IGNORED

Too Good to be True?

RedRider

Saw this ad on ADVRider and couldn't believe it. It has to be too good to be true.

2008 KLR650 for $500. This is even better than Puc's Crud for $1000 - well, maybe not.

I bought it and my son is driving up from Phoenix to ABQ to pick it up. Will know in a couple of hours how bad it is.

Heck, the extras are worth the $500. If the bike is salvageable, it is just a bonus.

We shall see.

RR

Seems like I remember some issues with the KLR's that had something to do with the topend,,,, seems like there was a fix they needed,, if memory serves,, it was called the "dohickey" fix or something... Maybe,, just maybe,,, thats all it needs to be a rider:fingers-crossed-emo:thumbsup:... Regardless,, THAT is a steal for Dual Sport scoot of that caliber!! Hope it works out RR!!!

Didn't think of that --- Here is the text of the ad:

2008 KLR 650

This being a KLR, it needs a little putting together.

This being a KLR, it also has a ton of farkles, installed and others new/uninstalled.

Approximate mileage 15,000 - the odometer stopped working at 7,433 but I always had a GPS on so kept track of it. One owner.

685 kit done

doohickey done

KLR650.com skidplate.

Eagle Mike fork brace

Carb adjustment screw

Fuse block

grip heaters

klr650.com luggage rack and boxes

Uninstalled farkles:

brand new Givi crash bars

SW Motech tall, tinted windscreen (new)

oem windscreen

stebel horn

dash kit for gauges and electronic clock/meter

auto meter brand clock and voltmeter

extra clutch/brake levers

set of mirrors

locking oil cap

Powerbuilt brand 1500LB atv/motorcycle lift

It has expired AZ registration (Oct 2012), I have the title and will send the release of liability/transfer paper to the MVD

Last ridden two years ago; it has been parked outside for one year. When I put it in storage, I ran STAB-IL through it and drained the tank.

$500 firm please

Call/text

Damien

(520) xxx-xxxx

[\quote]

RR

$500 must be the number this week! I just bought a 16 foot Pontoon boat for $500. It needs seats and carpet and I'll be pulling the electric motors off it in favor of a 40 or 50HP outboard.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160513/cbd4ac5b9719e159481686644a5a494a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

$500 must be the number this week! I just bought a 16 foot Pontoon boat for $500. It needs seats and carpet and I'll be pulling the electric motors off it in favor of a 40 or 50HP outboard.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

WOWZY RAGGY!!:178:

That sweetheart looks like a VR Meet n Greet just waiting to happen!!:guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2: Dibs on the upstairs floor for setting up my tent on:rotfl:

I once bought a bad motor from one of these.

It had no compression, Popped the valve cover and there was a pieced of the valve train broken off an loose in the cam valley,

Rest of the motor was fine. I chucked the head and sold the rest in parts.

NMaybe you just need a head.

Sounds like two great deals found. Wish I could find a deal like that on a houseboat at Lake Cumberland. :) We are looking but it will take a heck of a deal before we can do it.

Hey Boss,, I know we're not suppose to wheel and deal in the Swimming Pool here but just an FYI - I got one of those P.T. boats I will sell ya for a couple hundreds bucks.. Its located over on the east side of Michigan,,, just pay pal me the money and go get it.. Best time for pickup is between 1 and 5am.. Pay no attention to the Bearded guy with the sawed off shotgun if he happens to be around - I emptied all his shotgun shells last time I was over there and the "bang" you might hear is just a primer bang.. Here's a pic of the P.T. - let me know and I will send you an address for pick up!!

KLR engine won't produce more than about 25HP anyway. Might want to stick to the marine outboard.

Anyway - the KLR Kaper was entirely successful! 2008 KLR650 with a 685 kit installed, doohickey done, full aluminum panniers, skid plate, heated grips, multiple windshields, motorcycle jack, boxes of extra parts. Looks in near perfect shape. Son reports even the tires and chain/sprockets look good. He signed the title which is in his name and has a matching VIN. $500. It is in my son's truck heading towards Phoenix.

The seller was moving and needing to simplify his life by getting rid of stuff. The KLR was one of the stuff he needed to get rid of. Will have better pictures tomorrow.

We are still trying to determine the catch. It is just too good to be true.

20160512_195052-M.jpg20160512_195103-M.jpg20160512_195033-M.jpg

RR

Edited by RedRider

KLR engine won't produce more than about 25HP anyway. Might want to stick to the marine outboard.

Anyway - the KLR Kaper was entirely successful! 2008 KLR650 with a 685 kit installed, doohickey done, full aluminum panniers, skid plate, heated grips, multiple windshields, motorcycle jack, boxes of extra parts. Looks in near perfect shape. Son reports even the tires and chain/sprockets look good. He signed the title which is in his name and has a matching VIN. $500. It is in my son's truck heading towards Phoenix.

The seller was moving and needing to simplify his life by getting rid of stuff. The KLR was one of the stuff he needed to get rid of. Will have better pictures tomorrow.

We are still trying to determine the catch. It is just too good to be true.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105313[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]105314[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]105315[/ATTACH]

RR

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

and ENDLESS :ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886

Few years ago I ran into a group of guys from Germany riding those puppys out at the Sturgis Rally.. Said it was all they could find for rental bikes within a few state area.. Those guys were having the time of their lives playing in the mountains on those puppies and I know for a fact they had wayyyyy more than a few hundred bucks just in rental:biker:!!:sign Rock On: GREAT FIND RR!!!:guitarist 2:

............... Wish I could find a deal like that on a houseboat at Lake Cumberland. .....

We have been looking at house boats also.. Some of them we looked at were so wore out they should be sunk...Those that look really nice, I would have to go back to work again..:mo money:

I would like to find a good deal on one near us though.

He has been going through the boxes of stuff that came with the bike. Garmin Street Pilot 2720 (in perfect shape) with a mount already installed on the bike. 6 oil filters, 3 inner tubes, extra mirrors, a Wolfman tank bag.

Unbelieveable!!

RR

The forum ADVrider has some great deals along with great people. I've done a few transactions including just coming back from Texas last week w Steve to pick up a sweet razor trailer. Matter of fact, I drove about 890 miles to Texas , bu this guy drove over 1100 miles to meet me from Arizona. I've had great luck w the people on that site. Congrats...

Funny!

It looks just like the one my friend had stolen, along with his son's little dirt bike and the trailer they were both sitting on, from his driveway last fall. (True story.)

Doesn't have KM/H on top and MP/H on the bottom of the speedo does it?! :stickpoke: (Just kidding.)

I bought my Tenere because my friend Jason has the KLR (The Ins. Co. payed out & he got a new one.) and my other friend has the V-Strom. For some reason I was having trouble on the Venture following them to the places they kept taking me!

I'm really starting to discover my kid again on these "Adventure" bikes, back to the bikes when I 1st started ridding motorcycles, the enduros I had then. Maybe not as crazy in the dirt as I used to be, after all I'm not a kid anymore. But these bikes are capable of going pretty much anywhere. And getting to the middle of nowhere from somewhere, they're more then comfortable on the highway. In the case of the Tenere I'd say even more so as a long distance tourer.

Your son should have a blast with that KLR!

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the KLR.

My son put a new battery in it, added some gas, and it fired right up. Shifted up and down through the gears, and the brakes stopped it like they should.

Too good to be true.

Next week's challenge - title and plates. Everything appears to be in order, just can't for the life of me figure out the catch as to why this was only $500.

RR

• 3 weeks later...

Update - As hoping to avoid - there were title issues. Apparently, in AZ the seller needs his signature notarized. (It still has an AZ title. The previous owner did not retitle it in NM when he moved). Son contacted PO and he is willing to do this, but is heading off to Peru (country) for a couple of months. Will need to wait until he gets back.

HOWEVER, WI does not have this requirement. Signed (un-notarized) title was mailed up to me and the bike is now titled and plated in WI. Titled in the name RedRider -OR - RedRiderSon. That way, he can get it retitled in AZ by himself (or sell it) since it only needs one of our signatures to release.

Therefore, the circle has closed and my son now has a perfectly running and legally titled/plated KLR for $500 (plus a couple hundred in tltle/plate/tax fees). It just took a couple of weeks longer than expected.

RR