IGNORED

WHY air cooled....

The following as I see it, needs to be said/typed:

I got to ride a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental in an ambient temperature of 81 F today. It hit that where I was in bright sunshine. Whether it would be 85, or even 90, would have truly made no tremendous impact to riding the bike at 81 F.

I rode the motorcycle for over 50 miles...(he told me I could...and welcomed my opinion as of coming off years with a Gold Wing. I later found out he bought it for himself, with part of it, being my unbridled enthusiasm in anticipation for mine, and that I left a Gold Wing et al. Where he got it from, I didn't ask. It was in great shape and red!)

With all that out of the way. I want to open up by saying that my 'intelligent expectations, were met at a level of 600 per cent. I'd say...my experience was 6 times or more, GREATER, than I would have 'hoped' would be my ride, down country lanes, on the Highway 401, up hills..down into dales, all of it. This motorcycle folks..from a guy who has ridden untold thousands upon thousands of miles in over 50 years uninterrupted, is truly The Ring, that Rules Them All... The ride, the torque on tap from the get go. The open full throttle hell-bent response of this magnificent motor...is AT LEAST as fast up taking as the 118 hp, 6 cylinder Honda Gl1800. The first time I took it from 2-6, at full throttle on Sport Mode, it was snapping my head back..and I had to hold onto the bars, for my body sliding backward! This engine, AND FORGET IT BEING 77 horsepower...my gawd...the torque and PULL this thing has...can put your lips back over your forehead...H.S.!

When I was then within my 50 miles, (no 15 minute demo...with bikes all around me...no...I WAS RIDING THIS BABY!!!!) Full throttle pulls, slow progressive shifting at 1200-1500 up shifts, etc...5th and 6th gear low RPM roll outs...all of it... I became angry....yep...real anger...that lots of poor souls, looking for a different ride, perhaps looking for this exact ride...are being misinformed, being 'played' by what I feel, could be a group of forum and YouTube posters, that have an agenda...yes...I said it...(here's the banning banter...) AN AGENDA, to want to see this bike fail...to want to punish Yamaha, for NOT putting 'the' engine that they wanted to see in the 'new' Venture. They hate the choice that Yamaha made...are angry with the choice that Yamaha made...and want to get in their 'shots'....to punish Yamaha...and to PROVE that their engine choice, a large bore, tradiional V-Twin WAS THE WRONG CHOICE! That it was air/oil cooled, and not what they wanted to see in the new rig...a liquid cooled engine...WAS THE WRONG CHOICE....and so...they came, these certain bloggers, riders...to any number of Yamaha Demo Days, to want to ride this big bore, V-Twin configuration, READY, like a gunfighter on the streets of Laredo...ready to pull out, and blast anything they did not like about the bike...and most...c'mon...most already had a bug up their wazoo, BECAUSE of the choices Yama Mama made...that did not align with their hopeful expectations.

First off....to all those bloggers who had me worked up that this bike has a really bad HEAT Output problem...and 'Oh...it about cooked my left thigh! Oh...man....I started cookin' at the red light. Oh...jeez...it's so hot, who could ride this bike in 80--90 F temperatures...Oh...Oh...."

All you folks...and every one of those 50 miles today, says you are spouting a crock of **##*@@! WHAT HEAT? AGAIN....WHAT BLISTERING AND SO UNCOMFORTABLE HEAT? WHERE? BELOW ME? NOT! ON MY LEFT THIGH? NOT....ON MY LEFT ANKLE...NOT! What a crock of was being blogged and YouTubed out there on these Demo Rides...by folks that had absoltuly NO wish to own...did not WANT to own a V-Twin, air/oil cooled...most were NOT HAPPY WITH YAMAHA in their design...and quite frankly...wanted to dumb down the bike. 'Oh man...this is why I would NOT BUY this bike...". What a load of ##&@*, the all of it.

Folks, if you want the truth....and you are open to it...and every SVTC owner on this forum will also tell you....THEY HAVEN'T FELT blistering....uncomfortable...oh 'JEEZ'...heat...being given off by this engine...whether (at 82 F) sitting at a red light LIKE I DID, whether being stuck in 15 minute 401 lane closure back-ups LIKE I DID, running at stop and go for 1 mile LIKE I DID, and then rode slow 30 miles per hour loping along in 3rd/4th like I did...or blasting down the roadway at 60-85 MPH, like I did today...in 5th and 6th.

Folks...with lower level fairing vents open on both sides of the bike for Summer riding, with the two wind deflectors moved inwards to capture cool air, (that they were designed to , and for to be used), there NEVER...let me repeat that...NEVER was a time that this engine, put out MORE heat than my 750 cc in-line four Kawasaki ZR7S!!!!!

Yeah..had to shout that...

This bike, runs...COOL...cooler in the cockpit, and on my legs and thighs, than even my in-line air/oil cooled Kawa, at only 750 CC's

Am I banned yet, Freebird? (hope not...) I believe that after actually riding this bike...experiencing this bike over 50 miles...in traffic, out of traffic, at crawling along, at 30 mph, at 80 mph...by my own, and not somebody's ELSE'S YouTube commentary...that there is absolutely to this man's mind...that there is a conspiracy with intent by some, to see this model, this first year release, and the choices that Yamaha made regarding this bike...TO FAIL...because (sour grapes) it did not match their metrics and expectations. Simply that....

I can't imagine how many potential adopters, have been put off...scared off...by quite a few riders...that HAD NO SKIN IN THE GAME...had no intentions of seeing this motorcycle as their possible next...had no intention whatsoever...than came on YouTube, came on varied Forums, and told their tales of SVTC woe..."there was so much heat put out..that I felt it was cooking my leg....blah, blah....B.S....blah.

Folks...FORGET their comments, if they had never said, they had gone to the demo, with a true interest in mind...to purchase this bike. Their comments are totally 'glad I didn't buy this...because wow...the heat...the heat nearly cooked my leg..." are biased as H*ll!

Forget their comments...heck, forget MY comments...and please...if you want a change up of venue...if you want a new ride, for ANY of your good reasons...and have been dissuaded by what you have read, or what you have 'rode along with' by bloggers such as ..well, I won't name them...

You wil be shooting yourself in the foot..if you truly bypass riding this motorcycle for yourself....being sure that the bike has been configured for the season you are riding in....Summer Fall, Spring....open the lower vents...move in the air deflectors to collect cool air...and RIDE...you will surely feel a warmth...but folks...jesus....it is only a nice hugging warmth...that any engine will put out...even my 750 Kawasaki...but in NO WAY, NO WAY, are you going to feel uncomfortable...going to feel that this heat is rider-unbearable. That, my friends...with 50 miles in the saddle...on this magnificent motorcycle...those outlandish comments...is a crock of you-know-what!!!

Ride for yourself...and foment your own opinions....not rely on other's riding comments...and heck...even my own here....ride for yourself!

If this bans me...then it was a great run, here folks...but it had to be said. Some really bad copy was being published since the reveal...and I, and so many others, must have at some of it, bought into it. I still purchased, on intelligent expectation. My ride today...two days before Charlotte comes home..SHOWED me, that my years of riding...my years of "hmmmm reading that Yamaha Engineers put out a bike that was for some, cooking their legs, thighs, that..but from my experience, over 50 years of riding air, air/oil, liquid cool motorcycles, ....THAT doesn't, or didn't gel, or sounded right"....

Folks...my ride today...rewarded my 'intelligent expectations, by over at least 6 times what I had HOPED FOR, to experience. Off the soapbox....but it has to be said....there is a conspiracy of sorts...my ride today made that clear... This bike, runs normal, and runs cool. You feel warmth, you do NOT feel HEAT! You feel no more engine warmth output than any air/oil cooled, inline four 750cc!

Cheers

Can't wait...and glad that I did NOT make the opinion of another, the Opinion that RULES THEM ALL.

And that includes my opinion, quite frankly. If you have ever thought of owning a traditional large bore, high torque at low maintained RPM...then go do yourself a favor....go out for a ride...(put the bike into summer or fall mode...) and see for yourself. Trust me on one thing, you won't be coming back smelling like Prime Rib...sorry, you'll still have to take your lovely co-rider out for dinner, to get that....

Joe

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ridden my Star Venture Transcontinental in temps as high as 92 degrees already and this bike did not cook me either. Do you feel heat, sure, but I have felt heat from every motorcycle I have ever owned including my liquid cooled GoldWing GL1500 which would cook your left foot and I mean literally cook your left foot. My Harley Rushmore TwinCool let off the same amount of heat this Star Venture does. I don't feel any difference between this Star Venture and my old Victory Cross Country Tour which was also an air/oil cooled engine.

Liquid cooled bikes still get hot, and when the cooling fan turns on for the radiator some bikes you get a blast of hot air worse than an air cooled engine.

I rode my Star Venture today to lunch and had no issue with engine heat.

So...?? What's the point your trying to make in your post book?? I don't see anything vindictive in the opinions expressed on this board about an air cooled twin putting off gobs of heat on a hot day. It's experience that's talking. First off 81° is a walk in the park temp wise. Remember it ain't even summer....yet.. Come on down to So.Texas, or Phoenix, or California during august on a 100°+ day and tell us how comfortable it rides. Also run that puppy against an inline for for any distance and 77hp low torque V2 ain't gonna get it when it comes to running with a high RPM inline 4 of any make. You might snap your neck for the first 25 yds, but after that it'll be no contest. Low RPM torque is what Y wanted for a touring bike, and that what they built. Unfortunately they named it a Venture much to the objection of all the existing V4 riders. If they had named it something else there wouldn't be nearly the backlash from the 1st and 2nd Gen faithfulls. Cr@p, it's a new concept...give it a new name... And just to be honest I stopped reading your post about half way through 'cause I got bored.. Ya just gotta lighten up and not be so sensitive....

So...?? What's the point your trying to make in your post book?? I don't see anything vindictive in the opinions expressed on this board about an air cooled twin putting off gobs of heat on a hot day. It's experience that's talking. First off 81° is a walk in the park temp wise. Remember it ain't even summer....yet.. Come on down to So.Texas, or Phoenix, or California during august on a 100°+ day and tell us how comfortable it rides. Also run that puppy against an inline for for any distance and 77hp low torque V2 ain't gonna get it when it comes to running with a high RPM inline 4 of any make. You might snap your neck for the first 25 yds, but after that it'll be no contest. Low RPM torque is what Y wanted for a touring bike, and that what they built. Unfortunately they named it a Venture much to the objection of all the existing V4 riders. If they had named it something else there wouldn't be nearly the backlash from the 1st and 2nd Gen faithfulls. Cr@p, it's a new concept...give it a new name... And just to be honest I stopped reading your post about half way through 'cause I got bored.. Ya just gotta lighten up and not be so sensitive....

I'm not one to be 'sensitive'...but I am one to see a trend, and call it B.S. when I through my own experience never...even felt anything CLOSE that some of these bloggers were cra**ing out, about cooking this...or GOBS of heat? Really...were we riding the same bike? I don't think so...

I have no fear...of Texas...or my own home state of Arizona...even in July, now..with this bike. If you don't feel 'heat', at 82F...there is nothing that is going to take you off the bike, even at 90-100F. I lived in Phoenix all my life...lived with a comfortable 105F all the time. The heat thing, is from what I see, total B.S.

My take, of course...and of course, yours might be of a different sort and take. I bought into it...I can't believe that I did...and never will again... Bloggers...yeah right...let's move on...

As for the torque...it was mind blowing..and linear, right up to the speed that I would have never seen the light of day....25 yards ROTFLMAO! Seriously? It was rock 'n roll right up to 100 MPH! Don't tell anybody that I went that fast...I have a rep to maintain....and about speed...this bike is not about that I can beat another to the red light. It was..about whipping around that semi....and having no fear...that you are going to peter out. THAT was the pull and speed that I was talking about...that which a Grand Tour team would want to see...and on this beast...see's in buckets!

...and oh...I didn't write that post for those that get bored...I wrote that for those that can hang in for commentary. So...no problem Some 'get bored' Some do not...the world rotates. Some of those posts were totally biased B.S., and 50 miles aboard that SVTC, agrees with that!

Ok..I feel better now.. :) and...I never stated people were vindictive...I stated that people might have a mandate and an agenda to dumb down this new Yamaha release...never said they were vindictive...only that the might have had 'reason's to post such. You don't have to be vindictive to do so...or hold an Agenda. Nope... :)

Cheers,

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

All big bikes produce a lot of heat no matter how they are cooled and that heat gets transferred to the air flowing by one way or the other. My 89 Venture is uncomfortable on a hot day and it is water cooled. My air cooled Kawasaki is not uncomfortable from engine heat, maybe because it is smaller. It still produces 74hp. My objection is related to concerns of engine longevity. If you are aware of the stop and go heat up potential with an air or an air/oil cooled bike and take precautions it shouldn't be a problem. I know a guy who put over 180k miles on his Harley by never riding it over 65 mph even when touring out west and taking good care of it. With a water cooled bike overheating in stop and go traffic isn't an issue because the fan prevents the engine from overheating in traffic. At my age 74, I don't intend to buy a new bike of any kind. I won't say absolutely not but there isn't much potential there to cause me to buy. So my opinion doesn't count! Rock On!

My last three bikes have been V-Twins, 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low and now this 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental and all three bikes are similar in the amount of heat you feel with none of them non ridable on hot days and down here in Southwest Florida we get some hot humid days.

My liquid cooled bike was a 1989 GoldWing GL1500 and it had its own issues with heat as it would cook your left foot from the heat radiating off the rear of the left cylinder head.

I'm not one to be 'sensitive'...but I am one to see a trend, and call it B.S. when I through my own experience never...even felt anything CLOSE that some of these bloggers were cra**ing out, on their 15 minute, walled-in ride.

I have no fear...of Texas...or my own home state of Arizona...even in July, now..with this bike. If you don't feel 'heat', at 82F...there is nothing that is going to take you off the bike, even at 90-100F. I lived in Phoenix all my life...lived with a comfortable 105F all the time. The heat thing, is from what I see, total B.S.

My take, of course...and of course, yours might be of a different sort and take. I bought into it...I can't believe that I did...and never will again... Bloggers...yeah right...let's move on...

As for the torque...it was mind blowing..and linear, right up to the speed that I would have never seen the light of day....25 yards ROTFLMAO! Seriously? It was rock 'n roll right up to 100 MPH! Don't tell anybody that I went that fast...I have a rep to maintain....

...and oh...I didn't write that post for those that get bored...I wrote that for those that can hang in for commentary. So...no problem Some 'get bored' Some do not...the world rotates. Some of those posts were totally biased B.S., and 50 miles aboard agrees with that! Ok..I feel better now.. :) and...I never stated people were vindictive...I stated that people might have a mandate and an agenda to dumb down this new Yamaha release...never said they were vindictive...only that the might have had 'reason's to post such. You don't have to be vindictive to do so...or hold an Agenda. Nope... :)

Cheers,

Glad you got to take one for a ride. I’ve said the heat was a non issue. I’ve said this was a dream bike. Now your most difficult part is waiting a couple days to get your hands on Charlotte when you KNOW first hand what your getting!

My last three bikes have been V-Twins, 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low and now this 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental and all three bikes are similar in the amount of heat you feel with none of them non ridable on hot days and down here in Southwest Florida we get some hot humid days.

My liquid cooled bike was a 1989 GoldWing GL1500 and it had its own issues with heat as it would cook your left foot from the heat radiating off the rear of the left cylinder head.

Mr. American...now that I have truly ridden this bike...and for an extended 'true' ride....I no longer fret about ANY state...in ANY month of tour. I did before this ride...thinking that I might not be able to ride in the Southwest home to visit family (Phoenix) in July. Now....pffffst! No problem....not one problem with 'holding a cookout'...what a crock! Many riders were put off in the couple of months after the reveal...and riding aboard with the Blogger Gurus... You could read that in their comments... "Jeez...thanks for posting that...I was looking in anticipation for this bike...but now...no way..if that kind of heat is there..." That poor sucker...dropping his excitement for this bike..and even to no longer wishing to ride the bike to form his own opinions. Poor slob...he lost out.

Joe, the now Cool and Happy Fret Free Camper...

All big bikes produce a lot of heat no matter how they are cooled and that heat gets transferred to the air flowing by one way or the other. My 89 Venture is uncomfortable on a hot day and it is water cooled. My air cooled Kawasaki is not uncomfortable from engine heat, maybe because it is smaller. It still produces 74hp. My objection is related to concerns of engine longevity. If you are aware of the stop and go heat up potential with an air or an air/oil cooled bike and take precautions it shouldn't be a problem. I know a guy who put over 180k miles on his Harley by never riding it over 65 mph even when touring out west and taking good care of it. With a water cooled bike overheating in stop and go traffic isn't an issue because the fan prevents the engine from overheating in traffic. At my age 74, I don't intend to buy a new bike of any kind. I won't say absolutely not but there isn't much potential there to cause me to buy. So my opinion doesn't count! Rock On!

I doubt longevity is going to be an issue, there is a guy who rode a Victory 250,000 miles and they are air/oil cooled, there was a women who has since passed on that rode her Victory over 100,000 miles again air/oil cooled engine.

Yamaha put a lot of technology into the engine to make sure it could withstand the environment, this is from the design of the new 113 engine in the Star Venture:

Engine

“We had a lot of discussion around engine type—liquid-cooled, oil-cooled, strictly air-cooled,” Brooks says. “But why develop a new system when we didn’t need it? Our basic air-cooled design was well proven.

It doesn’t overheat, it’s extremely durable, and heat dissipation is great with the ceramic-composite liners. Liquid-cooling just adds weight and complexity.”

I'm going to wait til it's summer to see what kind of reports come in on the V2's. So far every one who owns on is on the V2 band wagon and wouldn't be critical if their life depended on it.... So far all the 'opinions' I see are BS.....

Glad you got to take one for a ride. I’ve said the heat was a non issue. I’ve said this was a dream bike. Now your most difficult part is waiting a couple days to get your hands on Charlotte when you KNOW first hand what your getting!

Chief...I guess tonight, I'm yes...in a 'strong mood'...but I have seen...in over 50 miles of every type of rider operation...that there is no heat that would have you want to get off the bike. There is normal engine 'warmth'. If someone would call that 'gobs of heat climbing up on them,..' then I say...go grab your car. I bought into it...and even though I was getting one...I was already thinking that ok...home to see the folks, would be in late September...oh..because of possibly cooking heat...while in Phoenix...gobs of heat...that would blow me off the bike. Really?

Really....30 degrees F will not be any issue, if the base line for feeling NOTHING, is 82F.

I felt played...but no longer..I got it off my chest tonight in commentary...and now can move on,....see...I'm moving on...LOL

"Happy, happy!" Chief...there is no heat issue...and the bike is magnificent. C''mon, Tuesday!

Cheers!

Joe

I'm going to wait til it's summer to see what kind of reports come in on the V2's. So far every one who owns on is on the V2 band wagon and wouldn't be critical if their life depended on it.... So far all the 'opinions' I see are BS.....

Condor...I accept that. I even stated that please...EVERY RIDER ride for themselves...and even forget my opinions...I did say that... I just hope that some of the comments on those blogger channels that said.."Oh thanks...for your review...thank you...I dodged a bullet! "

Condor...after 50 miles of real life riding aboard the SVTC...I could barf, in reading those comments again...just barf.

I just hope that in reading my account of 50 miles covered, at stop, at crawl..at 80, at 35...that the reader might reassess any or all viewpoints..if he or she was very much influenced by those posts and reports of gobs of heat...cooking legs and thighs. Tonight...the reader got a different version...

Cheers,

Joe

I have ridden my Star Venture Transcontinental in temps as high as 92 degrees already and this bike did not cook me either. Do you feel heat, sure, but I have felt heat from every motorcycle I have ever owned including my liquid cooled GoldWing GL1500 which would cook your left foot and I mean literally cook your left foot. My Harley Rushmore TwinCool let off the same amount of heat this Star Venture does. I don't feel any difference between this Star Venture and my old Victory Cross Country Tour which was also an air/oil cooled engine.

Liquid cooled bikes still get hot, and when the cooling fan turns on for the radiator some bikes you get a blast of hot air worse than an air cooled engine.

I rode my Star Venture today to lunch and had no issue with engine heat.

American, TOTALLY agree. On the ride home...and MAN..was I amazed for I had something to compare...my 750 cc Kawa, was passing more warmth...to both my legs, than EVER did the SVTC. That simply amazed me...and spoke volumes...

Have I ever felt uncomfortable on the ZR7S? No sir! So...with even LESS 'felt' engine warmth....coming from the SVTC...Pfffft...THIS IS A CAKE WALK....even in the Southwest...even in JULY! I no longer am if you excuse the pun,...sweatin' Phoenix in July.... :)

You wanna know what the best part of it was...the dealer's bike was RED, baby...RED....

She was fully broken in...and I asked him, if I should ride it in any restricted manner...

His reply....RIP IT...and then debrief me...

I RIPPED it...and told him he has one H*LL of a ride, Sir!...

He said...Joe...you're preaching to the choir. Maybe I should be what my mother wanted me to be...enter the Seminary....lol. Before that though...I need to gargle with Listerine...for my Potty Mouth tonight..lol

Father Joe...it DOES have a sort of a ring...ya know? :)

I have just over 3k in the 5 weeks I've had mine. I've always used a bike as primary means of transportation as well as recreation. Unless there is snow or ice on the roads, I'm riding. My daily ride to work from Maryland into Washington DC is considered one of the worst commutes in the country.

