IGNORED

Uh Oh, I shouldn't be looking at craigslist

BlueSky

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also need to figure out a way to hold the bike up straight so I can check the oil. Ideas on how to do that I would appreciate. I miss the center stand.
What I do with my Gen 1 is set the oil level to the upper mark with the bike on the center stand as per the manual. When it comes off the center stand and is then on the side stand the level is about at the halfway point on the sight glass. Now when checking the level it is no longer necessary to put the bike on the stand to get an accurate enough reading.

With a Gen 2 that did not come equipped with all the necessary parts to easily check the oil level it's probably better to get some help to get the reading with the bike level. After that it isn't necessary.

To address the commonly held urban legend of keeping the oil level at or below halfway, I have always filled both my 89 and 90 VR's to the top mark when level on the center stand and have never experienced an issue with an excessive amount of oil getting blown into the air filter area.

I put a jack stand over on the left side under the crash bar for the bag so it cant go all the way over. It's not 100% straight up but pretty close.
Would that be a jack on the right side with a propped up side stand on the left? Seems like a good idea to me.

Might I suggest buying one of these from Harbor Freight. $60 Bucks. It works great for centering the bike for an oil check, or.... any other wrenching that needed to be done... It doesn't necessarily need to be mounted in a trailer....

2015-10-08 12.39.32.jpg

image_24675.jpg

Get a mechanics mirror (mirror on stick) Harbor Freight cheapo is fine, and a small flashlight.

Sit on the bike. Figure the best position to see the window with the mirror, light might help. Bring the bike up as you watch the level come up.

Ain't dropped one yet.

Get a mechanics mirror (mirror on stick) Harbor Freight cheapo is fine, and a small flashlight.

Sit on the bike. Figure the best position to see the window with the mirror, light might help. Bring the bike up as you watch the level come up.

Ain't dropped one yet.

Im still trying to figure out how the image in my mirror is upside down. Someone commented that if anything it is backwards I just got tire of tilting the bike over while looking at the glass. My mirror I got at true value for .99[emoji767]

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Ain't dropped one yet.

I'm sure this works but it is way too awkward and quite pointless. It is hard to understand why anyone would make a simple oil level check so difficult. As I mentioned earlier, once a level for full when vertical is established when on the side stand there is no need to do anything other than look at it. For example, on my Gen 1 when the oil is at the top mark when vertical it is about halfway up the glass when on the side stand. Easy peasy check which should work just as well on a Gen 2.

Presumably when changing the oil on a Gen 2 it needs to be held in the vertical position in some manner if nothing more than to let all the oil drain out the bottom but also to properly set the oil level. Whatever level you prefer, will then be quite apparent when the bike is put back on the side stand.

I'm sure this works but it is way too awkward and quite pointless. It is hard to understand why anyone would make a simple oil level check so difficult. As I mentioned earlier, once a level for full when vertical is established when on the side stand there is no need to do anything other than look at it. For example, on my Gen 1 when the oil is at the top mark when vertical it is about halfway up the glass when on the side stand. Easy peasy check which should work just as well on a Gen 2.

Presumably when changing the oil on a Gen 2 it needs to be held in the vertical position in some manner if nothing more than to let all the oil drain out the bottom but also to properly set the oil level. Whatever level you prefer, will then be quite apparent when the bike is put back on the side stand.

Clive, as you noted you do not have a second generation. On a second gen, when the bike is on the side stand, you see no oil in the window. Your starting point on the kickstand is zero. When you see no oil,,, may be worth checking.

I don't really check often as I don't see a puddle in the driveway or oil on the bottom of the bike. But, awkward and pointless, nah?

Cheers also, Mike G in SC

Clive, as you noted you do not have a second generation. On a second gen, when the bike is on the side stand, you see no oil in the window. Your starting point on the kickstand is zero. When you see no oil,,, may be worth checking.

I don't really check often as I don't see a puddle in the driveway or oil on the bottom of the bike. But, awkward and pointless, nah?

