IGNORED

electrcal issue

I'm riding my 2007 venture yesterday and it started running weird like all the cylinders weren't firing(lose of power ). I made it about 2 blocks got to a stop light and it died, tried to restart and it would crank about a half a turn and nothing. So I put in a new battery and it fired right up. But I'm feeling like a bad battery won't make it miss like it was and have the lose of power that occurred. where do I go from here could a bad battery cause it to run like it was.

Thanks

If the voltage gets low enough the ignition system will start to act up and then shut down. Probably not the battery though, it should keep running even with a bad battery.

You need to make sure the charging system is working.

Absolutely....you either had a bad connection at the battery terminals, bad battery or your charging system isn't working. I suggest you get a volt ohm meter and check what voltage you are getting at the battery with the bike running at or around 1,000 rpm. Should be 13.5-14 vdc. BTW how old was your battery?

Sure sounds suspiciously like a charging system issue to me too Jeff - these guru's are batting 100% this morning.. Shoot down to Harbor Freight, pick up a cheapy Ohm Meter for a few bucks, set it on 20v DC, turn it on and put the leads on the battery posts,, you should see around 12v without the bike running - start your scoot and rev it a little and see if the voltage reading jumps up above 13.5.. If no movement up ya got a charging problem.. Another easy way to check it is to just glance at your headlight when you rev it (kind of old school but still effective) - should see the headlight brighten slightly as the R's come off idle..

Have never owned one of the newer Ventures but stator issues on the MK1 1st Gens were really common and a toasted stator would cause exactly what your talking about but stator failure is more uncommon on bikes like yours.. I have read on the site here where the RSV's like yours have had issues with the Voltage Regulator,, if it were my bike and it didnt show charging on the ohm meter I would take a peek at the connectors leading into the Voltage Reg - making sure they were clean and healthy...

Battery was 9 years old. But an old battery wouldn't cause the bike to have a lose of power would it?

Like my Economics Prof used to say all the time "all things being equal" = No as long as you stay above a couple grand on the R's the charging system one would think the charging system could keep up with normal operations with a weak battery once its running BUT - when you shift and your R's quickly drop off - if you have a bad battery your engine will be deprived of the 12 volts its needs and will stammer.. Also,, its not uncommon for a battery to short out internally and gobble electrons like a 10 year old eatin french fries (this is the "unequal" part of the equation)..

9 years on a battery is AWESOME - time for a new one any way so you didnt go wrong on picking one up but still go down and grab a cheapy VOM (ohm meter) and take a peek at your charging system.. Nothing wrong with knowing all is well there..:thumbsup:

I did put the volt meter on it and engine not running its at 12 volts. With the engine running at roughly 2000rpm it drops to 10 volts so whats the next step? Is the stator hard to change myself is there a step by strep somewhere on the forum on how to do it.

Unless you have a zillion miles on her or have added a bunch of lights,, I would be more suspicious of the Voltage Reg than the stator.. Here is good write up on testing.. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?81297-Testing-for-a-Battery-not-Charging

And here is another good read on the subject.. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?78728-Do-I-need-a-new-stator&highlight=changing+stator

Stator replacement aint bad and neither is the regulator.. Stator is inside the left engine cover and, on the 2nd Gens, I think the regulator is under the bottom of the radiator...

Go to "General Tech Talk" and there is a step by step check of the electrical systems. I had an 07 that the stator when bad I think around 80,000 miles. No extras that would put a strain on the stator it just went bad. I would start with the test at the very end where you check for the AC voltage from the stator. You have to disconnect the wire that connects to the rectafier regular aka R/R. Due the test. If there is a difference between the 3 legs that will be the problem. Go to YouTube and it has several posts that show you how to check. R/R still needs to be checked as it my be the reason the stator went bad. Let us know what you find out. :080402gudl_prv:

So I determinded that my stator and regulator are bad so does anybody have a recommendation where to get new ones. It seems to me that I saw on this forum at one time that there is a higher output stator out there. also I would assume that I need the gasket for the cover where the stator goes. This seems like it would not be a very didicult repair ? Does anybody have any tips for doing this

Thanks

Jeff

Thought I answered this yesterday but don't see post. Don't get a high output stator. Others have had issues with them. Recommend either a new on eBay or dealer or a used one on eBay...Pinball cycles. There is a new one listed for 1st gens here on the eBay folder... But something doesn't look right. I don't see three AC voltage output leads... Only two. Maybe it's a bad picture. I'm sure someone else would know if it would work on a second gen scoot.

I Have 32,000 miles on my bike.

So I went out and bought a new multi meter the one I had was old and I wasn't sure if it was working right so the new one show both the stator and the regulator as good but I am still getting less than 13volts with the bike running so I'm going to go through all the connections again and reclean them and see if that doesn't fix things.

I Have 32,000 miles on my bike.

So I went out and bought a new multi meter the one I had was old and I wasn't sure if it was working right so the new one show both the stator and the regulator as good but I am still getting less than 13volts with the bike running so I'm going to go through all the connections again and reclean them and see if that doesn't fix things.

At idle it is normal to have a low output.

You need to check the battery voltage with the engine at around 3,000 RPM.

Suggestion?

...maybe it would help us if you would go through and list the steps you've taken so far in your tests...and the results of each test.

Example: Did you check the output of the stator with the regulator disconnected? What was the voltage between each of the three legs? Did you follow the testing procedure in the shop manual starting on pg. 8-23? Etc. ? (manual can be found/downloaded on this site...)

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?91-Guides-Parts-Diagrams-Etc

Edited by videoarizona
add link

Let me relook at that 13 volts. With the engine running you should be getting from .5 to 1.5 volts more than the static battery voltage with the engine off. Which is generally about 13.3 volts. But not always.

Mike

Yah!! 9 year old battery is practically unheard of even in a car!!!

Yes, a weak battery under load, i.e. running with the headlight on, etc certainly can get loaded down enough to make it be below the threshold that the electrical needs to properly function...