IGNORED

Someone PLEASE...

...come to Papillion and talk me down off this ledge! I've got countless hours and so much money I'm ashamed to speak about it into this stupid venture. I get one nearly 500 Mile weekend, pull this piece of crap out and take a 30 mile ride on Wednesday and I have this freaking leak in the radiator that I've had to reattach the stupid overflow tube back on 5 times. This last patch is perfect! And the other end of the damn radiator starts leaking out of nowhere! I'm either going to park this effin thing in the backyard and use it as a planter or plant myself and push up daisies! I've been out of work since mid-march with all the Time in the World to ride this thing I've been working on for a year and I got 500 miles out of it. I've been working on it constantly and this is what I get for my efforts.

Ok, I have been blessed with one job referral from a guy who knows a guy, an interview two days later,a job offer, a job accepted and it's a great opportunity! The job? Selling new and used Vehicles at the metro area's premier Toyota dealer! ( I am very blessed to be able to go back to selling Vehicles again. Even though I got sidetracked by medical sales for 23 years, I always loved that work when I did it before. And now with the family out of the house and just me and the little dog, the hours won't be a problem except that it will leave very little time for touring on a motorcycle.)

I guess I'll just park this POS where I can walk by and kick it in the knee everyday and sell enough cars to buy a new SVTC next Spring.

I think I have a radiator from an '86 in the shed (I'll check tomorrow). If so, it's yours for the shipping costs.

Dave

there you go showing why this is such a great bunch of folks that hang out here. :happy65:

Another way to look at it is "I've conquered everything this bike has thrown at me. All it can come up with now is a puny, easy to diagnose and fix, everyday garden variety radiator leak." C'mon man, yer winning! All it can do now is pee at ya!

Besides, if ya really were gonna give up, you wouldn't have posted here so we could talk you out of it, right? And any minute Puc will be along with an inspirational video ...

Congrats on the new gig, how great is it gonna feel riding to work on your newly tamed beast! :banana:

Tim

In my life experiences, it seems that once a radiator starts leaking, it's probably just generally corroded and will keep leaking here and there. I checked ebay for you and there are quite a few 83 radiators, most are pretty cheap. Besides getting some assurance from the previous owner that it doesn't leak, you could bring it to a shop and have it pressure tested so that you know it will be ok after going through the effort to install it. If you are sick of working on it, maybe you could find a local shop that would be willing to install a used radiator that you supply them with. On my 83 venture, the entire bike was reconfigured so much that I needed a tall skinny radiator instead of the stock one which is short and wide. I bought a new one designed for the Honda VTX and mounted it upside down to align better with the hoses.

zag

Hey Steve,

As it is with MANY things that are important in life, your wife, your children, your Car, or your truck, it's OK to be angry with them my friend, BUT you NEVER GIVE UP on them! This is a 35 year old motorcycle, and from time to time it is going to need some replacement parts. Count on it. The fact that it is paid for means that you can spare a little time and money on it. Think of how you would feel if your bike was broke down, AND you had a loan payment on it! For me, these motorcycles have been a "Labor Of Love", just like my wife or my children. I don't always like how they act, or like what they do, but I ALWAYS love them. Every time I get on my 87'VR and I start her up, my spirit comes alive! EVERY TIME! If it means I have to twist a wrench to get that feeling, I would gladly do it. EVERY TIME! If you don't get that feeling from you 83'VR, then perhaps you should trade it in for a PRIUS!

When I was a child, my Father, who was a very wise man used to say to my brother's and myself, "Boys I love you with all my heart, and wouldn't trade a one of you for a million dollars..........BUT I wouldn't pay a nickel for another one of you"!

This very important life lesson has stuck with me thru all these years, I LOVE my 87'VR with all my heart, it has given me times of great pleasure and pride, it has also been a great disappointment and a source of embarrassment on a few occasions. But as I mentioned earlier, I have never given up on the old girl, and the good times have greatly outweighed the bad times, much the same way my relationship with my wife and my children has been. With some time and patience and elbow grease, "This too will pass".

Just my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Earl

That a boy Steve! Don't give up on the old girl just yet!! Bravo to you Dave for sharing that radiator with Steve. Like it has been said many times, this forum is a Family. Just because we all are not related by blood doesn't me we don't care very much about each other!

Good Job!

