IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

I hate to say it, but for what you have in that frame, which I highly suspect was broken and poorly fixed, you could have done what I suggested and fixed your own frame, and you would have known what you had. Also you would not have to change everything over. I would be tempted to contact the person you got the frame from and let them know you did not expect to get a frame that had been repaired. and I think poorly at that.

Now, if you are going to pull the motor to swap frames, are you going to do anything about 2nd gear while the motor is out? I am trying to help you, not give you a hard time. One other thing, I highly doubt that rust had anything to do with your frame breaking. I suspect that the two reasons were Yamaha's poor welding to begin with and someone spinning the bike around while it was on the center stand.

Randy

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to fix the 2nd gear. As far as the frame goes, I'm going to have a professional welder look at the welds and fix what needs to be fixed. Also, once I get the bike torn down, I will have this frame looked at too. I guess, I got what i paid for, however the seller did sell the frame , stating it was straight !!

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to fix the 2nd gear. As far as the frame goes, I'm going to have a professional welder look at the welds and fix what needs to be fixed. Also, once I get the bike torn down, I will have this frame looked at too. I guess, I got what i paid for, however the seller did sell the frame , stating it was straight !!

Wasnt that an Ebay deal Maddy? If so and especially if you paid thru Paypal, I would take the pictures you have posted here and write a request to the seller asking for the money back or at least a workable splitting on the over all cost. Ebay is usually pretty good about standing behind the buyer but you really need to do the correspondence thru them so they have record. Just reread the original post in the Auction to make sure no disclaimers are in there and it is clear that you were buying a good frame and if it is so,, I would get my cash back and start from scratch..

I don't know what to do now. I emailed the seller and he claims he did not see the welds. They were covered with grease and dirt. I sent him some pics. I guess I could still keep it and have a welder check it. If I send it back and buy another, I would. BE spending in upwards of $400 and I'm not doing that!!

I don't know what to do now. I emailed the seller and he claims he did not see the welds. They were covered with grease and dirt. I sent him some pics. I guess I could still keep it and have a welder check it. If I send it back and buy another, I would. BE spending in upwards of $400 and I'm not doing that!!

I would not buy another frame. I would turn your bike upside down and fix yours, just like I did mine. I would ask the guy what he wants to do because if you have to take his to a professional welder to get fixed, you might as well fix yours.

How much did you give for that frame and shipping?

Another option would be to just use that frame as it is, considering with the grease and dirt, it has been used in that condition. But if I was going to do that I would still tell the seller you are not happy with the purchase and ask what is he going to do about it. And, it is very possible that he did not know the frame had been broken and fixed.

Randy

I use to do a ton of selling bike parts on Ebay, wayy back before the market took a dump. I always did my best to double check stuff and define as clearly as possible any flaws and included LOTS of pictures in the ads just to show nothing was being hidden. Thru the years I had 3 or 4 ahhh ohhs. One was a stator cover w/ stator assembly as one piece. In looking at the cover it appeared that all was good. After the guy got the part I received a note from him that the cover had a web missing internally that was necessary for alignment. I asked for pictures which he sent. I compared his pics with my original pics and SURE NUFF = AHHH OHHH, I had missed that it indeed had a broken web internally - the break was so clean it looked like it was never suppose to have been there.. Refunded thru Paypal entire costs with shipping and told him to keep the piece = free stator parts if nothing else. Not all but most Ebayers pride themselves in maintaining good feedback. Another point of keeping it clean is if you are working thru PayPal and there is a problem, Paypal will put a hold on your account until you take care of things with the buyer.. I would definitely communicate the issue with the Seller Maddy and start over.

Side note,, speaking of Online Selling,,, if your a seller on Ebay and you think Ebay buyers can be persnickedy,, try selling guns on GunBroker. I had a lifetime collection of antique air guns that I got kicked off Ebay for a year for selling them on there (I see Ebay allows it now) and jumped to GunBroker. Out of every 25 guns I had at least one buy back due to a nick here and a scratch there and we are talking OLD stuff = REAL persnickedy bunch them gun buyers can be, definitely not as easy going as us bikers... :biker::big-grin-emoticon:

Okay, here is what I think I'm going to do. I spent $150 on the ebay frame. I will try to get my $$ refunded. This weekend I am going to turn the bike over to see how bad the frame is. I will assess from there. Now that I have my own crane, it shouldn't be any big deal to turn bike over. I will use Randy's pics as a reference.

Just a tip on your shop crane, I have the same one. I replaced the 2 bolts that hold the vertical to the base with the same size as all of the other bolts, then I welded all of the nuts to the crane. now it can be quickly assembled or disassembled with just one wrench. Mine has to be stored in a corner of the basement but then hauled up the steps and outside to use. This makes it a LOT more convenient. I also replaced the bolt for setting arm length and bolt for chain attachment with pins and clips like what are on the folding legs. This also makes it a lot more convenient to use. I then made a holder for the pump handle so that it has a place to live.

