IGNORED

Ah Sundays...

Air Ready Auto

And speaking of yard work... We moved into this house when there was still snow on the ground. I have found that it has three problems. Number one mice, number two wasps, and number three weeds. The first two problems are being dealt with. ( I got a buddy that owns a pest control business.) I cannot for the life of me seem to get rid of all of the weeds on my property. I have tried a couple different brands of weed killer but nothing seems to work. It's almost like I have some sort of Kryptonian superweeds growing all around my house. Anybody have any suggestions?

I would be wary of using poison on the mice. One contract job I had in Nebraska involved working in a trailer that had mice. We pointed it out to plant management and they put out poison. The little critters ate the poison and went back to their nests in the floor insulation to die. The smell was horrific.

I bought a new house on an acre lot that used to be a dairy farm. During the winter, the field mice would come inside my house where is was warm. I put out traps using cheese and peanut butter. Eventually, I wiped them out.

I feel your pain. People who have attended my maintenance day know that I have a pretty big yard. Weeds are a never ending problem and it gets expensive trying to get ahead of them. I've sprayed once this year already at a cost of over $300.00. I'm getting ready to spray again and in fact, was going to do it today but of course the sprayer didn't work. The pump was locked up. It's a roller pump that runs off the PTO of the tractor. I had to take it apart, clean it up, and then finally got it working. Working well enough to show me that most of the hoses had cracked and were spraying water everywhere. So then I replaced most of the hoses. Finally got it all working and then was worn out and didn't feel like spraying today. Plan to get it done tomorrow. I spray about 3 1/2 acres so it takes a bit of time.

Like you, I have tried just about every brand out there and none seem to work very well. I recently found a website that has what looks like some professional type products. I've got a lot of research to do but will probably order something from them to try next time.

Here is the site if you are interested. Sorry I can't recommend anything specific at this time. I also have no experience with them yet so can't really even recommend them.

https://www.domyown.com

Hey, Don:

We have a similar-sized property, and VERY similar problems. You had some seriously funny lines in that first paragraph we truly enjoyed, having experienced the same issues within the last few days.

You also left out (or are blessed with NOT having) one other really, really aggravating problem - NEIGHBORS! You spend $300 spraying, and THEY leave the beggars completely ignored!

Thanks for the Giggle!

Rgds, WRIDR

Whats wrong with weeds? If it is green I am good with whatever will grow in my yard. I don't even mind all the pretty flowers they make. First you get nice yellow flowers that morph into pretty white fuzzy flowers, then come the purple flowers, and then the white flowers. And best of all I get all of this and I never have to replant, it is just like magic they keep coming back. Grass is way more work and no pretty colors.......

Not sure if it is the same in the U.S. of A. but here in Canada all week killers are eco friendly....which means they work like crap killing weeds. Not like a few years ago when you could use "Week and Feed" and it would kill the weeks but nourish the grass.

The only solution we've found is to take a picture of weed and email to local college agriculture people and ask what it is. Once we learn what it is we can look up weed and find best product to kill it. Regular store stuff doesn't do a thorough job on some types of weed. Amine is a decent broadleaf killer for large lawns... And the black bottles of Ortho for normal lawns or spot treatment..... But none work on all weed.

Find an Agronomist to Identify what You have. Farms Elevator Agronomy Dept. should have a Person to Help. Or Local Extension Service ( USDA _FSA office ) . A Farm-Home supply should have a Product called Trimec. It's a 3 way broadleaf herbicide. Can be bought in gallons and two half gallon jugs.. Not garden friendly though. Contains 2-4-D Ester and Dicamba. Stay away from small Trees. Best kill is spray after first frost in the fall a couple times. Weeds wake Up Dead in the spring. Evasive grasses are a whole other ballgame ! ! Need to do Preventers in the spring around the time Lilac bushes just start to bloom. last is Mow-Mow-Mow ! ! Feed- Feed -Mow -Mow.

Lots of Luck

Well I put down another 120 gallons yesterday. This one is for broadleaf weeds. The last time I used what was supposed to be for crabgrass control and some other weeds. We'll see how this one does. I've tried Bayer, Spectracide, Round Up, Scotts, and probably about everything else. I just haven't found anything that really controls them.

Some years ago, many companies stopped using the chemicals that actually kill weeds in favour of "eco" & "green" alternatives that seem to do absolutely FA! Then they have the nerve to up the price because these things are "environmentally friendly" & cost more to produce!! :mad:

It's a bit like the Ethanol in gas!