IGNORED

Another earth shattering decision to make....

1BigDog

Me and the wife went on a 250 mile lunch run today. We wanted Texas Roadhouse badly but the one in Orange Park is usually crowded. We took 90 all the way to Lake City where TRH is rarely packed and we had a great lunch. Getting back up on 75 then I-10, we were running about 80. As I hit Jax and got on I 295, I felt fatigued. So did Jean and she was complaining about a headache. It hit us that the Road King mufflers, which are drilled out, was invading my space and seemed louder than ever. Now, I love the way they sound in local driving, but at highway speeds, it is now grating on me. So, I just might have to go back and install the stock mufflers for long highway trips. And you thought you had tough decision to make in your life, huh?:whistling:

I would look elsewhere than the R/K mufflers Jeff. That doesn't seem like it would cause that problem unless gas was pouring out of them. I have had drilled R/K's on my last 2 RSV's and have done many highway miles with them on....something doesn't add up to me on this

:no-no-no:

I would look elsewhere than the R/K mufflers Jeff. That doesn't seem like it would cause that problem unless gas was pouring out of them. I have had drilled R/K's on my last 2 RSV's and have done many highway miles with them on....something doesn't add up to me on this

:no-no-no:

Yep.....I agree!! We have done thousands of miles on the highway with the RK mufflers, and no problems. Maybe it was where you ate:confused24:

Jeff, I could see two sides to this. I think Squid and Lonna would have a point - the RK's aren't all that loud - especially compared to the Baron's 4-2-4's like I have on mine.

When the wife and I went to Colorado last year for the big Rally, the noise from out pipes really started getting to us on the long haul, but for me it wasn't that bad. What we did was go to ear plugs - and in our case, we bought some Big Ears - molded to your ears. These guys are usually at the bike shows. If I wasn't so attached to the "look" of the 4 pipes coming out the back, I would probably switch to the RK's. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Do you use your headsets and intercoms? If so do you have the mic-mutes? Since I've installed mine I've noticed much less fatigue. I used to get a roaring headache after 5-6 hrs of listening to engine/wind noise in the headsets. The mic-mutes solved that. Worth every penny I paid.-Jack

Guest Swifty
drilled out, was invading my space and seemed louder than ever. now grating on me.

:rolleyes:

the noise from out pipes really started getting to us on the long haul, we did was go to ear plugs molded to your ears.

:rolleyes:

Cotton in the ears is far easier than changin pipes.

...then why change them in the first place? (rhetorical)

May peace and quiet reign throughout the land.

Maybe you're getting some fumes into the the rider area, but are not aware of it, that will give the same symptoms.

No leaks from the pipes or connectors. Also have new gaskets on all pipes too. Fumes arent the issue.

Do you use your headsets and intercoms? If so do you have the mic-mutes? Since I've installed mine I've noticed much less fatigue. I used to get a roaring headache after 5-6 hrs of listening to engine/wind noise in the headsets. The mic-mutes solved that. Worth every penny I paid.-Jack

Nope, dont use headsets either.

We got tired of our Khrome Werks on our 96 RS. Went back to stock. It does get to be way to loud hour after hour on a long trip. Plus I don't get the ear plug & loud pipes thing. If you want loud pipes why do you wear ear plug ???

Personally I think that after 4 years of use the packing inside the mufflers are wearing out. My wife says she dont remember the bike sounding so loud at highway speeds before. I might be making a road trip so ill stick the stockers on and see if it makes a difference. Either that or maybe im just becoming an older grouch..:backinmyday: