IGNORED

Man enough to admit I'm beat.

Well, I don't like to admit it but my bike has whooped me. I have been trying to get the starter clutch out and failing miserably. I'm still stuck at trying to get the cover off. So here is what I'm offering. If there is anybody near the Appleton Wisconsin area that is willing to take pity on this struggling newby and is willing to help, I am willing to offer the standard Wisconsin thank you (case of beer and a 6-pack of brats) along with one of my wife's amazing home cooked meals. She is Hispanic and does real Mexican food. I have or can get a hold of tools . I have a lot of maintenance background from my time in the Navy and am currently working on autos and heavy equipment but for some reason, this small engine is kicking my tail despite all of the advice and pointers I have received here... thanks for reading.

Hang in there. Don't let it beat you down. When I did mine five years ago it was a full day of frustration and irritation. Those flywheels are a bear for get loose the first time, and when they come off, it's a surprise. They will actually jump a foot off the shaft when they let loose. So be prepared with padding under it.

It does take a good quality gear puller, grade 8 bolts, a couple of over thick steel washers for under the bolt heads to keep them for pulling through. If you're using a breaker bar add a little cheater pipe on that. Or even better a solid 1/2 drive air impact wrench.

Like you I was talking to myself. I wasn't winning. i gave up and went to bed muttering to myself. I left the bike on the stand with the puller still attached and fully cranked down. When I got back up in the morning I went out expecting another day of battle. Found the dang thing laying on the floor in the pile of packing quilts I'd been sitting in.

I don't know if it was just the temp changes over night or the garage gremlins just having a good laugh but I'll take it. If I i was closer I'd stuff my garage gremlins in a cage and drop them off. They need something to do.

It aint just you, i'm beat also... been reading and working with my 83 for almost a year now, am im just ready to take a big loss, seems these were their beta bikes which i have come to a conclusion to stop throwing money at. myself i have been a machinist since i was 18 and now im 66, trained by the Torrington company, which sold out to Timken bearings,and now they have sold out to some Japanese company. well back to reality ...i should have been reading reviews of the yamaha venture for 1983, i know guys love em here, but i dont get it. mine looks nice, did run good till i started to upgrade stuff, and found out Yamaha Stealerships and after market parts suppliers think there MADE OF GOLD...BLAH BLAH BLAH. im gonna start selling parts real soon i think.. seems theres more money in selling parts for em. Dont get me wrong i like the bike but its a B*tch to work on, the manuals are all wrong. the list of problems is a mile long i wanna go back a year and get something else...

My sympathies are with ya!

Wil

If you are still stuck on the cover, then there is an issue that hasn't been covered yet.

Can you post some pictures as to where you are at?

Just to start from scratch so to speak: To remove the cover remove all the bolts that are holding it in place, then lay down and look to make sure they are all removed. Remove the crash bar, and shift pedal linkage. When you go to reinstall the shift shaft through the cover make sure the knuckle is in the upward position. You can now 'break' the seal that the gasket makes between the cover and the engine by giving sharp raps around the outside of the cover. You'll notice that it is loose when it loosens. If somebody used a sealant in that joint then things become a bit more dicey, you'll have to use a prying tool to separate it form the engine, but first before you do that. check once more to make sure all bolts are out, I mean all of the or you will crack the cover. Once you have it loose then you need some strong arm to pull it the rest of the way off. The magnets on the inside of the cover are strong and really don't want to come away from where they do their job best. So pull, wiggle, pull and all of a sudden things will come.

The starter clutch itself can be a bear, a big black grizzly Canadian type. You'll need a quality puller, as mentioned hardened bolts and thick washers, along with a cheater bar. Remove the bolt holding the clutch on the shaft, install the puller, making sure it's installed perfectly level and flush. Now carefully snug the puller and check the alignment again. Once you are absolutely positive that all is good to go, put the pressure to the puller and watch out that you don't get in the way. When it comes off it will do so in a flying hurry. If you don't get any results then it make be time to take matters to a higher level. For this you will need a heavy, solid punch, and a 2 lb hammer. While under pressure set the punch close to the separation of clutch and shaft and give it a sharp rap with the 2lb. Stand to the side so you don't get hit.

