IGNORED

I've moved on from Ventures...

Condor

I've stopped collecting Ventures. As time creeps on, along with advancing age, I just can't get turned on like I used to. So... What to do for entertainment?? Oh he!!, I know... collect guns. I had my custom FN Mauser ripped off a long time ago. After looking for it over 25 years, at Gun Shows and local dealers, I finally gave up searching for it . In the meantime I did find a lot of very nice custom FN's on the market. I bought a few that were affordable. The others that were worth a ton by their sellers I admired but passed... I think they didn't really want to sell, just show-n-tell... Anyway over the past few years I've amassed a nice little collection of Mauser's. I buy them because they are well made.. the term custom can be loosely defined.... and a little odd or unique. But they must be high quality, and well crafted. I now own about 30-35.. lost count.. of really nice examples, and they are stored in a couple of new gun vaults. So far I haven't shot any, but I really don't care. I just enjoy the artwork... And they will do nothing except go up in value. I still have 8 or 9 Ventures, and the way things are going they'll be up on the block probably next spring/summer.....

Will that include Seven of Nine? She should be worth something just for the trunk lid.

Yep, she's gonna go too. I rode her up in The Dalles OR in '14, and last summer in Yreka. Great ride, but blew the water pump in Y and had to trailer her home. When I rebuilt the pump it had a bearing noise on startup, and the bearing was the only thing I hadn't replaced. So picked up another very lo-mile pump on eBay for less than the cost of the bearing, and she's been sitting ever since. Next spring when it starts to warm up I'll get into it again. Never thought of a value. I'll cogitate a bit more on that next year. Maybe eBay or maybe Barrett-Jackson Reno??

There comes a time when a guy has to hang up his spurs and move on to other things.

It's a tough decision to make ... or come to that realization. For me it was a gradual realization that hopping on the bike and taking off to wherever just wasn't "my thing" anymore. I sold the Victory in July. Probably didn't put more than 1,000 kilometers on it this year. Rode the Road Star maybe 3 times all this year and probably haven't put more than 2,000 kms on it since I got it a year and a half ago. It's now looking for a new owner.

Retiring next July. Nina and I are buying a 5th wheel and hitting the road for a couple years. After that ... who knows.

All the best to ya Jack!

I've stopped collecting Ventures. As time creeps on, along with advancing age, I just can't get turned on like I used to. So... What to do for entertainment?? Oh he!!, I know... collect guns. I had my custom FN Mauser ripped off a long time ago. After looking for it over 25 years, at Gun Shows and local dealers, I finally gave up searching for it . In the meantime I did find a lot of very nice custom FN's on the market. I bought a few that were affordable. The others that were worth a ton by their sellers I admired but passed... I think they didn't really want to sell, just show-n-tell... Anyway over the past few years I've amassed a nice little collection of Mauser's. I buy them because they are well made.. the term custom can be loosely defined.... and a little odd or unique. But they must be high quality, and well crafted. I now own about 30-35.. lost count.. of really nice examples, and they are stored in a couple of new gun vaults. So far I haven't shot any, but I really don't care. I just enjoy the artwork... And they will do nothing except go up in value. I still have 8 or 9 Ventures, and the way things are going they'll be up on the block probably next spring/summer.....
my oldest rifle is a 1909 Berlin made 30 06 mauser. I now have a whole collection of old military rifles.

Retiring next July. Nina and I are buying a 5th wheel and hitting the road for a couple years. After that ... who knows.

All the best to ya Jack!

Happy Trails to you both....

my oldest rifle is a 1909 Berlin made 30 06 mauser. I now have a whole collection of old military rifles.

I'm not into Milsurps, but know a lot of guys who are.

I do have a run of Winchester 22 pumps from around that time... :thumbsup2:

Win1906.1.jpg

I will try to restrain my enthusiasm for buying a new bike until I have more information on what you are selling. No promises though.

I don't want you to suffocate so don't hold your breath.. :) But... just to tease you and everyone a bit..?? :-) Lemme see :think: A 84/83/86VR, plus an '87VR, '90VR, '91VR, 93VR in 1stGens, and a '99RSV, '04RSMV, 07RSV...in 2nd's Some are 90% rolling chassis parts bikes. Others need TLC, and some are riders... I might also add that I have a garage full of 1stGen parts... HOWEVER this is not a sales ad. The flood gates will open in the spring... :-) Maybe Yamaha will have a new bagger out by then?? But don't hold your breath on that either.... :whistling:

I don't want you to suffocate so don't hold your breath.. :) But... just to tease you and everyone a bit..?? :-) Lemme see :think: A 84/83/86VR, plus an '87VR, '90VR, '91VR, 93VR in 1stGens, and a '99RSV, '04RSMV, 07RSV...in 2nd's Some are 90% rolling chassis parts bikes. Others need TLC, and some are riders... I might also add that I have a garage full of 1stGen parts... HOWEVER this is not a sales ad. The flood gates will open in the spring... :-) Maybe Yamaha will have a new bagger out by then?? But don't hold your breath on that either.... :whistling:

After a long winter who knows, you may even have a different out look about Ventures and riding again. Spring affects people us men especially.:cool10:

After a long winter who knows, you may even have a different out look about Ventures and riding again. Spring affects people us men especially.:cool10:

Yeah, ya never know... I may keep one for my escape vehicle.....

http://cast-aways.com/images/OldCodger.jpg

Oh Jack you were my idol. I always wished I could pick up Ventures and keep them from descending into oblivion. I managed to acquire an 83,86,87,and an 88 all VRs. Oh well they are all gone now, except the 87 Anniversary and as soon as I can get it out of the shed and some pictures,it will be gone too. Good luck in your new direction and in the gun collecting. That looks like fun.

This is what started it all.... The first is the original, and the second is one I finally located just recently. The hard part was finding a look alike and the same caliber...

Condor, those are beautiful custom Mausers. Mr. Paul Mauser developed the epidome of profection in his control feed bolt action rifle. His design was copied then and even more today by the great gun manufacturers. None are as buttery smooth as his though. Hard too beat German skill and craftsmanship.

Condor, those are beautiful custom Mausers. Mr. Paul Mauser developed the epidome of profection in his control feed bolt action rifle. His design was copied then and even more today by the great gun manufacturers. None are as buttery smooth as his though. Hard too beat German skill and craftsmanship.

Gotta agree with you Bill. I love them... All except that damn OEM safety.. :-) Here's another that just joined the fleet..

MauserMannlicher.2.jpg

That one would be my choice. Love those full length stocks.

Yep... Gotta love 'm. I also have a lever and Mannlicher fetish.... When I was in my early 20's I worked in a sporting goods store, and they had a Mannlicher Schoenar that I fell in love with, but couldn't afford. I finally found one at an auction right in my back yard. It's a Schoenar copy by Brno. So here's one more that started it all..

2016-10-02 12.21.44 (Medium).jpg

2016-10-02 12.19.51.jpg

Condor have you ever herd of a Spanish Mauser 98 in cal. 30 06? Had a chance to buy one but turned it down. It was a full battle rifle in excellent condition with straight bolt handle that was the deciding reason for not purchasing. Some excuse young and dumb.:bang head: