IGNORED

Clutch Slipping

Guest way2muchfun4u2

Guest way2muchfun4u2

I just got this 1984 xvz12, and after about 300 miles the cluth start slipping. Is there any adjustment on it? This bike has just turned over to 16,000 miles I dont think the clutch is wore out yet I hope. I thought about new clutch springs, looking for some ideas!!! thanks Larry

Larry,

I would 1st try to change out the clutch fluid completely, install fresh brake fluid in it and bleed it well. Sometimes the old fluid can make it do strange things, start with the easiest and then troubleshoot more if needed....we'll be here for you :happy34:

Buckeye Performance has the heavy duty Barnett clutch springs for the 1200 at a very reasonable price. When is the last time you changed motor oil? Fresh oil will make a difference. As was suggested, flush your hydraulic system and put in new synthetic fluid...

My first thought was, who put in the wrong oil, ordinary car oil will make it slip. Change the oil, if it improves run it for about 200 miles and then change it again. The additives in car oil make the oil tooo slippery and cause the clutch to slip.

Squidley means to say: change the oil. He must have been not too much awake for there is no clutch fluid persay, it's the oil that is also the clutch fluid.

• Yes, change the engine oil to non-energy conserving oil thats designed for a wet clutch setup.
  • change the clutch hydraulic fluid (brake fluid) and ensure the reservoir is not too full....it needs room to expand as the engine heats up, otherwise it will start slipping the clutch. You may possibly have loose scale in the lines that act like a check valve blocking return flow to reservoir.....so I'd flush a few reservoirs of fluid through the line....brake fluid is cheap.

Squidley means to say: change the oil. He must have been not too much awake for there is no clutch fluid persay, it's the oil that is also the clutch fluid.

Well I actually did mean to change out the reservoir brake fluid 1st. I didn't read into it that he had just changed the engine oil and started having problems, which it may well be that too

:confused24:

I know that in the past few years I have seen a lot of clutch descrepancies be cured with doing the routine changing of the clutch fluid. But you may be right on the wrong engine oil :)

Well I actually did mean to change out the reservoir brake fluid 1st. I didn't read into it that he had just changed the engine oil and started having problems, which it may well be that too

:confused24:

I know that in the past few years I have seen a lot of clutch descrepancies be cured with doing the routine changing of the clutch fluid. But you may be right on the wrong engine oil

:)

I guess that means you are right after all!!!??!! Darn darn darn, thought I was catching you in a error,,,,,,,,,oh well guess I'll just have to wait it out,,,,,,some day,,,,,some where,,,,,,some one will say,,,,,,,,,,guess what?:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::happy65::stirthepot:

I'll throw another one in there.... Took my slave cylinder apart to change seals. You wouldn't believe the junk in there. Took me an hour to clean all the crap and hardened stuff out of the grooves. Could possibly affect the way it moves.

Dan

• 1 year later...

I also have a slipping clutch. 1989 1300 VR. well my clutch was slipping, then we got some bad weather and the bike sat for about three weeks. then when I got on to ride, my clutch was totaly gone. had nothing!! couldn't even get into first gear. I thought that maybe I had a leak and all the fluid leaked out. I could find no sign of any leaks. I bled the clutch till I had clean fluid. it worked for a while but now it's getting worse and I think it's about to go away again. no signs of leaks still. Any Ideas? I'm desperate! Summers almost here.:guitarist 2::big-grin-emoticon:

I also have a slipping clutch. 1989 1300 VR. well my clutch was slipping, then we got some bad weather and the bike sat for about three weeks. then when I got on to ride, my clutch was totaly gone. had nothing!! couldn't even get into first gear. I thought that maybe I had a leak and all the fluid leaked out. I could find no sign of any leaks. I bled the clutch till I had clean fluid. it worked for a while but now it's getting worse and I think it's about to go away again. no signs of leaks still. Any Ideas? I'm desperate! Summers almost here.:guitarist 2::big-grin-emoticon:

It's possible that you have a leak in the slave cylinder, but in reverse. I would suggest taking the slave out and giving it a good cleaning. My theory is that as it draws back, it sucks in some air. It doesn't take much air to screw up the clutch.

Shell Rotella T 15W 40 Thats all I use in my bikes and have for years....but you'll get other answers for sure

:whistling:

Castrol 20/50 Used it for years and never had a oil related problem. Just use a good oil and change as you should.

Doesn't have to be motorcycle specfic oil. Should have No friction Modifiers. Bottom half of circle on back that contains info is Empty.

This post is for way2muchfun4u2, If changing the engine oil and Clutch Fluid (Use DOT3 Brake Fluid for this) doesn'tsolve your problem then try this Link:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2709&title=first-gen281983-1985-29-mki-heavy-duty-clutch-springs26amp-3b-full-disc-upgrade-kit-21&cat=6

This is every part you need to replace the set of clutch springs, the retaining bolts, and add a full friction disc in place of the 1/2 disc that is currently in your MKI clutch right now. Other members have used this kit with excellent results.:thumbsup2:

Earl

the clutch packs in these last 40 to 60k before serious slipping under full power happens. Wrong oil or clutch fluid filled to the top WILL cause slippage. I diid the too much clutch fluid thing when I 1st got mine 20+ years ago. That was quickly resolved. Finally @63k a few years ago she needed plate(s) replacement.

If ya get to the point where you're considering Skydoc's clutch kit......It's got my endorsment!!!

I installed one in my '84 last week and the bike is a whole different animal. No more slipping at all in 4th and 5th gears. And lets just say you can feel in in the lower gears to. Great hook up!

Mike

Castrol 20/50 Used it for years and never had a oil related problem. Just use a good oil and change as you should.

Doesn't have to be motorcycle specfic oil. Should have No friction Modifiers. Bottom half of circle on back that contains info is Empty.

Totally agree with Yammer Dan on the Castrol and on looking at the bottom half of the starburst (circle) on the back of the oil jugs. If that section is empty, I believe it is not energy conserving and - in my opinion - won't bother wet clutches.

Since 1980, I've used Castrol 20/50 in all of my bikes and all of my autos (that didn't specify energy conserving oil like 5/30). Driven and ridden a gazillion miles and have never had any internal engine problems. Of course, I do all of my own maintenance in my shop because I don't trust my maintenance/repair jobs to anyone else. Maybe I'm a bit anal or maybe I just like to pull my own wrenches. Either way, Castrol has been good for my stuff.:thumbsup2:

But, I also agree there are plenty of other good products out there.