The 3rd gen runs hotter than my 2nd gen. Left leg can get warm in the roll forward 10 feet then stop crap. Jeans help shield the heat, but in dress pants it does sometimes border on being too hot.

So far I've never given heat a second thought any time outside of the DC rush hour nightmare.

Bottom line, this is hands down the nicest riding machine I've ever experienced. No regrets at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Virtually all world class bikes sold in North America in recent history have been properly liquid cooled, with one notable German exception that comes to mind. Yamaha is among those considered a world class mfr. Liquid cooling comes with a whole host of pros and VERY few cons, but among those cons are weight and cost of manufacturing. Two things Yamaha could absolutely NOT add to the gen3 is more weight or in reased MSRP/decreased profit margin. I do believe its really simple. Those of us put off by the air cooling were not in Yamaha's demographic for the Venture anyway. I just hope heads and jug kits are cost effective for the guys that like to pile on the miles. Edit: I should clarify that last sentence, it sounded cynical and dickish but was not meant as such. I cant usually put smileys in my posts with the phone. What I meant was that based on experience with other popular air cooled narrow angle twins, I would speculate longevity and durability to be somewhere between HD and previous generations of Venture. I have no doubt that the gen3 twin will outlast an HD twin and probably with superior reliability, and that heat management is very good with regard to rider comfort. I only meant that it would be very reasonable to expect 100k to come after a valve job and maybe slugs-n-jugs, especially for a spirited rider.

Edited by CaseyJ955

Joe (YamahaParExcellence) - there are four things that will get you in trouble on this site. Stating your opinion will not get you in trouble.

The four dirty things are - making a personal attack on another member; or discussing guns, politics, or religion.

Two of the three motorcycles I have owned have been Yamahas - '81 Kawasaki KZ350, '99 Yamaha Virago 1100SE, and the '09 Venture. Two air cooled, one liquid cooled.

Combined between the three bikes I've ridden over 200,000km, in temperatures as low as 25F to as high as 110F.

I'm glad you liked the SVCT and I know you can't wait until you get yours. Yamaha builds a solid bike and I'll admit I think it looks like a great bike, one of the best that Yamaha has ever produced. If I didn't already have my 2nd Gen it would be at the top of my list.

As for people commenting on the heat issue (?)....time will tell. It is an oil/air cooled V-twin. Does it produce heat? Yes. Did Yamaha provide a means of cooling it? Yes, with the added oil cooling and the venting. Is the heat extreme? Compared to any other V-twin it probably produces no more than they other V-twins do, possibly less.

I'm not saying that you are right or wrong about not having an issue with heat. Other people have said they had a problem with the heat. This is their opinion and I wouldn't say that they were bashing the SVCT. They said they felt heat and they probably did. You didn't feel it was an issue. This is YOUR opinion and I don't doubt your opinion. I don't doubt the opinion of those that said they felt it ran too hot. I'm not going to take your opinion as gospel just as I won't take it as gospel when someone says it ran too hot in +90F. Only way I would form an opinion is to ride one as you did for an extended period of time and form my own opinion. If I did ride one and stated my opinion it would not be "bashing" the bike if I felt it ran hot. It would just be my opinion.

I suggested earlier that what I would listen to though is if someone took a temperature reading of the SVCT and a 2nd Gen that ran the same route, on the same day, at the same time and compare temperature readings from different points on the bike. People have said that the upper left is hot....I'd like to see the scientific proof. Compare readings and that will tell if the SVTC runs hotter or not. Whether it is a normal temperature for a V-twin or "unbearable" would be up to each rider. I like hot coffee....to some the temperature I like is too hot, to others too cold. Each person has to determine there own opinion.

I think the SVCT is a great bike. Lot of bells and whistles on it that I wish my 2nd Gen had. Would they make me want to trade in my 2nd Gen for the 3rd Gen? Tempting, very close call, but I'd say no. If I still had my Virago the answer would be a definite yes (because the Virago was a cruiser and I would want a touring bike).

Sorry for the long post by the way....

