IGNORED

rear tire

anyone had experience with the IRC will flare tires? only found a few reviews elsewhere. Pretty new to market.

just wondering, before i get serious about a new rear, thought i'd check the options.

90% of my riding is one up but i'm a big boy 290#s right now.

I've got harley pipes and KN filters. Its only 6 miles to work and i hit triple digits two or three times a week. I ride it like I stole it all the time.

The last Elite is getting close to retirement.

I dunno. Don't have personal experience with it, nor have I nor my riding friends heard of it. However, the Venture size on their site is rated at 71H which I think is kinda light and considering your size (and speed). There are heavier 74H, 77H and even 80H tires out there. Triple digits huh? Never had mine wound that tight, I think 85ish was tops for me with nothing left to twist.

There is more to a tire than just size. Yamaha specifies a load index of 74. That should be your minimum.

A 71 tire isn't designed to carry the weight of your Venture. If you're lucky it'll only wear out fast. If you're unlucky it'll come apart at a very inconvenient time.

I like the shinko tourmasters on my little bike and I bought the shinko 777s for my '84 venture soon after I bought it.. I still have a high speed snake weave issue after twerking the neck bearings and changing fork springs to progressives. Unfortunately I then found one seal leaking so not yet sure why I have snake weave. As I recall irc was not the best tire I could get for the heavy bike at that price point (look at shinko else spend the money especially since you ride fast.)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I still have a high speed snake weave issue after twerking the neck bearings and changing fork springs to progressives.
Perhaps the problem is rather than twerking your neck bearing you should have tweaked them. :smile5:

Unfortunately I then found one seal leaking so not yet sure why I have snake weave.)
If the forks do not react in the same manner you will get a weave. A leak on one side could be reasonably be expected to be the cause. The other thing is if the head bearings are still loose after twerking them you could try snugging them up a bit more. Do you know if the bearings have been greased in the time you have owned the bike?

Haven't heard of it either. I don't want to hijack the thread but this is not the first time that I've heard somebody say that their bike wouldn't run over about 85. I will say again, there is something wrong with your bike if it won't hit well over triple digits.

i'll say this it gets there quickly! However if you get too much over the century mark. you can tell its not a high speed bike!

So based on the recomendations here I widened my search. Now I have another question.

on the SHINKO tires the 230 series is listed as a 80 load rateing and a V speed.Aramid belting

• DESIGNED FOR LONG DISTANCE, HIGH SPEED RIDING

the 777 is list as 80 and H.Reinforced carcass.

[*=left]GREAT ECONOMY TOURING TIRES DESIGNED IN SIZES TO FIT MOST CRUISERS

the write up calls the 777 an encomy cruiser tire, however on three different websites it is $10 to $20 more than the 230?

Does it gets its "economy" from lasting longer? or is that just market speak?

anyone have experience with both or either?

I like the shinko tourmasters on my little bike and I bought the shinko 777s for my '84 venture soon after I bought it.. I still have a high speed snake weave issue after twerking the neck bearings and changing fork springs to progressives. Unfortunately I then found one seal leaking so not yet sure why I have snake weave. As I recall irc was not the best tire I could get for the heavy bike at that price point (look at shinko else spend the money especially since you ride fast.)

Gary, snake weave could very well indicate a problem in the rear....swing arm bushings, etc.

So based on the recomendations here I widened my search. Now I have another question.

on the SHINKO tires the 230series is listed as a 80 load rateing and a V speed.Aramid belting

the write up calls the 777 an encomy cruiser tire, however on three different websites it is $10 to $20 more than the 230?

In my opinion, the write up suggests the 777's are for lighter weight "cruisers".

Only installed the 230's on my 1st gen. I would recommend them as they ride soft, corner great, handle rain very well. I run them at 38-40lbs front, 40-42 pounds rear... Depending on 1 or 2 up. When time comes, I'll throw them on RSV as well.

Not to jack the thread but yes on the second arm bushings.. Haven't yet got to checking that (I couldn't detect any slop with it on the centerstand but was meaning to post seeking the best way to check). & on the 777s vs the 230, they both have same load rating, but the 230 has higher speed rating.. Lower heat at speed, so I was thinking it might be softer compound to get traction around town and so would wear faster than the 777. Also the 777 looks like a better rain tire so those two thi,Gs combined i picked 777. Next up is the son but the 777 looks like better rain tire then the Avon.

on the SHINKO tires the 230 series is listed as a 80 load rateing and a V speed.Aramid belting

If Shinko's are what you want, then get the Shinko 777 series tire. Higher load capacity and more tread rubber, although a lower "H" speed rating. Travel much constantly at 130 mph do you?

See Here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?107652-Shinko-777-Tires

Or, for the latest, get some Shinko 777 series Reflector Tires.

Reflector-777.jpg

If Shinko's are what you want, then get the Shinko 777 series tire. Higher load capacity and more tread rubber, although a lower "H" speed rating. Travel much constantly at 130 mph do you?

See Here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?107652-Shinko-777-Tires

Or, for the latest, get some Shinko 777 series Reflector Tires.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107581

Can't say i've gone much over the century mark on this one. I did hold the old 850 triple at 125mph for over 12 miles on the Pennsy turnpike making a speed run home one weekend. Should have the look on the toll takers face when she caught the time stamps... booth to booth in just under 12 minutes. Gawd I was such a squid 30 years ago!