IGNORED

Anybody need a job?

Freebird

I think I would face the other way so I'm not chiselling between myself and the arm.

I've. Seen cartoons of characters cutting branches off trees that way...it never ends well!

Unless he didn't want the view so close...he'd rather look at the solid arm.

Sounds kind of like this job

Seen that before and the thought just occurred to me ... why don't they just lower the guy from a 'copter? That's one LOOOOOOONG climb up. 'nuther thought ... wonder if he rappels down .... or maybe just jumps and parachutes down??

I'm guessing that since it is a guyed tower, you do not want anything airborne anywhere near it. It is also a whole lot cheaper to pay those 2 guys a couple hours pay to climb and another couple hours pay to climb down that what it would cost for a helicopter and pilot plus the 2 man crew.

I used to hang out of helicopters, over building roofs and such...filming. No more. Just the thought of standing on a Heli's skids and shooting an air action scene scares the poop out of me.

I won't even get on my roof now without someone around to call 911 if I fall.

Interesting that we realize how precious life is the older we get...

I was an electrician for about 20 years. The last 12 years of that was a power plant in NE Texas. We had three smoke stacks, the tallest being 640 ft. There were capacitance discharge lights on top that had to be maintained. I think there was about 60 electricians there at the time and only about 6 of us were willing to climb the stack and work on the lights. There was no elevator that would take you part of the way and no winding stairs. Just a ladder straight up the side with a couple of platforms to rest if you needed to. The worse time was during some maintenance on the stack and they had the walkway around the top torn out. One of the lights went out so I had go go up and repair it. I got to the top to find no grating there and only 2 x 6 boards placed around the top. They would bounce as you walked around. It was scary but you got used to it and got the job done. I told them many times that the concrete was deteriorating and needed some attention. Was never taken seriously. I eventually left that job and about a year after I left, I saw on the national news that the stack and fallen. Apparently they were doing some cleaning inside at the bottom and bumped the side or something. Due to the deterioration that I and others had warned them about, that 640 ft. stack fell. Two or three people were killed.

I'm glad I'm retired,,, just gives me the willies looking at that fool video,,,, wondering who in their right mind would put up such a structure and who took the forming off once the concrete set, and did they carry it down to use again, or just drop it,,,, did they take a lunch and where oh where did they go,,,,, well you know, everybody needs to do that eh?