IGNORED

Getting ready to spoon another another rear tire,, Shinko 777?

cowpuc

Gotta spoon another tire before,, Lord willing and the creek over at Orlins that stands betweens us and Minnesota dont rise, hitting the trail to Sturgis.. I REALLY like these Shinko 230's that @videoarizona turned us all onto = great tires and I just wore out my second one.. Started the season back in June with a new Kenda pre-Americade and now having thoughts of testing out one of the Shinko 777's as also mentioned by Vaz just for giggles.. Just jumped on Ebay,, as with the 230's I purchased on there = no load rating stated.. The 230's are 77 rated and speed rated to to 149 (V). I noticed the 777's have the lower speed rating of 130 mph (H) as most of the tires for our 1st Gens are.. Not a problem at all except I am wondering if they have lower load rating too? Anyone spooned on the 777 yet,, David?

Thanks ya bunch a lop eared varmints - in advance..

Puc

Here's what I am seeing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140-90-16-4-Ply-Shinko-777-Rear-Tire-/371607213645?epid=214767670&hash=item568584164d:g:p0MAAOSwYIxX2dNd&vxp=mtr

Gotta spoon another tire before,, Lord willing and the creek over at Orlins that stands betweens us and Minnesota dont rise, hitting the trail to Sturgis.. I REALLY like these Shinko 230's that @videoarizona turned us all onto = great tires and I just wore out my second one.. Started the season back in June with a new Kenda pre-Americade and now having thoughts of testing out one of the Shinko 777's as also mentioned by Vaz just for giggles.. Just jumped on Ebay,, as with the 230's I purchased on there = no load rating stated.. The 230's are 77 rated and speed rated to to 149 (V). I noticed the 777's have the lower speed rating of 130 mph (H) as most of the tires for our 1st Gens are.. Not a problem at all except I am wondering if they have lower load rating too? Anyone spooned on the 777 yet,, David?

Puc

Here's what I am seeing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140-90-16-4-Ply-Shinko-777-Rear-Tire-/371607213645?epid=214767670&hash=item568584164d:g:p0MAAOSwYIxX2dNd&vxp=mtr

How many miles did you get out of the 230's?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Back in 2012 I ran some 230's on my 06 RSTD and got only 5400 miles out of the rear tire. Most of them were riding 2 up. Sometime after that I went to the dark side and had over 18000 miles on that tire ($50) that still looked new when I sold the bike. I've moved away from the dark side with my "new" 2012 RSV but who knows when I might go back...

I may have to look into these Shinkos as a lower cost option, I have never actually managed to wear out an E3, they always die of old age first, The E3 tires I have on the bike now have 16K miles on them and still have about 50% thread but they are now 6 years old. They were a couple of years old when I got them.

But then my riding is only solo with a bunch of stuff packed in the luggage.

Ya know what? It's probably a miracle that during all the years of myself and my bride riding our wonderful machine across a large portion of our nation, that we haven't had a catastrophic tire issue along the way somewhere. The reason being is; I have never truly learned all of the tire load rating jargon and what exactly it means as it pertains to how much weight we can put on the bike.

I am a fanatic about checking tire pressures before each ride, and also doing tire checks to make sure there isn't a crack, or dry rot, or a missing chunk in the rubber. I do this before each ride. and when we are on multi-day trips, I do it every morning at the hotel to ensure our safety. Furthermore, I never run the tire down to the wear bars. I am a fraidy cat enough that i usually buy new tires well before the worn out stage. I usually buy tires that you guys on the site here recommend, or someone I know locally who has as heavy a bike as I do recommends. So, I've never really studied the load rating stuff and what that truly means.

