installation of the transmission sub assemblies to the lower case, not each gear being installed onto each shaft.

If you pick up a trans out of a later model engine from above S/N 1413 on an 85, you will not need to disassemble the gear shafts. So, Damon's video may help you. There are several 1st and 2nd gen transmissions on ebay, some cheap and some not. I would not buy any that says 83/85 unless you knew it was a later 85. Now, another thing to consider on replacing the gear/shaft set is many bad 2nd gear trans have a slightly bent fork due to 2nd gear kicking out against the fork. I know many years ago when I did my 1st trans repair, my fork was bent.

I am still saying that the best bet is to go to the 2nd gen trans and I have everything you need, including the upgraded shift drum that was a definite problem on the 1st gens with the pins coming out. According to which pin that came out, you may only have 1st or you may have 1st,2nd and 3rd gear as it would only shift so far.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

I am very late arriving at this party, so pardon me if I missed something in the five pages of this thread.

1. Check the engine number. Both the clutch cover and the stator cover indicate that this is a 1300. I can identify the year of the engine if you give me the engine number.

2. If it IS a 1300, the second gear "missing" may not be because of the transmission damaged. It may be because of the linkage train; either the shift drum or the shift linkage on the left side. (The foot pegs are not stock MKI pegs, nor are the peg mounts. The left peg mount looks like it may have been part of an aftermarket floorboard retrofit. The linkage may have been cobbled.

3. Final drive is not stock MKI. Either MKII or maybe V-Max. EDIT: Upon closer examination, the final drive appears to be from a Second Generation Venture. I can just see the speedometer pickup port.

4. Trailer hitch is not made for a MKI Venture. Either for a MKII or perhaps a GW.

5. (minor point): The mufflers are from a MKII. Muffler mount is not proper for a MKI and the turn downs are as for a MKII.

6. (another minor point): The fairing bags are added. The 1983 Royale did not come with fairing bags; the brackets that hold the bags are also not stock Venture.

Could it be that the 2nd gear has already been fixed? As noted above by Prairiehammer, the final drive is from an MKII. Or would someone just change out the final drive?

Could it be that the 2nd gear has already been fixed? As noted above by Prairiehammer, the final drive is from an MKII. Or would someone just change out the final drive?

Actually, it appears your final drive is from a Second Generation Venture, not from a First Generation MKII.

The final drive can be replaced without modifying or removing the engine, so I doubt, just because the final drive has been swapped, that the second gear has been fixed.