Cheers also, Mike G in SC

You are right, I don't have a Gen 2 and I am surprised they are so different from a Gen 1. So the Gen 1 wins again since it's faster to check the oil as well as faster on the road.

At least those who have a Gen 1 can stop fussing about how to easily check the oil.

I've always been lead to believe that top mark is no bueno. As when I do it my bike will start smoking put the exhaust from oil accumulated in breather box. Keep it half way up and its g2g.

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

I do not think that they went to make it hard to check. They went for accurate. On the side stand every bike will have a different lean, resulting in different oil levels way at the outside of the engine. Lean angle will be affected by tires, different brands and models have slight differences in diameter, Tire pressure has a big impact on lean angle, Suspension settings have a huge impact on lean angle, slope of the ground will also make a big difference. add them all up and there is probable a possible difference of a half a quart. On the other hand, vertical is always vertical and is a repeatable consistent reference point.

Besides, they took that engine crankcase from a bike that has a center stand to make vertical easy. It would have cost a lot to change the method of checking the oil.

Well, I found my mirror and tried to check the oil on the 07. The oil sight glass is several inches back under the engine and it was impossible to use the mirror to check the oil. So, I'll have to get it upright in a safe manner so I can lie on the floor and check it. As someone pointed out, I'll need it upright to change the oil too. I checked craigslist last night for motorcycle jacks and there are a plethora of them available within 100 miles but not in my town.

You are right, I don't have a Gen 2 and I am surprised they are so different from a Gen 1. So the Gen 1 wins again since it's faster to check the oil as well as faster on the road.

At least those who have a Gen 1 can stop fussing about how to easily check the oil.

I've never had or rode a Gen 1. Likely will not have a Gen 3, tho have demo'ed several,,, too old for that third gen at 68. GW trike is my two up now, and enjoying another gen 2 RSTD again for my solo.

I know your Gen 1 is an awesome machine,,, as is mine. Ride and enjoy, Camo. Cheers,,,, Mike G in SC

Lean angle will be affected by tires, different brands and models have slight differences in diameter, Tire pressure has a big impact on lean angle, Suspension settings have a huge impact on lean angle, slope of the ground will also make a big difference. add them all up and there is probable a possible difference of a half a quart. On the other hand, vertical is always vertical and is a repeatable consistent reference point

I agree Jeff,

many of us 2nd gen owners have changed the ride height with different links in the the back, fork tubes slid up, different tires, etc so what would work for one will not work for another. I have two blocks of wood screwed together to put under the side stand. It makes it nearly level. There is very slight lean to the left but not enough to have much effect on the level in the sight glass. The remaining slight lean means there is very little chance of it tipping over to the right.

I've always been lead to believe that top mark is no bueno. As when I do it my bike will start smoking put the exhaust from oil accumulated in breather box. Keep it half way up and its g2g.
I keep hearing that too but on both my Gen 1's I have always filled to the top mark when changing oil and then make sure it doesn't go below the lower mark. The air filter box on both machines does get a little oil film but nothing of any significance. My experience does not support the contention that the oil level should be kept below halfway. Seems to me Yamaha would not have put the upper mark there if it was a problem. Perhaps engines that blow oil when over half filled have some other issue that is raising the crankcase pressure.

If there is oil getting blown into the air box than it is logical to reduce the oil level until it stops. Perhaps at some point you won't be able to put any oil in it without it getting blown out.

I do not think that they went to make it hard to check. They went for accurate. On the side stand every bike will have a different lean, resulting in different oil levels way at the outside of the engine. Lean angle will be affected by tires, different brands and models have slight differences in diameter, Tire pressure has a big impact on lean angle, Suspension settings have a huge impact on lean angle, slope of the ground will also make a big difference. add them all up and there is probable a possible difference of a half a quart. On the other hand, vertical is always vertical and is a repeatable consistent reference point.