I was one of those that disliked that the 3rd Gen came out as a V-twin with belt drive. I was one of those that wanted to see it as a V4 with shaft drive. Had they done that, "upgrading" would have been of interest. I am not "bashing" the SVCT though. It is a great touring bike and definitely comparable to other V-twin touring bikes and comes out on top. Had they come out with a V4 then there would be no comparison to any other V-twin on the market and the leader, possibly above or 2nd only to the Gold Wing.

Easy part first - belt vs shaft. Yes there are benefits to the belt drive but also down sides. For the shaft drive, same thing with pros (low maintenance) and cons (power loss to the rear wheel). For me, my personal opinion, I prefer the shaft drive because of the low maintenance. On a long tour, it is pretty much bullet proof. Belt drive...maybe material are better now than a few years ago, maybe they protected it better in the SVCT....but to me (my opinion) a touring bike would be better with a shaft drive. Others can and would disagree with my OPINION.

On the V4 vs V-twin. Time will tell but just as a comment....you mentioned examples of people getting 250,000 miles on a V-twin. But I've heard of examples of V4's getting over 400,000 miles. You didn't provide examples of V-twins getting that many miles on them. And then as most of long distance riders do, we either weigh the bike down with gear or pull a trailer behind our bikes on long trips over several weeks. Will a V-twin provide the longevity pulling a 300lb trailer behind it year after year for thousands of miles? I have no doubts about my 2nd Gen surviving years doing this.

I've made the comparison before of a V8 car and a V6 or 4 cylinder. There is no comparison of what more cylinders provides in the same model of vehicle. Does this apply to motorcycles? Debatable, and with the torque differences some could argue one way or another. But given a choice of the same car with either a V8 or a V6....I'd go with the extra two cylinders.

Bottom line..... your opinion that there is no heat issue is your opinion. Someone else that complains of heat, well, that is their opinion. Should Yamaha used the V4 in the new Venture, MY opinion is yes. Other people agree or disagree but that is THEIR opinion.

Either way, you will be very happy with your SVCT and I am eager to see it in person and continue to hear your opinions on the bike. May you have many safe riding miles on Charlotte.

To all the SVCT owners that are members on VentureRider I am glad you are here and part of the family of Venture riders. Whether it is a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen Venture or another brand of motorcycle, your input and opinions are welcome. Just don't get into one of the four areas I mentioned at the beginning.

Joe (YamahaParExcellence) - there are four things that will get you in trouble on this site. Stating your opinion will not get you in trouble.

The four dirty things are - making a personal attack on another member; or discussing guns, politics, or religion.

Two of the three motorcycles I have owned have been Yamahas - '81 Kawasaki KZ350, '99 Yamaha Virago 1100SE, and the '09 Venture. Two air cooled, one liquid cooled.

Combined between the three bikes I've ridden over 200,000km, in temperatures as low as 25F to as high as 110F.

I'm glad you liked the SVCT and I know you can't wait until you get yours. Yamaha builds a solid bike and I'll admit I think it looks like a great bike, one of the best that Yamaha has ever produced. If I didn't already have my 2nd Gen it would be at the top of my list.

As for people commenting on the heat issue (?)....time will tell. It is an oil/air cooled V-twin. Does it produce heat? Yes. Did Yamaha provide a means of cooling it? Yes, with the added oil cooling and the venting. Is the heat extreme? Compared to any other V-twin it probably produces no more than they other V-twins do, possibly less.

I'm not saying that you are right or wrong about not having an issue with heat. Other people have said they had a problem with the heat. This is their opinion and I wouldn't say that they were bashing the SVCT. They said they felt heat and they probably did. You didn't feel it was an issue. This is YOUR opinion and I don't doubt your opinion. I don't doubt the opinion of those that said they felt it ran too hot. I'm not going to take your opinion as gospel just as I won't take it as gospel when someone says it ran too hot in +90F. Only way I would form an opinion is to ride one as you did for an extended period of time and form my own opinion. If I did ride one and stated my opinion it would not be "bashing" the bike if I felt it ran hot. It would just be my opinion.

I suggested earlier that what I would listen to though is if someone took a temperature reading of the SVCT and a 2nd Gen that ran the same route, on the same day, at the same time and compare temperature readings from different points on the bike. People have said that the upper left is hot....I'd like to see the scientific proof. Compare readings and that will tell if the SVTC runs hotter or not. Whether it is a normal temperature for a V-twin or "unbearable" would be up to each rider. I like hot coffee....to some the temperature I like is too hot, to others too cold. Each person has to determine there own opinion.

I think the SVCT is a great bike. Lot of bells and whistles on it that I wish my 2nd Gen had. Would they make me want to trade in my 2nd Gen for the 3rd Gen? Tempting, very close call, but I'd say no. If I still had my Virago the answer would be a definite yes (because the Virago was a cruiser and I would want a touring bike).

Sorry for the long post by the way....

I was one of those that disliked that the 3rd Gen came out as a V-twin with belt drive. I was one of those that wanted to see it as a V4 with shaft drive. Had they done that, "upgrading" would have been of interest. I am not "bashing" the SVCT though. It is a great touring bike and definitely comparable to other V-twin touring bikes and comes out on top. Had they come out with a V4 then there would be no comparison to any other V-twin on the market and the leader, possibly above or 2nd only to the Gold Wing.

Easy part first - belt vs shaft. Yes there are benefits to the belt drive but also down sides. For the shaft drive, same thing with pros (low maintenance) and cons (power loss to the rear wheel). For me, my personal opinion, I prefer the shaft drive because of the low maintenance. On a long tour, it is pretty much bullet proof. Belt drive...maybe material are better now than a few years ago, maybe they protected it better in the SVCT....but to me (my opinion) a touring bike would be better with a shaft drive. Others can and would disagree with my OPINION.

On the V4 vs V-twin. Time will tell but just as a comment....you mentioned examples of people getting 250,000 miles on a V-twin. But I've heard of examples of V4's getting over 400,000 miles. You didn't provide examples of V-twins getting that many miles on them. And then as most of long distance riders do, we either weigh the bike down with gear or pull a trailer behind our bikes on long trips over several weeks. Will a V-twin provide the longevity pulling a 300lb trailer behind it year after year for thousands of miles? I have no doubts about my 2nd Gen surviving years doing this.

I've made the comparison before of a V8 car and a V6 or 4 cylinder. There is no comparison of what more cylinders provides in the same model of vehicle. Does this apply to motorcycles? Debatable, and with the torque differences some could argue one way or another. But given a choice of the same car with either a V8 or a V6....I'd go with the extra two cylinders.

Bottom line..... your opinion that there is no heat issue is your opinion. Someone else that complains of heat, well, that is their opinion. Should Yamaha used the V4 in the new Venture, MY opinion is yes. Other people agree or disagree but that is THEIR opinion.

Either way, you will be very happy with your SVCT and I am eager to see it in person and continue to hear your opinions on the bike. May you have many safe riding miles on Charlotte.

To all the SVCT owners that are members on VentureRider I am glad you are here and part of the family of Venture riders. Whether it is a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen Venture or another brand of motorcycle, your input and opinions are welcome. Just don't get into one of the four areas I mentioned at the beginning.

Noted Don, ...and agree! :) After my one get-it-off-my-chest-post...there actually won't be any more...lol. Just myself and my gal, enjoying our ride..but only also in the hope that anybody that has an interest, a true interest in perhaps owning this model...that they don't fall to the wayside, ONLY because 'I about cooked my cookies...' is what they read...or saw a live blogger state, while riding the bike...and then just walks away with no further interest, ONLY because they drank his or her critique Koolaid. That's all...in my post...I said to forget their comments, I said to forget my comments...and do your own Due Diligence. Let that be what finally says yeah, or nay, Don. Ok...back to the regular scheduled channel...lol. I rode the bike, I experienced a totally different dialog and outtake...and posed that in counterpoint. But no more...one doesn't have to belabor to death, a topic. :) Cheers! Oh..about being banned for stating my opinion, I knew I would not be...it was just my quirky sense of humor shining through sometimes...only that. I know that my post didn't attack anyone personally. That would be so uncool and classless.

BTW, no apologies for your length of engagement...it was great...detailed, valid...and a good read. I thoroughly enjoyed to the very end!

Joe

Joe - you still up at 2:39am? Can't sleep in anticipation of getting your new ride? Don't blame you !

Mia Culpa...just doing some work...cleaning up stuff...STILL whipping around YouTube...Don...I've become a SVTC Junkie....

....the only rehab...is riding one....and not talking about it, LOL

Hopeless, huh?

Good morning!

BTW...I rethought my post...and you're welcome to re-read...cheers!

Ahhhhh ohhhh,,, I never ever ever knew we were not suppose to discuss guns in the forums.. @Freebird ?

If this is true,,, the club has my apologies for openly violating that rule!!

Puc