IGNORED

Help!!! selling My bike question

bikerjohn

I have a person wanting to buy my 2006 Yamaha venture for the price i posted it in CL.

he wants my PayPal account so he can pay me for it.

Sorry but this sounds like a scam

Has anyone ever sold a vehicle thru Pay Pal??

When i suggested a certified check he said i have my funds on my paypal account.

Is there a safe way to verify that he is legit .

his has scam written all over it.

i checked the area code and it is in Galveston Texas area.

Thanks

Buyers do not need your PayPal account information, all he needs to do is tell Pay Pal to send you the money from his account to what email address you have set up.

Craig's list is full of scammers especially when it comes to vehicles. I do not think I would allow such a large purchase on Pay Pal.

My bet , it is a scam of some type, he can get Pay Pal to send him his own money and he can then send you a certified check, that you cash and wait for it to clear the bank before turning over the title and keys to the bike.

Be very careful.

nothing wrong with Papal and all the buyer needs is an email address associated with your account to send the funds to. The transaction can be seen in about five minutes via your email and Paypal accounts as the transaction posts. When selling larger ticket items I take a deposit via Paypal, then cash on the barrel head upon item pickup. Remittance in full if the item is being shipped.

I've been using Paypal for over 15 years and not a single issue with it; buying, or selling.

One more thing. If you DO accept PayPal, you have to understand that if it is any type of e-check and etc. then there will be a hold on the funds. You would NEVER want to let anybody take the item before the funds have cleared for SURE. The other thing to remember is that depending upon how he pays, they will charge you a fee and for a large item, it can be a decent amount. If I were to even consider taking PayPal in your case, I would tell HIM to pay the fee. He can do that by sending the funds as "friends or family". If he truly has the funds in his account then they will not charge him fee. If he is actually funding it through PayPal but tied to a credit card, they will charge HIM the fee and not you.

i agree with the boss, as i have used paypal for years, and if they can't send it as friends and family then i don't need their business.

all you have to give them is your e-mail address, it's not like your giving them banking information.

Yes on large ticket items A paypal DEPOSIT to you to hold the item while a long distance buyer arranges funds and travel to your location is a reasonable solution. But the ONLY thing the buyer needs is your paypal email. You can also send a funds request to the BUYERS email. It's fairly simple to weed out scammers by requesting the buyers info, address, phone number, email etc. Then you can search that info to get a better handle on his reliability. I have even gotten funds via Western union and crated shipped a bike. You need to trust your feelings and accept your tolerance for risk. Even cash can be forged..... I must live a charmed life but have done some amazingly trusting long distance dealing of bikes and cars.

I kid you not; bought off ebay a Pennsylvania guys $21,000 car, paid off a loan from a Detroit lender via electronic transfer (the seller was upside down and had to kick in to finish paying the loan), flew to LA, took a taxi to an address, took the key out of the tailpipe of the car parked on the street and drove it home to WI, picked up my wife, and drove to Mexico for a vacation. During this whole process the seller and I never got within 800 miles of each other. I still own the vehicle 10 years later. I have flown to drive home at least 4 cars and motorcycles so far. I have sent 1,000's of items around the world, from free nuts and bolts up to an $80,000 airplane.

Edited by gggGary

Also get more info on how he intends to pick the item up. If he is sending "his courier", run for the hills. In a dispute PP almost always sides with the buyer. IF he goes back to PP and says the item was not as advertised PP will refund him the money, he will then have both his money and the item. OR idf the sell er claims the item is a counterfit then PP will have him "destroy" it and refund him the money. All he needs is a pic of a destroyed similar item for proof to PP.

Since I have gotten burned on some small items using these scams. I am now strictly CASH when you pick it up, especially with a bigger $$ item, and that will be at the front door of the local PD recorded on video. Yea I know that modern printers can make a pretty good bill, but if you know what to look for...

I tried to sell my trailer on craigslist. Always depend on the first hits are scams. If they text you and its way out of the area code its a scam. They buy the pre paid phones so no way can you track it. Ask where they are from. When I would hire people from the shop I worked in I would take the first three numbers of the social security number. Then in the interview I would ask them how they liked the state the number would match. If they were never in the state interview was over. Worked well with minority groups.

The key here is he wants to send you the money without looking at the bike. That should raise a flag anytime. As far as using Paypal, I've been using Paypal as a business credit card system for just short of 20 years. Started way back when it was http://www.x.com. ... The alphabet was the first to go when web registration began.... I've taken payments from all over the world, and one of the things I like about PP in that they will convert different currencies to US$. Like Don said sometimes the fee can be on the high side... figure 3 bucks a hundred. One fee I got hit with was $264 bucks, but it was worth it knowing the payment was secure. And.... you can always pad the selling price to cover the charge if you want. I've used it a lot and have never been dissatisfied..