IGNORED

Prarie Dog Hunt

Bubber

So this is definitely a non MC related post.

I want to plan a prairie dog hunt out in the Dakotas or Montana/ Wyoming for next year.

So I am looking for a contact to make this happen next spring/summer time frame.

Does anyone have a contact so I can contact them and arrange this hunt with them for me and my brother?

We would be self sufficient camping on the land.

If you know someone or have a contact please send me a message and we can take it off line from there.

Thanks

Bubber

We burnt the barrel out of a few 22-250 in Kaycee WY. on those dogs. Haven't went out in the last 10 years so I can't help much.

ROLLER ROLLER ROLLER!! YOU DA MAN BROTHER!! I had a Remington Model 700 bull barrel in 22 250 that had a real special attraction for Michigan crows!! BOOF they would go when that ol 250 spoke its words.. Talk about a fun shooter. Would have made a fine Prairie Dog shooter for sure IMHO!!

Soo Roller,, was ya shooting on private land in Wyoming?? The reason I ask is that I always thought Wyoming seemed to have a lot more fences, private and/or closed lands than,, sayyyy,, South Dakota... Thoughts?? Maybe just seemed that way as we were rippin across those prairies out CTFW..

PEOPLE FOCUS will ya LOL

IT's all about me here, at least that is what I tell my brother.

So no leads to spot to go prairie dog hunting yet.

And no we are not changing the name of Pork in the Pines.

But if we don't get more attendance at the PIP we will be serving a mystery meat from ND.or WY.

HELP folks before this post is taken over by aliens or some other subject.

Thanks all

Bubber

I've never heard of a planned Prairie Dog hunt before?? Camping out, and all that. I've never ever shot at a P-Dog, just deer, elk, and antelope, but my brother up in Montana generally goes out for an afternoon of making dog vapor and then calls it a day. Not sure if he's shooting dogs or squirrels. I think he mentioned shooting a few miles out of town by the county dump?? Not the most glamorous place to camp... Motel 6 and Denny's are much better. I was thinking if I ever get up there to visit again I'd take my 223/5.56 along to give it a try.

http://www.cast-aways.com/CONDORPICS/Sam-Side.jpg

PEOPLE FOCUS will ya LOL

IT's all about me here, at least that is what I tell my brother.

So no leads to spot to go prairie dog hunting yet.

And no we are not changing the name of Pork in the Pines.

But if we don't get more attendance at the PIP we will be serving a mystery meat from ND.or WY.

HELP folks before this post is taken over by aliens or some other subject.

Thanks all

Bubber

Will do Bubs,,, lets see here,,, oh yea - here it is...

So I figured what the 'H' an emailed my Bro... Here's the scouting report I just got back...

We call them Gophers here in Montana but they are really Canadian ground squirrels. They run a muck on the east side of the state with most along the high line and P-dogs more towards the states center going east/southeast. Gophers are dominant up north. Best P-dogs are in the Dakota’s and Wyoming. Bryan and I will be going to the east side in the spring to do some gopher exterminating, I’m really looking forward to it since we missed going this year.

Happy Halloween!

Your ageless younger brother, Tom

My understanding is once they are hit with a 22-250 there is nothing but a puff of red or "what was that".

So no cleaning necessary.

Food for hawks and coyotes.

But since there is no value to the rancher they appreciate anyone taking the largest amount possible.

I guess cows tend to break legs if they get their legs stuck in the holes.

kind of a service to the rancher for eliminating them or at least as many as possible.

Hey folks I still need a lead to contact someone about the P-dog hut. ANYONE?

Thanks cimmer

But I am not interested in a organized hunting expedition.

Looking for a rancher who would allow us to shoot as many of the varmint at no cost to him or us.

I was hoping it would be of mutual benefit to the rancher and us.

Maybe I am all wet here but that is what I was looking for.

Here in Michigan We are Hunting for a fellow riding a 83 venture with stickers all over it been cited over by Muskegon many times but he slips by every time I think i'll try to bait him in with HOTDOGS AND POP & chips HIS BIKES NAME IS TWEAKS :parrots: :fingers-crossed-emo:080402gudl_prv:

Here in Michigan We are Hunting for a fellow riding a 83 venture with stickers all over it been cited over by Muskegon many times but he slips by every time I think i'll try to bait him in with HOTDOGS AND POP & chips HIS BIKES NAME IS TWEAKS :parrots: :fingers-crossed-emo:080402gudl_prv:

AHHHH HAAAA,,, SO THIS IS WHY ME EARS :Bunny2:WAS RINGIN!!! Hey ya lop eared Hot Dog chompin, pop drinkin varmint brother of mine!! Wassup??? :Bunny:

Just got back in,, we been out having a BLAST with this 60 miles per gallon brand new Hybrid Hyundai Micro Motorhome that now has 12000 miles on it :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Not quite as much fun as CTFW on Tweeks with a tent on the back and all that BUT,, NOT BAD,, not bad at all really!! In the spirit of "when life deals ya lemons" and all that,,, REALLY not a bad 2nd place at all Drews!!

