IGNORED

Kevin Smith

Freebird

I just finished adding Kevin Smith to our "Memorials" page.

http://www.venturerider.org/MEM/index.php

It has been weighing heavily on me that the passing of our friend and member Kevin, aka revks, was a bit overshadowed by the loss of our friend Yammer Dan. I want to apologize to anybody who may have had similar feelings about this matter. Yammer Dan was always front and center here, attended many of our events, and was very well known among the members.

Kevin, on the other hand, visited the site often, was better known by some of our members in other parts of the country, and just sort of quietly went about his business. I didn't know Kevin very well at all but from all reports, he was just a wonderful person. Having spent much of his life as a mechanic, Kevin later attended St. Paul School of Theology and was a pastor at United Methodist Church. In today's society, it is not always easily quietly going about doing the Lord's work.

Many of you have heard the story of Yammer Dan showing up at MD with his tent but forgetting to bring his tent poles. He got a lot of ribbing about that. So this year, a set of tent poles was put up with Dan's picture attached in remembrance of our friend. Dan was often present at my MD so it is understandable that he was on the minds of many here but that does not excuse me for not honoring the memory of Kevin at the same time.

I feel bad about it but I can't go back and change the past. All I can do is say that I am sorry if anybody was offended or hurt by my oversight and promise that I will try to do better in the future. In the meantime, let me just say that losing any member from our ranks is a sad day for the VentureRider family and Kevin, you are missed and I can promise that your wife and family are in my prayers.

God Speed our Friend. We will ride together again.

Thanks Don for doing this. Yes, Yammer Dan was front and center, but that didn't make him any more important than anyone else, even Kevin. Like you said, Kevin just went quietly about doing his thing, one of those guys who was in the support troops and not often noticed. I don't think I ever did meet Kevin, but I'm sure I will when time for me is no more and we can rehash the things that kept us going on this earth. I just wish that ALL of us could look forward to that time of eternal peace and harmony.

Well put Don and I agree One was no worse nor better than the other. Dan just put himself out there a bit more with all the ribbing and bantering etc. But Kevin was there when the need was felt and it looks like he is now needed elsewhere. May God be with you Kevin and peace and comfort with your family.

Would it be too late or in bad taste to maybe send a bouqet of flowers or something to his family? I'll happily put a little more in the SAS fund as I'm sure many others would be as well!

I always struggle with this decision when the family specifically requests that flowers not be sent. That was the case in this instance. They requested that people make a donation to a local church of their choice. I'm always torn between sending flowers anyway, against their specific request, or just doing as they ask. For that reason only, flowers were not sent this time.

I always struggle with this decision when the family specifically requests that flowers not be sent. That was the case in this instance. They requested that people make a donation to a local church of their choice. I'm always torn between sending flowers anyway, against their specific request, or just doing as they ask. For that reason only, flowers were not sent this time.

Understandable!