IGNORED

Its official they are old

Flyinfool

I had a thought today riding in to work. 2nd Gens are now starting to be OLD enough to put collector license plates on them. To get a Collector plate in WI a vehicle must be at least 20 model years old. The first version of the 2nd gen came out in 1996 (according to the history page).

So that makes it official, 2nd gens are now all considered OLD :backinmyday:. At least by me.:stirthepot: :witch_brew: :rasberry:

And I'll bet it would not take to much looking to find a new old bike still in a crate buried in the back at some dealership some where.

But even a really :backinmyday: 1st gen can still :buttkick: on a 2nd gen.:moon: :rasberry:

AND

In just 6 more years the 1st gens in WI can start to wear Antique plates. In WI Antique plates are for vehicles that are 40+ model years old.

In just 6 more years the 1st gens in WI can start to wear Antique plates. In WI Antique plates are for vehicles that are 40+ model years old.

Except per the DMV:

• A vehicle with Antique license plates can only be driven for special occasions, such as display and parade purposes, or for necessary testing, maintenance and storage purposes.

I'm gonna guess that hauling ass down back roads isn't a special occasion!

zag

yea,, stop squishin me Fool,,,:buttkick:

Been running those Historic/Antique plates for ever.. One of the great advantages to riding a scoot half most of your ages:yikes::guitarist 2::duck::duck:

How many miles do they allow on your antique up there? I am only allowed 1000 anually and the only advantage is I won't have to get it inspected AND!!! they are permanent.

How many miles do they allow on your antique up there? I am only allowed 1000 annually and the only advantage is I won't have to get it inspected AND!!! they are permanent.

Michigan has no mileage limit on their historic plated vehicles Snyp.. There other restraints though,, you are suppose to be going to/from a "rally", doing maintenance work, ect.. = really vague. I asked years ago about this and was told that basically the State wants to control people using the plates for commuting. Even that is still vague here though because everyone knows part of maintenance of a vehicle is just driving it (letting em sit is the hardest thing in the world on any of em "wink wink").. Also have to maintain insurance and following all normal licensing laws. Here we can get 10 year Historic Plates (which I do) for 30 bucks or, find a plate from any state that matches the year of the bike - pay 35 bucks for those plate for lifetime registration. I have actually done both but prefer the Historic Plates cause their seems to be a lot less questioning them in some area's of the country (according to the antique "car" guys who also travel around north America playing with the cars). The Michigan Historic Plates look like a "normal" plate except they say "historic" across the bottom. Knock on wood - having ran them on LOTS of motorcycles (both dirt and street bikes) all over North America and gotten stopped my share of times for "other issues" - I have never been questioned about running Historics.

We have been talking about snatching up a Jeep CJ to play with = was telling Tip that we really should buy an older "Antique" Jeep (had a 74 back in the 70's and LOVED it - one of the funnest vehicles I ever owned) so I can work on it (carb n points) and be able to take advantage of the wayyyyyyyyy cheaper licensing feature of running Historic's on it!!:thumbsup:

I find it interesting that your State has a 1000k yearly limit to mileage.. There is a HUGE antique car group that circles the States every year that I have followed on my bike (still in love with those ol' muscle cars). Of the hundreds and hundreds of those cars I have viewed over the years I dont remember ever seeing a lot of"normally" registered cars. Wonder if the ones I did see are ones from States that do have a mileage limit:think:, always wondered why anyone would pay the higher cost of normal plates for their '66 Vette - you may just of answered that :icon_smile_question:happy34:..

Hay Puc and Fool the bikes are getting OLD but not half as old as the people that still ride them.:nanner:

Hey Roller,, you ever hear the ol' cliche' about pointing your finger and having 3 of fingers pointing back at cha? Just wondered if that implies x3 on age too :witch_brew::stickpoke::rasberry::backinmyday::rasberry:

he's just an oldddd hippy trying to adjust :crackup:

In WI the only use limitation to Collector plates is that it can not be driven on the street in the month of January. Not normally a big deal for a bike in Wisconsin. Collector plate requires a one time payment of 2 years registration which is $23 + $50 and then the plates never expire, even if you transfer them to another bike.

Antique plates are the ones with a lot of restrictions. I will not go that route.

Michigan has no mileage limit on their historic plated vehicles Snyp.. There other restraints though,, you are suppose to be going to/from a "rally", doing maintenance work, ect.. = really vague. I asked years ago about this and was told that basically the State wants to control people using the plates for commuting. Even that is still vague here though because everyone knows part of maintenance of a vehicle is just driving it (letting em sit is the hardest thing in the world on any of em "wink wink").. Also have to maintain insurance and following all normal licensing laws. Here we can get 10 year Historic Plates (which I do) for 30 bucks or, find a plate from any state that matches the year of the bike - pay 35 bucks for those plate for lifetime registration. I have actually done both but prefer the Historic Plates cause their seems to be a lot less questioning them in some area's of the country (according to the antique "car" guys who also travel around north America playing with the cars). The Michigan Historic Plates look like a "normal" plate except they say "historic" across the bottom. Knock on wood - having ran them on LOTS of motorcycles (both dirt and street bikes) all over North America and gotten stopped my share of times for "other issues" - I have never been questioned about running Historics.

We have been talking about snatching up a Jeep CJ to play with = was telling Tip that we really should buy an older "Antique" Jeep (had a 74 back in the 70's and LOVED it - one of the funnest vehicles I ever owned) so I can work on it (carb n points) and be able to take advantage of the wayyyyyyyyy cheaper licensing feature of running Historic's on it!!:thumbsup:

I find it interesting that your State has a 1000k yearly limit to mileage.. There is a HUGE antique car group that circles the States every year that I have followed on my bike (still in love with those ol' muscle cars). Of the hundreds and hundreds of those cars I have viewed over the years I dont remember ever seeing a lot of"normally" registered cars. Wonder if the ones I did see are ones from States that do have a mileage limit:think:, always wondered why anyone would pay the higher cost of normal plates for their '66 Vette - you may just of answered that :icon_smile_question:happy34:..

See if I got this right? 1000k = 1,000,000 miles. That's a reasonable annual limit.