Earl

Thanks everyone. I'm better now.

A few weeks ago I did Dr. Jordan Peterson's personality profile. He's this guy and I wish I had understood his wisdom when I was younger!

Anyway, measuring my "Volatility" on his scale, if I were in a room with 100 people, 11 would be more volatile than me. But hey, only 9 would be more compassionate, 6 would be more enthusiastic and 9 would be more open.

Thanks to utadventure, I will have a replacement for the radiator soon with Orlin Enge in a holding pattern to send me one if needed.

You guys are the best.

She is so close to being the girl I've always known she could be but these minor little nagging things just drive me nuts sometimes! Not to mention my own clumsiness where I dropped the nut that holds the left handlebar on down into a space where I can't find it anywhere and have to pull the left side of the fairing off again to find it. (I never did find the 2 in spacer that dropped out of the fork last week so I'll get it while I'm in there too)

I am proud of the mechanical skills that I've restimulated because of this old gal. My friends and family are surprised that I know how to do any of this because they just had never seen me do any of it before. I always give credit to you all for making me almost foolproof with your knowledge and shared wisdom. (I would love for some of your patience to rub off on me now. RIGHT NOW!) HA! It has been 14 months of challenges though. She's so close and the times we have been out together she makes me smile ear to ear! Right up until a new failure shows itself anyway. As I mentioned to Dave, I'm still not ready to ride farther than I'm willing to beg a friend to come pick us up with his trailer!

Soon, very soon.

Hey Puc, have you thought of "Heading to LA, via Omaha"? (Charlie Daniels)

S

Laugh if you must, or just shake slap your forehead like I did, but...

Here's how stupid I can be...

[video=youtube_share;C7a3n-c0QoU]

Please feel free to share some dumb stuff you've done too!

Glad that I have help on the way with that other radiator from utadventure! I'm out of ideas for how to make that tube stay stuck! JB Weld and JB quickweld don't work. This last week I pulled the radiator off and cleaned it super good thinking that I was going to be done reattaching this thing!

Kindest regards and prayers for Yammer Dan's family! (Sure glad that the Holy Spirit is here to interpret and relay the longings of my heart over the inadequacies of my words!)

S

...come to Papillion and talk me down off this ledge!

Not even a joke my friend.

Everyone will help you get and keep your girl running, and all the dang money you have thrown at her will pay off. I've been so stinking busy, I've only had my bike out 2x this year, and I'm retired, lol...

...come to Papillion and talk me down off this ledge!

Not even a joke my friend.

Everyone will help you get and keep your girl running, and all the dang money you have thrown at her will pay off. I've been so stinking busy, I've only had my bike out 2x this year, and I'm retired, lol...

the tallest building the tallest building in Papillion would only screw me up so I could never ride

Thanks everyone. I'm better now.

A few weeks ago I did Dr. Jordan Peterson's personality profile. He's this guy and I wish I had understood his wisdom when I was younger!

Anyway, measuring my "Volatility" on his scale, if I were in a room with 100 people, 11 would be more volatile than me. But hey, only 9 would be more compassionate, 6 would be more enthusiastic and 9 would be more open.

Thanks to utadventure, I will have a replacement for the radiator soon with Orlin Enge in a holding pattern to send me one if needed.

You guys are the best.

She is so close to being the girl I've always known she could be but these minor little nagging things just drive me nuts sometimes! Not to mention my own clumsiness where I dropped the nut that holds the left handlebar on down into a space where I can't find it anywhere and have to pull the left side of the fairing off again to find it. (I never did find the 2 in spacer that dropped out of the fork last week so I'll get it while I'm in there too)

I am proud of the mechanical skills that I've restimulated because of this old gal. My friends and family are surprised that I know how to do any of this because they just had never seen me do any of it before. I always give credit to you all for making me almost foolproof with your knowledge and shared wisdom. (I would love for some of your patience to rub off on me now. RIGHT NOW!) HA! It has been 14 months of challenges though. She's so close and the times we have been out together she makes me smile ear to ear! Right up until a new failure shows itself anyway. As I mentioned to Dave, I'm still not ready to ride farther than I'm willing to beg a friend to come pick us up with his trailer!

Soon, very soon.