When you see a load rating of 77, or 82, or something like that, what exactly does that mean? And when you see a max load of 908lb's, or 1074lb's, or something like that, what does that mean? Does it mean it's talking about the total weight of the bike and it's contents, or does it mean just the weight over that particular front or rear tire? Because if it means the weight of the whole bike, it's contents, and the rider/passengers, I can tell ya right now, We've been grossly over weight for 10 years on this bike. I am 280-290lbs, my wife is 130lbs, and the weight of all the stuff we pack in our saddlebags and t-bag is a lot. So, I'm fairly confident that counting the total weight of the bike, and all of the other stuff including us, we're rolling down the highway at 1400-1500lbs.

Having said that, I would assume there are a lot of folks in our situation. So, please, some of you big heads (one with great knowledge) out there, feel free to enlighten me, before I get me and my beautiful she partner hurt, or worse.

Thanks,

Big Lenny

I put a 777 on the front of my trike about 2 months ago and have put about 3k on it. It seems to be wearing well,and drives good on the front of the trike. I know a trike is a whole different critter than a bike ,but I definitely would do it again. Plus the price is very good! Good luck with your decision!

Having said that, I would assume there are a lot of folks in our situation. So, please, some of you big heads (one with great knowledge) out there, feel free to enlighten me, before I get me and my beautiful she partner hurt, or worse.

Thanks,

Big Lenny

BigLenny. You are over GVWR (Gross vehicle weight rating). GVWR is the total weight of the bike, you, and everything else on it. Most everybody is over GVWR. The manufacturers only allow about 400lbs of weight.

Look at the tire chart I sent to cowpuc in an earlier post. A tire rated @# versus a tire rated a different @# means it will carry more or less weight at maximum capacity at maximum speed rating. In your case, for your bike, if you run a 130/90-16front and a 150/90-15rear in a Shinko777 the combined load carrying capacity of these tires is about 1800lbs. This capacity far exceeds the GVWR of your bike, and even exceeds the actual weight of the bike with you & the wife and luggage, so tires will definitely NOT be your problem area.

I think that since everybody runs over-weight, or drags a trailer, we just do the best we can to manage the weight we have. Running good heavy-weight rated tires is the first step. Then, try not to drive 130mph, fully loaded, with your wife on the back, would be the second step. After that, bearing & axle inspection should occour on a regular basis, as well as brake inspection. You are just trying to mechanically catch anything that could happen before it does.

The problem is that when you load up the bike the weight of the passenger and cargo is almost 100% on the rear wheel. It is possible to exceed the weight rating of the rear tire while not adding much if any weight to the front tire.

And if you load like Cowpuc with weight hanging way off the back you are actually reducing weight on the front tire while adding that weight in addition to the actual weight to the rear tire.

I have not been able to find the individual axle ratings to know where we are starting from.

BigLenny. You are over GVWR (Gross vehicle weight rating). GVWR is the total weight of the bike, you, and everything else on it. Most everybody is over GVWR. The manufacturers only allow about 400lbs of weight.

Look at the tire chart I sent to cowpuc in an earlier post. A tire rated @# versus a tire rated a different @# means it will carry more or less weight at maximum capacity at maximum speed rating. In your case, for your bike, if you run a 130/90-16front and a 150/90-15rear in a Shinko777 the combined load carrying capacity of these tires is about 1800lbs. This capacity far exceeds the GVWR of your bike, and even exceeds the actual weight of the bike with you & the wife and luggage, so tires will definitely NOT be your problem area.

I think that since everybody runs over-weight, or drags a trailer, we just do the best we can to manage the weight we have. Running good heavy-weight rated tires is the first step. Then, try not to drive 130mph, fully loaded, with your wife on the back, would be the second step. After that, bearing & axle inspection should occour on a regular basis, as well as brake inspection. You are just trying to mechanically catch anything that could happen before it does.

Thanks Du-Ron.

I usually keep the 130mph fully loaded down to only one time per trip. LOL. I inspect the brakes regularly, but I only look at the bearings and axles when I take the wheels off to put new tires on them. I need to step that up.

The problem is that when you load up the bike the weight of the passenger and cargo is almost 100% on the rear wheel. It is possible to exceed the weight rating of the rear tire while not adding much if any weight to the front tire.

