IGNORED

This Wave Thing, My Take

grubsie

Probably been discussed before but this is my take.

First off, I am getting older and probably grumpier, so this wave thing is has/ is getting a little old to me. I don't even bother to wave unless the oncoming biker waves. My wife on the other hand, waves to everyone which is fine by me since I don't have to. Heck she even waves to people in their yards or walkways etc.

I am fortunate with my line of work to be able to ride my bike(s) daily, typically the entire day, weather permitting so I get quite a bit of riding in each year on the wonderful back roads in New England. In my observations over the years what I have noticed is the following.

Weekdays (typical work days for most people), during the main hours of the day, very few of the "few" riders I encounter bother to wave. Just the way I like it. Then typically from around 3 in the afternoon on, the amount of riders on the road increases and the percentage of those riders increases far more the the percentage of the earlier day riders. (Sigh)

On the weekends, all the warriors are out, and everybody and their brothers and sisters are waving. This goes on for a good percentage of the day and finally drops off around late afternoon and typically more so out on the back touring roads here in New England. I think the warriors are tired by then. :happy65:

Yeah, I am getting older and grumpier.

Come down south. Everybody waves, bikes, cars, pedestrians, etc. We hold doors for everybody, men or women. If you make eye contact with someone you speak to them whether you know em or not. It's hilarious when I travel and ask somebody how's it going or speak of the weather. They look at me like I'm nuts. Thought I was gonna have to fight a guy on the beach once for speaking to his girl, just spoke in passing. Da@$& Yankees.

Probably been discussed before but this is my take.

First off, I am getting older and probably grumpier, so this wave thing is has/ is getting a little old to me. I don't even bother to wave unless the oncoming biker waves. My wife on the other hand, waves to everyone which is fine by me since I don't have to. Heck she even waves to people in their yards or walkways etc.

I am fortunate with my line of work to be able to ride my bike(s) daily, typically the entire day, weather permitting so I get quite a bit of riding in each year on the wonderful back roads in New England. In my observations over the years what I have noticed is the following.

Weekdays (typical work days for most people), during the main hours of the day, very few of the "few" riders I encounter bother to wave. Just the way I like it. Then typically from around 3 in the afternoon on, the amount of riders on the road increases and the percentage of those riders increases far more the the percentage of the earlier day riders. (Sigh)

On the weekends, all the warriors are out, and everybody and their brothers and sisters are waving. This goes on for a good percentage of the day and finally drops off around late afternoon and typically more so out on the back touring roads here in New England. I think the warriors are tired by then. :happy65:

Yeah, I am getting older and grumpier.

Hey, if you don't feel like waving, then don't wave. F'em.

zag

Do you know why farmers always wait until the last second to pull out in front of you?

They're waiting to see if they recognize you and therefore need to wait so they can wave to you or if they don't recognize you and don't need to wave still just jump on the gas and go in front of you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Do you know why farmers always wait until the last second to pull out in front of you?

They're waiting to see if they recognize you and therefore need to wait so they can wave to you or if they don't recognize you and don't need to wave still just jump on the gas and go in front of you.

Yeah, well my brother-in-law smashed up and ground off one of his feet last year when some farmer pulled out in front of a line of bikes. His leg was amputated at the knee and he now limps along on a metal leg. I guess the farmer didn't know the group and just decided to pull into the road and see what might happen.

zag

I kills me emotionally. If I don't wave and the other party does at the last minute I'm too late and feel like I've been antisocial. If I'm feeling good and I initiate the wave I wonder if the other party is thinking, "Why can't we all just RIDE?!!!! If I wanted to be social I'd join the Masons!" If I wave and they don't I wonder are they antisocial or are they one of THOSE kind of people that believe there should only be one brand of anything in the world? If they initiate the wave and then realize what I'm riding after we get closer I wonder, "Do you wish you could take it back?" Then I get worried that I'm paranoid. Maybe I should take the riders class?

Man you got me so worked up I completely forgot the original intent of my post! I've had this idea floating around a few years now. Having just left the sign/graphics business after 31 years now might be the time to put this idea on the front burner.

Never feel compelled to wave again and never feel guilty for any breach of wave etiquette! With the computerized, relay powered, 3D printed waving hand accessory you can ride without even noticing other bikes are on the road! The camera senses EVERY bike before you even notice they're coming. The programming senses the style of bike and issues the appropriate response through the robotic hand that appears out of the canister mounted on your left fairing . (Picture The Adams Family)

A digital sign version would be easier but the old fashioned analog hand would be warmer and retain the spirit of the emotion.

Don, We have geeks, relay zealots, and now Ipleedthe5th is bringing fuel injection to the 1st gens after his initial airbox mod for universal filters. With all our resources could the forum produce a mechanical waving hand accessory and market it to all riders? This forum is only going to grow now that Yamamama finally got off the pot. Gotta find more income to support the extra bandwidth!

"Don, We have geeks, relay zealots, and now Ipleedthe5th is bringing fuel injection to the 1st gens after his initial airbox mod for universal filters. With all our resources could the forum produce a mechanical waving hand accessory and market it to all riders?"

Forget that nonsense! When are we going to start 3D printing plastic parts!

Years ago when bike riders were not as plentiful as they are today the wave was a sign of acknowledgment to a fellow two wheeled brother. Now days it all depends on the reason someone is on two wheels. Some are riding because they can’t afford gas. Some ride because they can’t afford four wheels. Some commute to work and ride because finding parking is easier. To the post office, to the grocery store, Micky D’s… Ad nausium..