Just my 2cents here but before I jumped off the deep end I'd pressure wash that frame to inspect it better, then I'd start measuring for square. If it measures up then you have options to which is easier, fix yours or frame swap. On that note since you don't have a history on the old frame I'd check it too.

My vote would be to get your money back from the new frame and fix your frame properly! You already have it stripped so off to the welders!! That way you get to keep the original frame serial number and eliminate any registration hassles...

One of my pet peeves in life is having to return an item to get your money back. It's takes time I don't have! I'm not familiar with eBay's policy on this. The seller should send me a shipping label to ups this thing back! I'm aware that fleebay can be tricky sometimes when dealing with shady sellers and who has the time to repackage and hall it across town?! It's seems more of a hassle than anything else. Who knows anymore! This is not starting out as planned. There should not be a frame issue. Engineers were not thinking and they were unknowningly putting people's lives at risk. Now, 36 years later I'm dealing with this! Yes, I was aware about the frame going in to this project but why the hell cant sellers check and double check their items before selling??

sorry if I sound pissed but time is not what I have right now!

Just remember, "How do you eat an elephant........one bite at a time". Now, you just need to take a deep breath and figure out where you are going to start biting on next.

I do want to encourage you in that when you do get this bike on the road and have these things fixed, you are going to be glad you persevered. They really are great bikes.

Randy

Just remember, "How do you eat an elephant........one bite at a time". Now, you just need to take a deep breath and figure out where you are going to start biting on next.

I do want to encourage you in that when you do get this bike on the road and have these things fixed, you are going to be glad you persevered. They really are great bikes.

Randy

Thanx for the encouragement. I've always wanted a first gen and I will get this all sorted out. Just have to be patient.

Hang in there Brother, one thing at a time, we have all seen your past restore work , You got this!

As for which Frame to keep as your platform, if the old frame has not been touched by a a bad welder it is likely It can be fixed with less of a chance of issues with alignment, versus the ebay purchase where you are not certain the repair was done properly to ensure proper alignment.

The Tear down is nearly complete get it flipped over and cleaned up and go from there.

Keep us posted

Hermank84VR

Hang in there Brother, one thing at a time, we have all seen your past restore work , You got this!

As for which Frame to keep as your platform, if the old frame has not been touched by a a bad welder it is likely It can be fixed with less of a chance of issues with alignment, versus the ebay purchase where you are not certain the repair was done properly to ensure proper alignment.

The Tear down is nearly complete get it flipped over and cleaned up and go from there.

Keep us posted

Hermank84VR

Thanks guys again for the positivity. I have nothing planned this weekend so will get to work on the bike!

My home computer can't download manuals. Work computer does it instantly ! Believe it or not I have never removed a swing arm. I am going to flip the bike this weekend. I'm assuming there are 4 flange bolts under rubber boot and then of course the swing arm bolts and the whole thing slips off. No need to remove rear wheel and final drive?

My home computer can't download manuals. Work computer does it instantly ! Believe it or not I have never removed a swing arm. I am going to flip the bike this weekend. I'm assuming there are 4 flange bolts under rubber boot and then of course the swing arm bolts and the whole thing slips off. No need to remove rear wheel and final drive?

Hi Maddy,, on the outside of the frame at the swing arm pivot you will probably find a big black plastic cap on each side, you pull the cap and will be exposed to the bolt(s) that hold the swing arm in. Those bolts have a shoulder on them that match the bearings the swing arm rides on. If memory serves, the bolt on the right side is the one with a follower nut on it that sets the depth that you screw the bolt in for proper depth,, just make sure that when you back the right side bolt out that you note the position of that nut so you get the bolt back in to proper depth.. Hold on,, I might have a youtube vid on it,, I will see if I can find it..

Yep,, here ya go:

Edited by cowpuc
installed video for swing arm removal

Hi Maddy,, on the outside of the frame at the swing arm pivot you will probably find a big black plastic cap on each side, you pull the cap and will be exposed to the bolt(s) that hold the swing arm in. Those bolts have a shoulder on them that match the bearings the swing arm rides on. If memory serves, the bolt on the right side is the one with a follower nut on it that sets the depth that you screw the bolt in for proper depth,, just make sure that when you back the right side bolt out that you note the position of that nut so you get the bolt back in to proper depth.. Hold on,, I might have a youtube vid on it,, I will see if I can find it..

Yep,, here ya go:

That helps, thanks !!

Yup, there ya go! Now, when reassembling the swivel shackle for the shock inspect the bushings and shafts very carefully. A lot of times they get worn and can cause slop in the suspension. Many of us have drilled and tapped to install zerk fittings so those bushings can be periodically greased. If you like I can take a picture of how I did mine...

Yup, there ya go! Now, when reassembling the swivel shackle for the shock inspect the bushings and shafts very carefully. A lot of times they get worn and can cause slop in the suspension. Many of us have drilled and tapped to install zerk fittings so those bushings can be periodically greased. If you like I can take a picture of how I did mine...

Sounds good, thank you