And if you load like Cowpuc with weight hanging way off the back you are actually reducing weight on the front tire while adding that weight in addition to the actual weight to the rear tire.

I have not been able to find the individual axle ratings to know where we are starting from.

Flyinfool, with my big happy a$$ alone, I'm pretty sure I'm pushing the land limit on the rear axle. LOL.

We've started to use the 777 as a substitute for the Bridgestone Exedra in those odd sizes the Vulcan uses and on some HD motorcycles. So far been getting good feedback, but too early to know how long they'll last.

When you see a load rating of 77, or 82, or something like that, what exactly does that mean?

Lots of good info about load index and speed ratings HERE.

Gotta spoon another tire before,, Lord willing and the creek over at Orlins that stands betweens us and Minnesota dont rise, hitting the trail to Sturgis.. I REALLY like these Shinko 230's that videoarizona turned us all onto = great tires and I just wore out my second one.. Started the season back in June with a new Kenda pre-Americade and now having thoughts of testing out one of the Shinko 777's as also mentioned by Vaz just for giggles.. Just jumped on Ebay,, as with the 230's I purchased on there = no load rating stated.. The 230's are 77 rated and speed rated to to 149 (V). I noticed the 777's have the lower speed rating of 130 mph (H) as most of the tires for our 1st Gens are.. Not a problem at all except I am wondering if they have lower load rating too? Anyone spooned on the 777 yet,, David?

Puc

Here's what I am seeing

Sorry Scott. I've been up in Phoenix and forgot my tablet so couldn't get mail. Glad others have chimed in. The load rating on the 777HD is superior to whatever we need on our scoots.

4 to 5 thousand BUT under what some would consider extreme conditions Star.. We do a fair amount of high speed open desert touring combined with mountain riding in temps ranging from 120 to 40 degrees. Most of it in the higher end, hot tarmac stuff. The ride we just finished was criss crossing America from Michigan to California = both ways between 4 n 5 thousand miles and burned the rear out both ways with about a thousand left in it (1/8th inch of tread) for safe keeping. This is NORMAL for our western tours as far as wear goes.

Something I REALLY like about the Shink is it seemed to hold tread all the way out to end with no = POOF,, the last 25 % just disappears with NO sign of delam. Also REALLY good rain and mountain twisty trackin tire.. All day at +90 in the heat = no problembo. Held balance extremely well (earlier tried a Kenda - had problems with this). Highest mileage tire I have ran to date is Michillen Commander 2 = 6 thousand on same run under similar conditions. Have ran everything from Dunlops, Avons, Full Bores ect and all fall under 6. Dunlop 404 THE WORST - couldnt even get 4 out of em - had to swap half way across Utah - NOT GOOD cause it left me at the mercy of the Dealerships out there and they are not shy about double charging for tires (one wanted 2 hundred bucks for another 404 - I paid well under 100 for it when I spooned it on back home.. Truly - my favorite tire of all time was the Elite 2's.. Had a dealership back in the day and could get em CHEAP - good tire!!

Back in 2012 I ran some 230's on my 06 RSTD and got only 5400 miles out of the rear tire. Most of them were riding 2 up. Sometime after that I went to the dark side and had over 18000 miles on that tire ($50) that still looked new when I sold the bike. I've moved away from the dark side with my "new" 2012 RSV but who knows when I might go back...

What darkside replaces the 140/90-16? Would LOVE to try one!!

Sorry Scott. I've been up in Phoenix and forgot my tablet so couldn't get mail. Glad others have chimed in. The load rating on the 777HD is superior to whatever we need on our scoots.

ABSOPOSITIVELYUNDENIABLY NO PROBLEMBO BROTHER!! Got all the info I needed from this group of lop eared gear headed varmints,, as always,, someones always covering someones back around here:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon: Thanks for jumping here though my friend!!

Hey David,, long as I done got your attention,, I decided to just go back to the 230 for this next round.. Looking carefully at the tread pattern (yea,, I know,,, getting wayyy to picky in my old narly age) on the 777's, reminded me of the abnormal, non consistent tread pattern on a set of Avon Venoms I not to long ago wore off.. That off beat pattern ended up wearing funny at the end of tire life and got strangely noisy and viberaty at the end.. You ever notice how these 230's dont even have the typical roughness in ride that cha might get out of other tires as they square off and you corner with em? Well,, that Avon had something similar to that happening but it was more pronounced in an odd way - I am convinced after removing and examining the tire that this was totally due to the inconsistent tread pattern.. I also checked the PDF posted for that HD and according to that - the load limit was less then on the 230 - may or may not have been a typo in the PDF but, due to the tread pattern I didnt care for - I just went back and ordered another cheaper 230..

THANK YOU again for turning me on to the 230's and giving the :thumbsup: on them - DEFINITELY a worthy piece brother!! I BEAT the living day lights,, I mean I sort of mistreated this last one on the way home from California with some REAL off roading AND some of that real sharp fresh tar n chip HOT tarmac for MILES across Nevada out running some Oil Well fires out there - HIGH SPEED stuff included.. Was expecting for it to have been down to the bone as we pulled in with just under 4600 miles BUT - NO WAY - tire looked GREAT = no slicey - no dicey!!

May try some ceramic beads on this next one I just ordered from Chaparall off ebay for another 76 bucks.. Got the beads already - may as well pull the weights and give em a fair shot..

What say you?

You get some riding in in Phoenix? Go up to Jerome?? Holding out on the pics? Ya better not be ya lop eared hot weather born on the sun varmint:225:

THANK YOU again for turning me on to the 230's and giving the :thumbsup: on them - DEFINITELY a worthy piece brother!! I BEAT the living day lights,, I mean I sort of mistreated this last one on the way home from California with some REAL off roading AND some of that real sharp fresh tar n chip HOT tarmac for MILES across Nevada out running some Oil Well fires out there - HIGH SPEED stuff included.. Was expecting for it to have been down to the bone as we pulled in with just under 4600 miles BUT - NO WAY - tire looked GREAT = no slicey - no dicey!!

May try some ceramic beads on this next one I just ordered from Chaparall off ebay for another 76 bucks.. Got the beads already - may as well pull the weights and give em a fair shot..

What say you?

You get some riding in in Phoenix? Go up to Jerome?? Holding out on the pics? Ya better not be ya lop eared hot weather born on the sun varmint:225:

Welcome...

Nope..never tried beads. Guess I'm a bit old fashioned there. Like the weights, don't mind the looks.

LOL! Nope. Haven't been out for over a week. Back and forth with the truck to Tucson and Phoenix. Got youngest into her first house(really don't like moving) now just getting back into our lives. Only home in Green Valley today, go back to Phoenix tomorrow. When I come back down here next week, want to order the gaskets for the 89 to take off the left side covers, check out the clutch slave, eyeball the stator and goop up the wires coming out of stator. Plus, want to put the Shinko 777HD's on the 05RSV. I'm tired of the Pirelli's on there...they are to sensitive to the tar strips and stuff on the roads. So, I'm kind of in my maintenance mode (like youse guys do in the Winter). Trying to decide whether to trust someone else again with the RSV wheels as one dealer warped my right front rotor last time. Don't want a repeat of that....Of course, don't have much choice for getting tires mounted. And no...don't think I want to do that myself. Getting a bit tired of heavy duty stuff. Easy stuff is still fun...breaking beads isn't anymore!

The tread pattern on the 777HD's did bother me at first, but right now, the rear tire I put on the 09 VStar 950T rides so very nicely! No wiggles, nothing...just a smooth ride.

So I can't tell ya if they will be a problem with age. The 230's sure don't have that problem.

