IGNORED

First ad-Venture will be, 1000+ miles: advice?

FutureVentures

Ok, I am flying down this week to pick up my first, VENTURE!

It's a 2000 Millenium edition, with the tan leather seats.........gorgeous.

So, I'm planning to depart S/W LA early Friday morning and well, see how far I can/want to ride on the first day.

-My previous longest day was 500 miles, on my recently sold 2001 Vstar 1100.

I need to be back in NE Illinois by about, 4pm on Sat. night.

So, I have two days but I'm thinking, one day would be cool.

Is riding 1000 miles in one day, worth the attempt on these machines?

I'm thinking, cruise control will be a big help. Not to mention, a stereo! Have my mp3 and fm transmitter ready to pack.

Any recommendations on what essentials/tools or similar that I should have with me and that the airlines will allow?

Anyway, I'm really excited about my "new" ride and can't wait to put some of my miles on her.

:cool10:

Cheers!

Erich

eric. one thing you need to take with you, is a large "bandanna", it will help to hide your face, on the ride home!

if you don't wear it, folks will stare at that big "----eatin' grin", that will be spread all over your face!

congrats on the new scoot, and remember! we need pictures!

ride safe, and don't over do it!

lol:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

just jt

I have done 800 miles on a 2nd gen, and it's not worth it if you have 2 days. 500 miles days are a breeze on the Venture, about 9 hours worth of riding and your not wore out. There will be a getting used to period with this bike, so dont push it. RandyA's list is a good one, but do yourself a favor and go into the VR assistance page and print it out. If you run into problems you will have numbers of folks that are more than willing to come and help you.

The only thing you need to remember is have fun and enjoy the ride, it wont get much better than this ride your about to take :happy34:

BTW welcome to the club, hope to see lots more of you here

I don't think I would advise putting 1000 on the first day on a new bike. Your'e putting yourself in an unnecessarily stressfull situation:no-no-no:

The idea ought to be to enjoy yourself, that's what these mastodons are made for - easy pleasurable riding. This isn't a rice rocket, you don't need to hurry to get off:confused24:

Give yourself time to look around, take a few pictures, enjoy the ride. We'll enjoy the pictures, and you will improve your outlook on life !!!:080402gudl_prv:

Yeah, I hear ya: two days it is.

Plus, what AM I THINKING, I have a two day pass to ride and I'm trying to push it! Duh.

Just purchased the Ride like a pro V DVD, based on other threads. Wow, impressive. Hell, I already learned how to make better u-turns just by watching the preview.

Question, still: Flats. Since I'm riding a long trip alone, flat repair. Is fix-a-flat spray advisable? All my long trips have been with buddies and I just haven't worried about that.

Will definitely stop by Wally World and pickup a few tool essentials.

Also, wish I could cut that huge shield down before hitting the road, would rather peer over than thru. But hey, it'll be a good road test to see if I might like that.

Loving this site already.

Erich

I did a little over 500 miles getting my 2nd gen home. Could have gone more but 500 is a good 1st ride on the bike.

BTW, you don't need the FM transmitter for that MP3 player. There's a Aux. plug in the Cassette compartment. You'll only need a cable with the same kind of stereo plug on both ends. One that fits into the MP3 player and the same kind of plug to fit into the Cassette compartment plug. Then you'll just need to set the stereo to AUX and go.

BTW, you don't need the FM transmitter for that MP3 player. There's a Aux. plug in the Cassette compartment. You'll only need a cable with the same kind of stereo plug on both ends. One that fits into the MP3 player and the same kind of plug to fit into the Cassette compartment plug. Then you'll just need to set the stereo to AUX and go.

Ok, that is sooooo cool. I didn't realize that. Heck, I figured if it's got a cassette player still, it won't have a MP3 attachment. Awesome. Buying a cord today!

Also thinking, the mini-ipod I have, the smallest, might even fit within the lid of the cassette player.

Thanks.

One thing that I haven't seen anybody mention yet is something to pad your backside. If I remember correctly the MM Venture has rather hard seats, and if you are not prepared for them or used to hard seats it could get uncomfortable after a short time.

I had a 99 with stock seats and I believe they are the same as the MM but different color and I was hurting after 50 miles. My new to me 99 has pillow top seats and I can ride all day without problems.

So I would highly advise getting a GEL pad, or Sheepskin as added protection. I still carry my Sheepskin around, although I haven't had reason to use it and I did 2000 miles in 4 days.

I have put it on after the bike has sat in the sun for a long time just to keep from burning my backside.

