IGNORED

8" vs 12" wheels?

royalstarjac

To be honest I don't know the answer, but I would think that the size wheel you want would be determined by how much weight you intend to carry. The 12 inch being able to support more weight.

Again I don't know for sure it's just a WAG.

Guest tx2sturgis

Larger wheels and tires give a slightly smoother, more stable ride. The tread lasts longer, assuming same tire quality on both. Larger tires run cooler, and the bearings do too.

Having said that, its mainly a matter of choice. Larger tires also put the trailer up higher, so stabilty in a high speed curve can suffer..possibly. Not enuff to mean an accident, you just may have to slow down a bit more. Larger tires can be easier to find replacements for on the road. And they just look better, usually because of more styles available for the wheels and/or wheel covers.

If they use timken style bearings in the small wheels, you can't pull the trailer fast enuff to hurt them, no matter WHAT size tire they use, so dont worry about that.

Finally, larger tires are USUALLY wider, and assuming the same weight loading, the wider tires may be more prone to hydroplaning in the wet stuff....altho, if its raining hard enuf to be a problem, you WILL be slowing down anyway.

So...given a choice, small trailer, light loads, then choose small wheels...large trailer with heavier loads, then choose large wheels.

Did I confuse you?

I have built trailers with both sizes, it's all about how often you'll be doing maintenance. 12" tires will spin slower @ hwy speeds so will require less maintenance. You wont even recognise the weight rating on either tire as the bike would be so grossly overrated. I have pulled a trailer I built with 8" tires over 20000 miles with zero problems. That being said as long as you keep them greased regularly either will work fine. I prefer the look of the 12" over the 8" so thats what I build them with now.

I have pulled trailors with 8" tires 50,000 + miles with no problems and no noticeable wear to bearings. Very good performance at any speeds and great handling. The weight rating for a motorcycle trailor axles and bearings far exceed the weight you will ever haul so there is not much chance of bearings heating up or wear problems as long as they are always kept greased. I have always used bearing buddies and they work well to keep the inner and outer bearings lubricated in these small trailors. The 8" or 12" tires are available at Wallyworld if you have problems on the road. You can buy the wheels and tires already mounted for either and aren't that much more expensive for both. If I had the choice for looks only many trailors do look better with the 12" wheels but I would lose some storage space W\ 12" tires due to the fact that my fender welds encroach on the storage compartment and the design of my trailor looks just fine with 8" tires. As already said in this post it is just a matter of personal preference anyway. Hope this helps

I'm considering purchasing a trailer and I'm new to motorcycle trailering. What's the difference between 8" wheels and 12" wheels as far as handling, wear and other considerations?-Jack

I ran the 12" on my last Harbor Freight trailer with no problems. Im about to build a new H/F trailer with the 8" wheels. You didnt mention if your planning on using the H/F trailer kit. If you are, make sure you clean out the original grease (actually it's vaseline) from the bearings and replace it with a good quality grease.

All I can say is that I have 12" radials on the BEERCART , Muffinman has 8" Bias on his HB trailer I believe . Both of us have pulled into the 3 digit MPH and still going strong !

Larger tires has smoother ride and less spins per mile . Depending on type of trailer and suspension , width of trailer , weight (Tar and Gross) , load factor , etc..... , it's hard to say truthfully as there are too many variants to compare too . The length of the ride , type of road surfaces , total weight , wind , weather , and style of driving and how much beer your hauling , also to consider . Bottom line , I think it is personal preference with a small degree of your intent on how and what you pull . Just make sure you have Bearing-Buddies and most importantly routine inspections on both scoot and trailer . Know your limit and do not over do it .

BEER30

Guest tx2sturgis

The only bad thing about Bearing Buddies, they are UGLY. With or without the rubber caps.

And on my trailer, with the type of wheels it has, they stick out too far....so...I just use the Bearing Buddies as bearing packing tools, then take them off and put the nice caps back on the wheel. This leaves plenty of grease in the bearings...and actually seals better than the buddies do.

• 1 month later...

One thing to be aware of, depending on the market you're buying in: some specific trailer tyres are only rated for 50 mph. I've gone above this without any mishap with quite a heavy load (before I realised what the tyre rating was), but it is something to bear in mind if youhave a choice. Essentially 8" and 10" trailer wheels are freely and cheaply available (over here at least), whereas 12" are up-market and can use car tyres (and are more likely to be used braked) and are more expensive.

You would expect the ride height to be higher with 12" wheels, but on more expensive suspension units you will probably be able to decide how to mount the suspension arm on the splines on the damper unit, so you can set the ride height to whatever you wish, so long as there is clearance.

Smaller - cheaper, easy to source and probably fine to use if your tyres are up to spec.

Larger - more expensive and likely to use tubeless rather than tube type tyres.

[NB - regarding braked wheels - I tow with a sidecar, not solo.]

I have aoften heard that a twelve inch tire spins at a slower rate than an 8 inch tire. But does anyone know how to figure up just how much a difference that makes? I guess I always wondered what the answer is.

I have a Neosho with 8" tires that I have pulled at every speed imaginable with no problems. The bottom line is I don't imagine anyone can tell a whole lot of difference in the two really, when being pulled. But that's just always been my thought.

Just like bikes, we all have our opinion of what we like. If you like 8" buy a trailer with 8". If not, go bigger. Just ride and be safe!

I have aoften heard that a twelve inch tire spins at a slower rate than an 8 inch tire. But does anyone know how to figure up just how much a difference that makes? quote]

Assuming that both wheels have a tire with a 4 inch sidewall, the circumfrence should be 50.24 inches around the tire tread on the 8 inch wheel and 62.8 inches around on the 12 inch wheel. So the smaller tire should turn 1.25 times to each turn of the 12 inch wheel.

Got that number by adding the sidewall width X 2 to the wheel diameter. then multiplying total diameter times pi.

(2 X 4" sidewall) + 8" wheel = 16" diameter of tire. 16" X 3.14 = 50.24" circumfrence of the 8" tire.

(2 X 4" sidewall) + 12" wheel = 20" Diameter of tire. 20" X 3.14 = 62.8" circumfrence of the 12" tire.

62.8/50.24 = 1.25 more turns for the 8" wheel, or 25% more often.

I think it depends on what phase the moon is in. :think:

Actually I believe you are right on with your numbers as long as both tires have the same height of sidewall. I would go with the 12 inch wheel for that reason and for the fact they will go over a bump much easier.

The 8" diameter is the steel hub diameter, not the wheel diameter. The difference in rotational speed is proportional to the difference in tire outside diameters. It's not 12"/8" or 150% of the larger tire velocity, but something like 20"/16" or 125%. Different tires have different heights, so you'd need to measure them. Then, the tire diameter changes when you load it (the height of the axle above the pavement is 1/2 of the effective diameter).

The tires heat up as they spin. The carcass flexes where it touches the pavement, then relaxes as it rotates through the air. The faster it spins, the more flexes per mile. This is what leads to tread separation, etc. Also, the smaller tire tread wear is faster per mile, but I've never worn a trailer tire tread out. Higher pressures mean less flexing, but you need a stronger carcass to hold the pressure. Load ratings and pressure ratings vary, so you need to look at the tires to see what it will take. Slow speed tires are not very good.

Your bearings wear faster if the wheel spins faster. Good bearings last forever with good maintenance, but the original bearing may be cheap stuff.

The biggest difference you'll notice with large diameter wheels is the trailer won't bounce as much. This saves wear & tear on your tie downs, and keeps a few parts from shaking loose from your bike on the highway. Yeah, Yamaha bolts do loosen or break. Oh yeah, double strap everything; you're gonna break one sometime.

I have aoften heard that a twelve inch tire spins at a slower rate than an 8 inch tire. But does anyone know how to figure up just how much a difference that makes? I guess I always wondered what the answer is.

I have a Neosho with 8" tires that I have pulled at every speed imaginable with no problems. The bottom line is I don't imagine anyone can tell a whole lot of difference in the two really, when being pulled. But that's just always been my thought.

quote]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Old man Wood

I think that you have got a good mix of info on you question. I just recently( a few days ago) bought my 07 Venture Midnight in Florida and proceeded to drive it home 2336 miles, after not driving for 20 plus years. To complicate it further I purchased a Piggy Backer XL trailer to tow behind. This was more a matter of survival after watching my wife geting ready to pack for this 12 day trip. I really dont have any long experience to pass on to you other then this.

My trailer has the 12" wheels, which are crome and comes with a spare rim and tire mounted under the trailer. Independent torison suspension which allows for higher road clearance and better ride. A bumper to easily lift and move it around in difficult parking or backing up situtions. It has a folding up kick stand, and a cooler chest bracket. Also comes ith a set of spare wheel bearings and hatch lock downs. Led lighting that shows up great. I did add a 12" led luight bar when I stopped at Americade in Lake George, NY

both for visibilty and looks.

This is my first experience towing, and I can honestly say that after the first 100 miles I never new that this trailer was behind me. Perhaps I just got lucky right from the git go.

The triler hardly bounced over rougher sections of highway, tracked beautifully, no jerk or shove on the hitch. My biggest worry was when cutting in after passing or turning in to a parking lot or such not to over cut. I also had to be awere of my stoping distance, which also help me in keeping safe distance and watching for things ahead and from the side.

I did as much research as I could before starting out on this adventure. I can tell you that I am extremely happy with my trailer, the company I bought it from and their service to me, and its performance, not mention the the very affordable price I paid. All this from a novice who had 12 days of motorcycling and towing from Daytona Beach, FL to New Brunswick, Canada and would jum on the bike and do it all the way back again tomorrow. Hope this helps

Old Man Wood

I was having this discussion with Beer 30 at maint day. I have a camper trailer with 8" wheels. I think the point about slower revolutions on 12" wheels is a good observation. The 8" seem a bit more sensitive to the road. Given the choice I'd go for 12s, but if I found a trailer I liked with 8s I wouldn't pass it up for that reason alone.