Besides, they took that engine crankcase from a bike that has a center stand to make vertical easy. It would have cost a lot to change the method of checking the oil.

You are absolutely right there will be a variation due to suspension geometry. That is why I suggested filling it to the mark when on the center stand or when vertical then checking it again when put on the

side stand. Not being familiar with the Gen 2, I did not know that it laid so far over that there is no oil level displayed when on the side stand. I gotta watch these assumptions.

I've never had or rode a Gen 1. Likely will not have a Gen 3, tho have demo'ed several,,, too old for that third gen at 68. GW trike is my two up now, and enjoying another gen 2 RSTD again for my solo.

I know your Gen 1 is an awesome machine,,, as is mine. Ride and enjoy, Camo. Cheers,,,, Mike G in SC

Yeah, I'm 71 so I'll be dead when and if Yamaha ever comes out with a Gen 3 Venture and doubt I could afford one if it ever did. When I get too old to ride my Gen 1 I'll probably resurrect my Virago 1100 but it's so little that I'm not really looking forward to it.

I've always wondered how well a wheel chock would work. I seldom check the oil when I'm on the road because I've never had to add any between oil changes. I have a lift so getting it upright at home has never been an issue. I also have a "home-made" wheel chock that was on a utility trailer that I bought years ago. I've never used it as a stand but it should work great. Just drive on the chock, get off, check your oil, etc. Seems that it would work very well for changing oil, checking the level, etc.

This is the type that I'm talking about. Of course you could buy an inexpensive lift for just a bit more money but this might be even easy for simple tasks when you don't actually need to lift the bike. Just keep this in your garage and drive on it when you need to.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html

I've always wondered how well a wheel chock would work. I seldom check the oil when I'm on the road because I've never had to add any between oil changes. I have a lift so getting it upright at home has never been an issue. I also have a "home-made" wheel chock that was on a utility trailer that I bought years ago. I've never used it as a stand but it should work great. Just drive on the chock, get off, check your oil, etc. Seems that it would work very well for changing oil, checking the level, etc.

This is the type that I'm talking about. Of course you could buy an inexpensive lift for just a bit more money but this might be even easy for simple tasks when you don't actually need to lift the bike. Just keep this in your garage and drive on it when you need to.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html

I have one those that I have used, on occasion for hauling and can attest that they do work well.. I am still wondering though,,, is the oil level site window on a second gen located in a different location on the engine case than on a 1st Gen??

,,, is the oil level site window on a second gen located in a different location on the engine case than on a 1st Gen??

The sight glass is in the same location but the Gen 2 has an exhaust pipe in the way of using a mirror to check the oil level.

I bought one of these last year for my RSTD and couldn't make it work. I have the stock size front tire, and it seems the tire is just a bit too wide to fit properly. I more or less forced it in, but that was a big mistake because it was about all we could do (my son and I) to get it back out of the stand. I ended up returning the stand and got my money back. Guess I'm curious how others make it work, because I'd really like to have one.

I bought one of these last year for my RSTD and couldn't make it work. I have the stock size front tire, and it seems the tire is just a bit too wide to fit properly. I more or less forced it in, but that was a big mistake because it was about all we could do (my son and I) to get it back out of the stand. I ended up returning the stand and got my money back. Guess I'm curious how others make it work, because I'd really like to have one.

i use Harbor Freights cheaper one ($37+ in your link) and it works great in my trailer

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been on a few short rides on my 2007RSV. At first, it felt awkward, heavy, and difficult to adjust to and I wasn't liking it that much. But, I'm getting more used to it now and I think I will like it just fine. It doesn't seem to be that top heavy to me. I'm used to riding my 525lb Kawasaki with a folded up riding position. So, the feet forward riding position and the heel/toe shifter is a lot to adjust to. It does have the gear?/clutch? chirping whine that makes it sound like a crappy bike and there seems to be a lot of drive line lash. I like the low seat height and the comfortabe seat. Overall it's a good ride. I'm liking it more every time I ride it.