Have fun, I have had this Venture over a year and put 26,000 mile on her and STILL HAVE THAT &^%* GRIN every time I ride her!!!

You might want to go here:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1828

and download the owners manual and/or service manual.

You could look through the owners manual ahead of time and become familiar with the radio operations and some of the other things about the bike so you won't be as distracted trying to figure things out as you're riding for the first time.

One thing that I haven't seen anybody mention yet is something to pad your backside. If I remember correctly the MM Venture has rather hard seats, and if you are not prepared for them or used to hard seats it could get uncomfortable after a short time.

I had a 99 with stock seats and I believe they are the same as the MM but different color and I was hurting after 50 miles. My new to me 99 has pillow top seats and I can ride all day without problems.

So I would highly advise getting a GEL pad, or Sheepskin as added protection. I still carry my Sheepskin around, although I haven't had reason to use it and I did 2000 miles in 4 days.

I have put it on after the bike has sat in the sun for a long time just to keep from burning my backside.

Have fun, I have had this Venture over a year and put 26,000 mile on her and STILL HAVE THAT &^%* GRIN every time I ride her!!!

TO PAD YOUR BUTT,STOP AT A DALLOR STORE,AND GET A SHOWER MATE,WORKS GOOD,YOU CAN TAKE IT OFF,AND ON,AS NEEDED:080402gudl_prv:

I did 4K in 5 days on a west coast trip on my RSTD and I didn't ride the third day. A 1K day is not too tough on the interstate. The last part of mine was across Oregon on 26 dodging deer and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone! Here is what you need for yourself personally:

1. Good underarmor or the like underwear. Wal-Mart sells a generic brand for about 7 bucks. They fit like bicycle shorts with no seams on your backside. Before you put them on, get some powder on your butt. At every gas stop I pulled back my jeans and shot a squirt of monkey butt powder down my drawers. Felt silly at first, but it is a MUST DO! I use the actual Monkey Butt Powder. My buddy uses Goldbond or some such thing. You need powder to be comfortable. TRUST ME!

2. You need a camel back or a way to drink while riding down the road. I like the camelbacks so I can keep the hose right by my mouth and get a drink. Stay hydrated. You should have to really pee when you hit your gas stops. If you don't - drink more.

3. You need something to rest your back against. I use a big bag with a bedroll.

4. Earplugs or noise cancelling ear buds. I use Shure e2c's. Love them.

5. Rain gear.

6. Tire plug kit and enought CO2 cartridges to get you rolling. I carry about 8. I also carry a MSR bottle of gas, but you shouldn't need it if you're running highway all the way back.

7. Ibuprofren. You'll need it. You will be in situations where you have to really focus, or tense up and you'll be glad you have something.

8. Make your gas stops wisely. You need to maximize your time if you're going to run 1K in a day and make it easy.

Have fun! Would I recommend riding 1K a day for all my trips? NO. You won't see anything. But, it's not that hard to do if you're just trying to get from point A to point B.

Be safe and Congrats on your new bike!:080402gudl_prv:

Hmm, hoping you're mis-remembering. Sure looks plush to me. Just the same, I did keep my Butt Buffer from my VSTAR 1100, which did not have a comfy seat.

JeffC- Thanks! That is one thorough reply, much appreciated. TOTALLY agree with the under armour, used it last year on a 500 mile day, big difference.

Will have to try the butt powder, what the heck.

Have been using earplugs on long rides too, another big help, less fatigue.

Not sure how I'll do the camelback, have to think about that one. Or, maybe a cupholder and a drink with a straw(full face helmet).

Have rain gear but, need to pick up some good coverall gloves. A buddy used oversize dishwashing gloves, they work great, albeit ugly.

Thanks again folks,

A 1K day is not too tough on the interstate.

Just curious as to what you (and others) consider a "day"? Is that 12 hours...24 hours... or however long the 1000 mile trip takes within a 24 hr time frame. I'd think 1000 miles would be impossible to do in 12 hours .... maybe 18-20?.

Oh No. dont worry , he is comming from V-Star after 2 hours That'sHard seat.

You can doit 1000mils in one day have a nap when you are tired, and keep going. Iron Butt award is on touch of your hand

Just curious as to what you (and others) consider a "day"? Is that 12 hours...24 hours... or however long the 1000 mile trip takes within a 24 hr time frame. I'd think 1000 miles would be impossible to do in 12 hours .... maybe 18-20?.

I have done 1160 Mils in 18 Hours. Interstate ride. Thats with Half Hour shift Change on gas station, and run out of gass on I 80 in Wyoming.