IGNORED

Is this an acceptable response from the dealer?

Guest kozman01

Guest kozman01

OK, as some of you already know, I had my 07' in for the "head gasket replacement TSB". They replaced the head gaskets. By the way, the tech stated that one of the bolts was finger tight!!!! Anyways, no leaks from the new head gasket but once they put my brand new motor back together, the valve cover, front, left as you sit on the bike was leaking a bit. I took it back and they had it for a few days and stated that the leaking will subside after a while and that the leak isn't caused by the valve cover gasket or lack of torque on the valve cover bolts, but its actually the Yamaha engine design that oil gets down in some sort of valley or something like that and pools up in the front, left because that's the way the bike sits. They stated the oil "leak" should go away after that oil works itself out. Anyone have any opinions on this and have they had the same issue. I do have confidence in this shop and want to believe him BUT, it didn't leak when I bought the bike:) Thanks for any input. By the way, they also completed the Yamaha TSB on the "lack of grease on the rear hub pins.

Is the oil, perchance, over filled. These engines don't like more than 1/2 to 3/4 up in the sight glass. Any more and it blows it out and it lands, roughly, on the front of the left rear cylinder or on top of the left surge tank just above the carbs. Wonder if this could be what you're seeing.

Why do you thrust them with the Work on your Bike and don't thrust them on the disappearing Oil.

I would take them by their Words and wait for the Oil to disappear. If not, well they owe you ....

This is not a big Issue.

OK I just read your post to my husband and he seems to think this is BS. Take it back to the dealer after marking valve cover gasket that's currently on the bike where you can ID it. Tell them to replace the valve cover gasket again and torque it properly this time. Let the dealer know anymore BS like this and you'll be talking to yamaha to let them know the kind of stuff they're telling you.

If you want you can call muffinman. His cell is listed on the site.

Good luck.

Margaret

Guest kozman01

I'll have to check onthe level of the oil. Since I'll be changing the oil Monday, I'll be sure to make the level correct. I had an issue prior to this with some sort of "fluid" that came out of one of those hoses above the airbox. It destroyed the inside of the right fairing and Yamaha replaced the lower cowling. Thanks for everyone's input.

Anything short of "We will take care of the problem" is NOT an acceptable answer from a dealer:no-no-no:. I have been working on engines since I was a young teen. I have NEVER seen an engine repair itself. Nor do gaskets reaseal themselves. I would take it back and very patiently tell the service manager to FIX IT!!!!!

Of course I do spoil the guys at the local dealership with donuts every now and then.:thumbsup2: I am NOT above bribery:innocent:.

I have worked in bike shops on and off for years,, I can tell you from experience that wrenching on your own bike to correct a warranty claim (assuming thats the case?) repair is a no no.. What if,, you re-torque it and snap a bolt off or slip off off the bolt and scratch a fairing or something..

Take it back and tell him his plan didnt work, please fix it... Pain in the neck aint it..

What very well could have happened is the mechanic hit it with his air wrench and trusted it,,, happens ALL the time = yes air tools are awesome BUT there is NOTHING like hand torque....

'Puc

Ditto on the BS......

Now if it were a fifty year old Jacobs radial, they could also rightly tell you that it would smoke for a bit after she starts, but that isn't what we're talking about is it? sorry...................

If it was an old Jacobs radial it sure would sound a whole lot better though.

Gotta love them old round motors.

Jeff

wrenching on your own bike to correct a warranty claim (assuming thats the case?) repair is a no no..

What if,, you re-torque it and snap a bolt off or slip off off the bolt and scratch a fairing or something..

Take it back and tell him his plan didnt work, please fix it...

I agree with PUC... I would not put a wrench on it at all, but would take it back and tell them it did not leak oil there before and you want it fixed. If what they are telling you is true then it would have leaked there before...

Any oil leak can be stopped......if repaired correctly.:whistling:

Personally, I wouldn't accept such reasoning. If it's sealed, it's sealed and nothing should leak. If it's leaking and it shouldn't be leaking, it's not sealed properly. I think someone screwed up. Let common sense prevail.