I guess I'm curious where you got the info on the load capacity of the 777HD's? They are same or higher rated than the 230's... The rear 777HD for the RSV has a load rating of 80. The 777HD for the 89 has a load rating of 77. Same as the 230 for the 89VR rear. Got the info here....

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/777

Regardless....I'll get riding again once I get my maintenance done. Now just have to figure out the gaskets for the left side on the RSV, get them ordered and get my fingies ready for some grease! Yea!

Welcome...

Nope..never tried beads. Guess I'm a bit old fashioned there. Like the weights, don't mind the looks.

LOL! Nope. Haven't been out for over a week. Back and forth with the truck to Tucson and Phoenix. Got youngest into her first house(really don't like moving) now just getting back into our lives. Only home in Green Valley today, go back to Phoenix tomorrow. When I come back down here next week, want to order the gaskets for the 89 to take off the left side covers, check out the clutch slave, eyeball the stator and goop up the wires coming out of stator. Plus, want to put the Shinko 777HD's on the 05RSV. I'm tired of the Pirelli's on there...they are to sensitive to the tar strips and stuff on the roads. So, I'm kind of in my maintenance mode (like youse guys do in the Winter). Trying to decide whether to trust someone else again with the RSV wheels as one dealer warped my right front rotor last time. Don't want a repeat of that....Of course, don't have much choice for getting tires mounted. And no...don't think I want to do that myself. Getting a bit tired of heavy duty stuff. Easy stuff is still fun...breaking beads isn't anymore!

The tread pattern on the 777HD's did bother me at first, but right now, the rear tire I put on the 09 VStar 950T rides so very nicely! No wiggles, nothing...just a smooth ride.

So I can't tell ya if they will be a problem with age. The 230's sure don't have that problem.

I guess I'm curious where you got the info on the load capacity of the 777HD's? They are same or higher rated than the 230's... The rear 777HD for the RSV has a load rating of 80. The 777HD for the 89 has a load rating of 77. Same as the 230 for the 89VR rear. Got the info here....

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/777

Regardless....I'll get riding again once I get my maintenance done. Now just have to figure out the gaskets for the left side on the RSV, get them ordered and get my fingies ready for some grease! Yea!

Dont care much for moving my own self - GOOD ON YA BROTHER FOR HELPING DA KID!! I'd have done it too - family first and all that!!

Got that load info from the PDF posted earlier in the thread.. Tire I was looking at was http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shinko-777-HD-Rear-Motorcycle-Tires-140-90-16-/222402604645?epid=214767670&hash=item33c83a6e65:g:qE4AAOSwTglYmo~k&vxp=mtr

with a part number of 4596...

Yahhh,, I feel EXACTLY the same way about the balancing beads,, wouldnt even think of trusting em cause I been successfully balancing my own for years BUT I gotta buddy who SWEARS by these bead things.. Cost me 15 bucks for 10 ounces of the goofy things - gonna dump in the required 2 oz's into this new Shink thats comin and if this turns into snake oil - gonna go down to my buddies house and release the rest of those little ceramic gritters onto his Harley Only parking garage floor and watch em spread out like snake oil down yonder :big-grin-emoticon:,,,, what are friends for :missingtooth::mugshot::big-grin-emoticon:... Nahhh,, he's a really good fellow gear head who is a BLAST to hang out with!! Will let cha know how it all pans...:thumbsup:

Yep...that's the proper tire the 777HD.

If the 2 oz's doesn't work, add more. The Yamaha dealer tried to balance the RSV front tire with beads...I took it back twice. Last time he put the weights on. Found out later on this forum, they didn't put enough in for that fat 150 size tire!!

If the 2 oz's doesn't work, add more. The Yamaha dealer tried to balance the RSV front tire with beads...I took it back twice. Last time he put the weights on. Found out later on this forum, they didn't put enough in for that fat 150 size tire!!

It all depends on far out of balance the tire is. Some tires will require more than others.