There,,, hunts over brother,, now back to those Hot Dogs!! :178::stirthepot::backinmyday:

:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

My understanding is once they are hit with a 22-250 there is nothing but a puff of red or "what was that".

So no cleaning necessary.

Food for hawks and coyotes.

But since there is no value to the rancher they appreciate anyone taking the largest amount possible.

I guess cows tend to break legs if they get their legs stuck in the holes.

kind of a service to the rancher for eliminating them or at least as many as possible.

Hey folks I still need a lead to contact someone about the P-dog hut. ANYONE?

Hey Bubber,, I am beginning to get the point that you are serious about this. That being the case,, here are some thoughts that come to mind. You ever tent camp/get out and chase the front wheel in the National Grass Lands of South Dakota?? Lots and LOTS of miles out there!! I have traveled/open camped numerous times through the years in S.D. (usually somehow related to the Rally but not always,, S.D. is an amazing place with endless "open camp" wide open places still intact) and taken advantage of public land fun many many times and can tell you that I KNOW for a fact that a LOT of those areas are open to public hunting (have seen it taking place with my own two eyes LOTS of times - never participated in shootin out there cause we have LOTS of year around varmint shooting here but I do KNOW for a fact the rules and opportunity for both residence and non-res are just as plentiful, and probably cheaper, out there in S.D.). A really good example = I know for sure that Fort Pierre National Grasslands up above Presho (gotta LOVE Presho!! GOTTA LOVE S.D.!!) are all open to hunting and open to camp.. I also know for a fact that there a LOTS of those Prairie Doggies running around out there cause I have also seen them with my own two peepers (lots of em well within pistol range too if ya wanna just walk and shoot - be REALLY fun to shoot em from the seat of a touring bike :banana:with a .22 pistol BUT I gotta hunch this would be illegal like in Michigan :doh:) and watched people shooting them on numerous occasions too.. Now, like you,, I too have a history of really enjoying hunting and have done a fair amount of varminting thru the years here in Michigan and can attest to (at least from what I have seen out there in South Dakota) the fact that local shooting Shops are pretty much the same all over the place and I think maybe a quick phone call to a gun shop within the Fort Pierre National Grasslands area telling them what you are looking for might just be a really good place to begin to start the adventure if you wanted to hunt that area. You might be surprised what kind of answers you might receive if you explain your plans and ask simple questions like: "Can you point me to the nearest open shoot hunting prairie dog towns?" = seriously!!

:scared::lightbulb:Just had thought,, hang on here a second,, I am gonna google that question followed by Fort Pierre National Grasslands and see what comes up.. OH MY GOSH!! You GOTTA see this!! GO HERE:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd506387.pdf

Now,, after looking at that info,, dont forget that what you are looking at is OPEN PUBLIC LAND hunting,, land that, as an American, you can,, for FREE, not only hunt but - OPEN CAMP because it is YOUR land (dont believe me? READ the 5th line down from the top of the PDF:happy34:) = seriously,, trust me,, have done it for many many years!! Also, keep in mind that the document I am displaying for you here is just one tiny area (even though its thousands of acres) of opportunity. It would probably serve you well to do a little more research than the few seconds I did here as an example - maybe a good South Dakota hunting state hunting guide like you get when you buy a license would be a TON of help (ya know what,, somewhere around here I actually have a recent one,, if I can find it.. I grabbed one this past summer when touring thru there - rest area across the state line from Pipe Stone Minn had a stack of em,, will see if I can find it!!).

THERE,, better get that Varmint shooter sited in brother cause YOU are going shootin:178:!!

I have looked at the grass lands site but I am still going to see if a rancher will allow us to hunt on his land.

I would rather do that than go to a property controlled by a government entity.

Just allergic to BS and stupid rules that they don't even understand what they are supposed to accomplish.

When I first read this heading I was wonderin "why in the h3ll would someone want to eat them things" When I lived in Oklahoma we had some in spots, but it was like them buggers knew where the protected lands were and they camped there. What about BLM land?