Like I said before, often pictures will help a lot.

Also the middle gear cover has to come off first.

As Marcarl mentioned make sure you have all the screws out, some are good at hiding and even a bit tricky to get to.

And yes, Pictures always help us.

Once you get the bike running you will understand why we love them so much and put up their issues.

I don't think there is a bike made that does not have its issues.

Ooops,, thats not where your stuck,,, sorry bout that Ready,,,, indeed the covers can be finicky - just remember that the cover has alignment dowels that keep it in perfect alignment - as mentioned, you will definitely need to smack it with a heavy leather (best), plastic (not the best) or even a piece of hardwood being smacked by a hammer (worst case scenario that always seems to be where I end up) at an angle outwardly to break it loose..

Sure wish I was closer cause I would scoot over and give you a hand brother - I happen to LOVE home made Tamales :big-grin-emoticon:...

Man, If you were just a tad closer and/or I did not have to work all week.....................

My first opportunity to get up there will not be until the first weekend in June so if you do not have it solved by then.................

Seeing as you're flying that Swab-jockey flag, and me being a former Jarhead (one never knows when he might need a ride to a fight....)...I'm in Cedarburg, so I'm not all that close....send me a pm with some times you're available and I'll see if it sync's up with my schedule.

I've yet to do this particular procedure, but maybe between the two of us we can figure it out...

Pat

Seeing as you're flying that Swab-jockey flag, and me being a former Jarhead (one never knows when he might need a ride to a fight....)...I'm in Cedarburg, so I'm not all that close....send me a pm with some times you're available and I'll see if it sync's up with my schedule.

I've yet to do this particular procedure, but maybe between the two of us we can figure it out...

Pat

Just remember, you jarheads are a branch of the navy:beer: I'm not blind to the irony that we always call on you guys to bail us out and it might just be you bailing me out of my mechanical inexperience with bikes. And I might not be able to ride into any fights after I tell my wife that I bought this and she brakes my neck...

Like I said...can't help you with breaking the news to your wife...I bought a $250 bike and have dumped just north of $1200 in to it. All I can tell you is, I sell a lot of nickel and dime stuff on eBay and try to save up and buy individual bits one at a time over the winter. That's the way I've kept my spend "under the radar"!

In all seriousness, I'm more than willing to lend a hand...just let me know.

Just remember, you jarheads are a branch of the navy:beer: I'm not blind to the irony that we always call on you guys to bail us out and it might just be you bailing me out of my mechanical inexperience with bikes. And I might not be able to ride into any fights after I tell my wife that I bought this and she brakes my neck...

If I was closer I would bail both of you out. I got used to doing that in the Coast Guard. ... :stirthepot:

:rotf:

Pat

Maybe we can both head up there and triple team it.

I can pack my favorite BFH.

I also have a puller that has successfully pulled that flywheel.

who knows what some flying ability will add to the conversation..........

:soapbox:So this is the story of my evil bike. First I can't get the cover off. The great Dano pm's me and I warn Lucy that I have the number of one of the greats. Magically the cover just decides to pop off. :confused:Then comes the epic battle I have read so much about. I hook up my heavy-duty puller and bust out the impact. Nothing. Had it tight almost to bolt breaking point. I sit back on my haunches and glare. That's when it decides to free up and deliver a hay maker to my baby maker...:eek:. So that's my story. I will be sitting on a bag of ice for a while...

:soapbox:So this is the story of my evil bike. First I can't get the cover off. The great Dano pm's me and I warn Lucy that I have the number of one of the greats. Magically the cover just decides to pop off. :confused:Then comes the epic battle I have read so much about. I hook up my heavy-duty puller and bust out the impact. Nothing. Had it tight almost to bolt breaking point. I sit back on my haunches and glare. That's when it decides to free up and deliver a hay maker to my baby maker...:eek:. So that's my story. I will be sitting on a bag of ice for a while...

Glad to hear you got it off,,,,,, but,,,, I think I told you to stand aside,,, maybe that wasn't clear enough,,,, feel better now?

Yikes!

Walk slowly....sit carefully...suggest you don't go play golf for a while...

I hate it when that happens...

Hope you feel better fast...