IGNORED

A Bucket List Trip. Or how I will spend my summer.....

The Tooch

Some of you may not really care but a few of you know I'm doing a trip with a group of other retired guys that I ride with this summer. We are leaving May 24th and won't be back until sometime early July. We are leaving our return date open ended as we don't want to feel any pressure along the way that we have to be home by a certain date. The only thing we want to do is be down in the south in June to avoid the real heat. We also have to be in Las Vegas to meet one of our guys who is flying down to meet us & renting a bike. (He was going to ship his bike but renting is cheaper.) He may have to hang out in Vegas a day or two waiting. Or we may get there early and have to wait for him.

This is is the reason I won't make it to MarCarl's meet, MD and might not be back for the Canadian rally.

My friend Steve has worked at setting up a blog for our trip which shows our planned route and some possible alternates. (Sorry fella's the pass is snowed in.) The stuff he has posted so far and tests he's done for video look pretty good. If anyone is interested in following along with our progress and wants to see picture and videos. He will be posting most days. Here is our blog link.......

https://friendsandriders.wordpress.com/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@TheTooch, looks great!

Only suggestion is to check in California and Oregon with regards to rt 101. They do tend to have slides that close the road or the road itself breaks off and leaves a gap. With the rain some areas have had on the coast... Last minute road conditions check might be important.

I will be following the blog.....I enjoy reading and looking at pics and videos of rides!

Thanks for sharing.

:scared:,, well shake me silly, rattle my cage and call me crazy if ya gotta but put ME on the list of those who really really do care!!! WHAT AN AWESOME TRIP YOU GUYS GOT PLANNED THERE BROTHER!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup::thumbsup:!!!

I can not WAIT to follow along on this one - living life thru your experience bother!!!:thumbsup:

:think:You guys gonna be camping along the way or you planning on Moteling? :lightbulb:It would a BLAST to plan a "Pucs Meet - Greet and Eat Meat" somehow to coincide with your ride plans.. Give us a chance to see you and your group off in a royal fashion!! Is the route thru the lower peninsula of Michigan you show on your trip plan going to be at the start of your epic ride or at the end Dave?

LOOKS AWESOME TOOCH - CONGRATS,,, RIDE SAFE AND HAVE A BALL OUT THERE!!:thumbsup:

Just a couple of suggestions for your trip. Before we did our bucket list trip, Aussie Annie suggested going by the Crazy Horse memorial in South Dakota. I had never heard of it before but it was an awesome sight.

The other one is convenient to Yellowstone/Beartooth Pass. In Cody, WY there is the Buffalo Bill Center of the West (https://centerofthewest.org/), basically 5 museums that are very well done.

Looks like a fun trip.

Think you already know Dave how thrilled I am for you and your buddies, especially as it is the best way I can think of to celebrate a great career. Also excited about your blog which I have already checked out and will follow. Your note about possibly going to Glacier National Park and doing the Going to the Sun ride (which I strongly recommend) triggered a specific and special memory from our own Venture West. I believe that one of the best places by far to stay while in that area is East Glacier. The town itself is amazing, and also close to the eastern end of the Sun road. I specifically recommend checking out the cabins at the Dancing Bears Inn. In fact, I recommend that you ask the owner about his own cabin a mile or so from the Inn that they also sometimes also rent out. It was the best place that we stayed at on our entire 5 week trip and would be fabulous for your group of guys, and the price is right.

• 3 weeks later...
Think you already know Dave how thrilled I am for you and your buddies, especially as it is the best way I can think of to celebrate a great career. Also excited about your blog which I have already checked out and will follow. Your note about possibly going to Glacier National Park and doing the Going to the Sun ride (which I strongly recommend) triggered a specific and special memory from our own Venture West. I believe that one of the best places by far to stay while in that area is East Glacier. The town itself is amazing, and also close to the eastern end of the Sun road. I specifically recommend checking out the cabins at the Dancing Bears Inn. In fact, I recommend that you ask the owner about his own cabin a mile or so from the Inn that they also sometimes also rent out. It was the best place that we stayed at on our entire 5 week trip and would be fabulous for your group of guys, and the price is right.

Thanks Evan

We all talked about this since you sent the message and we are going to do our best to try and get that cabin.

Stay tuned!

Tooch......in the Black Hills, ride around to Crazy Horse from the northwest and then to Mt. Rushmore. The tunnels on that route that frame the monument are fabulous.

In southern Utah, be sure to ride across Rt. 12 , the Grand Staircase Escelante. That road is truly breathtaking.

It it looks like you are going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and that is absolutely the way to do it. It is so much better than the other tourist infested side. Also, on the way, check out Kanab, Utah. It is the number 1 movie town for westerns.

Cody WY also has a rodeo every single night that is way cool.

I trust you will have the time of your life! Be safe and enjoy every minute!