I just spooned on a Shinko 777HD on my BMW K1200lt "FiFi" last night.......Because the Beemer is a "heavy lady which goes fast" she requires a 79V rated Tire size 160/70 17. 79V (79 = 963 lbs and V = up to 149 mph)

The Shinko is rated to handle it and the BMW guys have given them good reviews from what I have researched. Because of the relatively rare tire size and weight rating requirement my options for tires are limited for that bike and as a result are pretty expensive compared to our Venture tires, so it is really nice to have an economic alternative in the Shinko 777HD. Just wish they made a 777 in the size for the front of the Beemer too 120/70 17.....oh well maybe some day.

I personally had beads in my last set of tires on Walt (1986 Venture) and really did not like them as I still had balance issues at both really slow and really high speeds (probably not enough beads like videoarizona mentioned). I personally have moved away from lead weights and beads to using the product called "Ride on" which serves the purpose of balancing but also gives you the added protection of a sealant for punctures too. Only problem is that it is kinda expensive especially if you go through tires quickly like Mr. Cowpuc does (Ride On is not reusable between multiple tires compared to beads). Works for me as tires usually die of old age on my bikes rather than from miles, so it is worth the investment to me.

Long story short, it is so nice to not have to take a tire into a shop for a change......I feel liberated and my wallet is thicker because of it too.

Here is some info if you are interested:

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 9.46.13 PM.png

I just spooned on a Shinko 777HD on my BMW K1200lt "FiFi" last night.......Because the Beemer is a "heavy lady which goes fast" she requires a 79V rated Tire size 160/70 17. 79V (79 = 963 lbs and V = up to 149 mph)

The Shinko is rated to handle it and the BMW guys have given them good reviews from what I have researched. Because of the relatively rare tire size and weight rating requirement my options for tires are limited for that bike and as a result are pretty expensive compared to our Venture tires, so it is really nice to have an economic alternative in the Shinko 777HD. Just wish they made a 777 in the size for the front of the Beemer too 120/70 17.....oh well maybe some day.

I personally had beads in my last set of tires on Walt (1986 Venture) and really did not like them as I still had balance issues at both really slow and really high speeds (probably not enough beads like videoarizona mentioned). I personally have moved away from lead weights and beads to using the product called "Ride on" which serves the purpose of balancing but also gives you the added protection of a sealant for punctures too. Only problem is that it is kinda expensive especially if you go through tires quickly like Mr. Cowpuc does (Ride On is not reusable between multiple tires compared to beads). Works for me as tires usually die of old age on my bikes rather than from miles, so it is worth the investment to me.

Long story short, it is so nice to not have to take a tire into a shop for a change......I feel liberated and my wallet is thicker because of it too.

Here is some info if you are interested:

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109862

Good on ya and ROCK N ROLL on getting your hands grubby on doing your own tires Riv - besides saving the bucks like we both love doing, hope you KNOW that is ol school cool right??

Found out on this last trip west that the Cancer bug took a lot more from me than I may have anticipated.. Used to be I could snap a bead loose with clamps and my 16 inch channel locks quicker then quick - seems I lost some upper body strength to go with those body pieces and parts they kept.. Oh well,, back to the creative drawing board..

I got one of those little HF bead breakers I use here at home.. Thinking of figuring out a way to bolt it on, even if its in pieces - to my scoot.. Another thought is to fab up something even smaller out of existing bike parts.. Ever heard of anyone selling such a contraption? I was still able to use my bike tie downs and the tree in her front yard to hang and balance my new tire out there - no problem lifting the tire up and all that - just that stupid bead breaking routine...

Thoughts if any?

Hey cowpuc I hear you brother! You make it look so easy in your video tutorial on changing tires, but I have to admit I was "sweating to the oldies" last night in the garage wrestling with getting the old hard dried out rubber off the rims.....even with your "bug" and "missing body pieces" you probably can still work circles around me Puc! My hands are soft like butter from too many years behind a desk.