Then some of us ride for the shear enjoyment and freedom of the experience, and generally it has nothing to do with having a destination less than an hour away. So in today's world, around town with a rider on every corner, they don’t wave. But get out on the open road and everyone waves. I guess it’s like a ‘family’ greeting of respect. The most memorable wave I’ll never forget is riding east on I-80 out in the Nevada boonies, with the east/west separated by what seemed like a quarter mile, a west bound solo biker was waving at our group flaying both hands up in the air. I returned to greeting in kind. It lightened my spirits for the rest of the day….. Around town I limit my waves to young kids on bicycles… Makes ‘m feel good, and maybe someday……

My 2¢

I wave .... when I feel like it.
Around the middle part of the country here, the cool guys like me don't really wave so much as we stick a couple fingers out in a knee-high, sideways peace signish acknowledgement of each other.

When my son was still young enough to ride two up with me, I made sure and explained that it was his job to do the waving. He took it as a huge responsibility and really got a kick out of doing it and feeling like he was part of some conspiracy or something

Around the middle part of the country here, the cool guys like me don't really wave so much as we stick a couple fingers out in a knee-high, sideways peace signish acknowledgement of each other.

When my son was still young enough to ride two up with me, I made sure and explained that it was his job to do the waving. He took it as a huge responsibility and really got a kick out of doing it and feeling like he was part of some conspiracy or something

that's the way I waved when I rode two wheels and now I hold out three fingers because now I ride a trike

that's the way I waved when I rode two wheels and now I hold out three fingers because now I ride a trike

Now that's funny stuff right there!:rotf:

I guess I wrote things wrong in a manner that I didn't realize as I originally posted. Not unusual for me as I talk that way to people all the time also and usually get quizzical looks or answers that I wasn't looking for.

I was trying to emphasize through my observations on how and when I notice people waving.

During weekdays/work days, typically increases most later in the day as more people get off work and have time to ride.

The weekends when most people have time to ride and the waving starts in the am as soon as they get riding but it definitely fades later in the day as all the weekend warriors are tired and heading home.

It seems that between 3 & 6 PM weekdays, especially the closer to towns you are riding, it's hard to go 10 minutes with 2 hands on the handlebars before someone is waving at you. Earlier in the day, you can ride several hours before encountering another bike, so I don't mind waving then. Just not every 2 or 5 or 10 minutes for several hours on end.

On the weekends, it seems that it's non-stop waving all morning unless you get out on some good back roads where most of the other like minded tourers are that just want to ride. You know, just ride. Seems that the closer you are to population areas, the more bikers you encounter and the more waving is happening. But funny thing is, get towards the end of the day and all these riders that would have waved earlier in the day are no longer waving.

I am getting older and grumpier. That's one of the rights of getting older. Not really that grumpy though, yet. I like waving as much as anyone else. Even though it's getting old depending on the context, I still enjoy it. Lord knows I have been doing it for over 40 years. But gosh darn it. I am getting old. Is it OK if i decide to hold on to my handlebars with both hands longer than 10 minutes at a time while riding without feeling a little guilty?

Man you got me so worked up I completely forgot the original intent of my post! I've had this idea floating around a few years now. Having just left the sign/graphics business after 31 years now might be the time to put this idea on the front burner.

Never feel compelled to wave again and never feel guilty for any breach of wave etiquette! With the computerized, relay powered, 3D printed waving hand accessory you can ride without even noticing other bikes are on the road! The camera senses EVERY bike before you even notice they're coming. The programming senses the style of bike and issues the appropriate response through the robotic hand that appears out of the canister mounted on your left fairing . (Picture The Adams Family)

A digital sign version would be easier but the old fashioned analog hand would be warmer and retain the spirit of the emotion.

Don, We have geeks, relay zealots, and now Ipleedthe5th is bringing fuel injection to the 1st gens after his initial airbox mod for universal filters. With all our resources could the forum produce a mechanical waving hand accessory and market it to all riders? This forum is only going to grow now that Yamamama finally got off the pot. Gotta find more income to support the extra bandwidth!

Your idea is way too complicated. How about a life-sized hand cut out of coroplast, mounted on a spring so it waves like a bobblehead doll, mounted on the left side of the fairing? You get a wave! and YOU get a wave! EVERYBODY gets a WAVE!!!!! (Your choice of 5 colours, "Peace Sign" and "Hang Loose" gesture, add $2, S&H not included.)

Your idea is way too complicated. How about a life-sized hand cut out of coroplast, mounted on a spring so it waves like a bobblehead doll, mounted on the left side of the fairing? You get a wave! and YOU get a wave! EVERYBODY gets a WAVE!!!!! (Your choice of 5 colours, "Peace Sign" and "Hang Loose" gesture, add $2, S&H not included.)

Because that's the kind of stuff I did for 31 years and now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do when I grow up! Coroplast signs are so YESTERDAY! 3D is the FUTURE and I want to follow that path!

That reminds me of those plastic hands on a spring with a suction cups that were popular with truckers back in the 70's for a short while. I think the demise of them was when a couple of truckers broke off all of the fingers except one...

Because that's the kind of stuff I did for 31 years and now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do when I grow up! Coroplast signs are so YESTERDAY! 3D is the FUTURE and I want to follow that path!

You're right, coroplast might be a little lowbrow in 2018. Better get straight to the holographic projector, Star Trek style!

p.s. Now I'm going to have 'Mrs. Robinson' playing in my head all day. Thanks for that! Koo-koo-ka-choo!

Some of you know that I just left the sign business after working for Gemini Letters and Plaques for about 14 years. I had a few people tell me over 10 years ago that dimensional letters were going to be a thing of the past. All I can say is that I saw sales increases every year except for one for the almost 15 years that I worked for them. That one year, it remained flat.