Hey Puc, have you thought of "Heading to LA, via Omaha"? (Charlie Daniels)

S

I think if he rerouted his trip, everybody would think he flipped going to LA... Via Omaha ;)

the tallest building the tallest building in Papillion would only screw me up so I could never ride

No good reason to jump - these little hurdles will be forgotten in another year. Right now it might seem like an endless stream of issues, but in another year I will bet that you cannot even remember each of these things. I haven't had to do anything on my 83 for a long time - ever since I rebuilt it 10 years ago. Gotta just tough it out right now.

zag

This is not about a venture but, I got a call this morning to return tony call. So I did and he informed me I did excellent job on cleaning my carbs, he then tells me the reason Kitt will not idle is because I put the plug in the idle jet... Now I'm like ok kool. So I get off the phone with him and look up the 1986 honda nighthawk on hondapartshouse. Sure enuff no plug goes there. This is something I should have learned from our bikes to look in parts fische. Got back home threw the carbs in kitt put tank back on and hit the starter button and he fired right up!! I have most my day riding him went out to Grande Falls.

adfea0a093d2520d2a42d238445bd6c8.jpg0ac19648d7abcab3330742ef65e68cfc.jpg

Edited by snyper316
Auto correct and pictures not included.

No good reason to jump - these little hurdles will be forgotten in another year. Right now it might seem like an endless stream of issues, but in another year I will bet that you cannot even remember each of these things. I haven't had to do anything on my 83 for a long time - ever since I rebuilt it 10 years ago. Gotta just tough it out right now.

zag

Yes I am getting really close. I think that's what's so frustrating. FedEx has my radiator on the way so that'll be taken care of. For some reason the drip on the kickstand has stopped. I didn't pull the cover yet to see but I'm thinking maybe because I put the stator Oiler upgrade in that perhaps it's leaking from there? Or I've got to do this oring behind the Clutch Slave which shouldn't be a big deal either should it? And if Cruiser dude just going to sell me the fairing parts without having to buy all the plastic and a couple turn signal covers, she might actually be worth putting some paint on! I washed it today, probably the first time in 20 years. She'll clean up nice when I get excited enough to scrub the rust off the downpipes on the front. I just want to sit behind the windscreen and go. Winter will give me plenty of time to take it apart and detail it up. Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and wisdom again. Maybe next year I could actually ride to some of these maintenance days and stuff! I can only eat two hot dogs though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes I am getting really close. I think that's what's so frustrating. FedEx has my radiator on the way so that'll be taken care of. For some reason the drip on the kickstand has stopped. I didn't pull the cover yet to see but I'm thinking maybe because I put the stator Oiler upgrade in that perhaps it's leaking from there? Or I've got to do this oring behind the Clutch Slave which shouldn't be a big deal either should it? And if Cruiser dude just going to sell me the fairing parts without having to buy all the plastic and a couple turn signal covers, she might actually be worth putting some paint on! I washed it today, probably the first time in 20 years. She'll clean up nice when I get excited enough to scrub the rust off the downpipes on the front. I just want to sit behind the windscreen and go. Winter will give me plenty of time to take it apart and detail it up. Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and wisdom again. Maybe next year I could actually ride to some of these maintenance days and stuff! I can only eat two hot dogs though.

Soon as you're ready we'll have to try that bbq joint in Gretna. BY FAR my favorite bbq!!

Edited by Chaharly

FedEx has my radiator on the way so that'll be taken care of.

Is it new or an old one taken off someone's bike? If it is an old used one, you might want to consider bringing it to a radiator shop and have it pressure tested. No point to install a leaking old radiator if it can be avoided.

zag

you said you got the parts.are they ok? need anything else?

I did and they are good! That certainly was creative Packaging! I bet they did laugh at your box at the FedEx store!

Today the rainiest weather in the country seems to be centering on Nebraska, Kansas and Eastern Iowa.

That means I will be putting the new turn signal lenses on today and after my ride last night I've got to reposition my handlebars a little bit. I'm trying to decide whether to adjust them at The Handlebar level or down by the key this time. I do have the grips rotated up quite High and I had issues with my carpal tunnel 25 minutes into my trip last night and when I Road Missouri for that 5-hour ride 2 weeks ago I didn't have that issue and I can't remember where exactly those handlebars were sitting. So I'll play with that while the rain drums on my garage roof. I have time to put away all my tools in the shop and get ready for the next time.