IGNORED

No where near a motorcycle tire question

Yammer Dan

OK I have a Cub Cadet mower that is a few years old but runs great. My trouble is the tires on it are cracking in the sidewalls. Cracking is getting so bad they are leaking air. Tread is not bad. Tubeless tires. My thought_ Buy some tubes to put in them and see if they will outlast the mower?? Or go ahead and find some tires? These stupid things cost almost as much as a car tire!!! Tubes can be had for less than 1/2 what tires will cost me. Just wondering if anyone had tried anything like this. Will the tubes just pop or would they last a few years like that? The mower is a 50 inch cut, runs great, uses no oil. Tubes or Tires???

Well Dan, to save money I would go with tubes. If and when the tires disintegrate and you have to finally replace the tires, you will still have the tubes for the next time providing THEY don't dry rot as well!!

If the tires are dry rotting already, I somehow think your mower is more than "a few years old!" I'm thinking SEVERAL years old is more appropriate! Myself I would just replace the tires and be done with it but that's me. It's just a mower, not a car or motorcycle, chances are you are not gonna die from a blowout...

If a cracked sidewall rips and blows out, the tube will just bulge out of the hole and pop. Either way when the sidewall lets go you will be buying a new tire. I would get the new tire and they will outlive you and can be someone else problem some day when you are gone. So it kind of depends on just how bad are the cracks, light surface cracking, don't worry about it, deep cracks where you can see cord at the bottom of the crack, the tube will not help or delay the inevitable.

I would put some tubes in them. When you dismount one side to get tube in, as long as there is not a crack all the way thru the tire that would pinch the tube I'd say your good. We had some sort of old Cadet on my uncles place tires were sad shape. 12 or 13 inch jobs, but they wanted a lot of coin at the time for them. We went to Western Auto (remember them) and got a couple small car tires that were close and called it good. Might have even been snow treads I dont remember.

The tires on my old John Deere that I use mostly for the snowblower had cracked tires when I bought it several years ago. The owner had already put tubes in them or maybe they came with tubes, I don't know. I used it that way for probably 6 or 7 years before they finally cracked on the tread and the tube was actually starting to stick out of one of the cracks. Actually used it for an entire winter with the tube sticking out that way before finally replacing the front tires last year.