As for finding an easy and portable bead breaker I actually have been looking into the same topic as well and have found an interesting tool that would probably fit in your travel sack of tools.....it is called the BeadBuster XB-450. The design looks pretty simple, so simple that I've been thinking of attempting to make my own version. Here is link to a youtube video showing it in action. Sure beats pushing, prying, and using human brute force to break the bead when a simple locking screw mechanism can do the same thing in a small package. Basically the same clamp concept but better. What do you think, could that work for you?

Their website:

https://beadbuster.com

Link to Amazon.....the economical $99 model:

https://www.amazon.com/BeadBuster-XB-455-Motorcycle-Tire-Breaker/dp/B00X4J75OI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1501133597&sr=1-1&keywords=bead+buster+xb-455

Video of it in action:

Good on ya and ROCK N ROLL on getting your hands grubby on doing your own tires Riv - besides saving the bucks like we both love doing, hope you KNOW that is ol school cool right??

Found out on this last trip west that the Cancer bug took a lot more from me than I may have anticipated.. Used to be I could snap a bead loose with clamps and my 16 inch channel locks quicker then quick - seems I lost some upper body strength to go with those body pieces and parts they kept.. Oh well,, back to the creative drawing board..

I got one of those little HF bead breakers I use here at home.. Thinking of figuring out a way to bolt it on, even if its in pieces - to my scoot.. Another thought is to fab up something even smaller out of existing bike parts.. Ever heard of anyone selling such a contraption? I was still able to use my bike tie downs and the tree in her front yard to hang and balance my new tire out there - no problem lifting the tire up and all that - just that stupid bead breaking routine...

Thoughts if any?

Edited by VanRiver

Hey cowpuc I hear you brother! You make it look so easy in your video tutorial on changing tires, but I have to admit I was "sweating to the oldies" last night in the garage wrestling with getting the old hard dried out rubber off the rims.....even with your "bug" and "missing body pieces" you probably can still work circles around me Puc! My hands are soft like butter from too many years behind a desk.

As for finding an easy and portable bead breaker I actually have been looking into the same topic as well and have found an interesting tool that would probably fit in your travel sack of tools.....it is called the BeadBuster XB-450. The design looks pretty simple, so simple that I've been thinking of attempting to make my own version. Here is link to a youtube video showing it in action. Sure beats pushing, prying, and using human brute force to break the bead when a simple locking screw mechanism can do the same thing in a small package. Basically the same clamp concept but better. What do you think, could that work for you?

Their website:

https://www.amazon.com/BeadBuster-XB-455-Motorcycle-Tire-Breaker/dp/B00X4J75OI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1501133597&sr=1-1&keywords=bead+buster+xb-455

Holy Moly! Even I could use that! Hmmm....this 70 year old bod just might be able to do his tires again!

Thanks VR!

Oh..and sorry we didn't get a chance to get together. You must have been as busy as we were!

Shame when life gets in the way of fun! Grins...

d

• 3 weeks later...

Their website:

Video of it in action:

@VanRiver,,, Riv - I have NO idea how on earth I missed this post - INDEED - WOWZY is that AWESOME!! If I were back a few years where I felt I had many moons left out goofin off CTFW I would definitely be interested in purchasing one - almost brings tears to my eyes thinking of all the bead busting I did thru the years with 2x4s n cars rolling over em, C-Clamps, 16 inch Channel Locks, great big sludge hammer in one hand and a huge heavy busting bar in the other and then,, finding my HF Bead Breaker that works OUTSTANDING but is just to big to haul on the scoot.. Indeed my brother - I LOVE what you found there!! I bid you ALL the very best in figuring one out and building it - YOU are my kind of folk = ol Puc is mighty proud of you - MIGHTY proud!! Now get out there in that garage,, cut some steel and fire up the wire feeder,,,, get er done and then take some pics of road side tire changin with NO bead breakin sweat rolling down and burning the eyeballs!!

Got my :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Riv!!

ur ol buddy

Puc