IGNORED

i need help

Guest jbell

Guest jbell

i have a 1986 yamaha venture royale i am having problems with.i am leaking gas through the overflow tubes on the cabs.i have taken them all out and tore them apart cleaned them thoroughly with carb cleaner,and ran small wires through the jet holes.when that is done i put them back on my bike and as long as i start the bike and let it sit they dont leak,but when i get on it and ride and park it they start leaking.just 1 at a time.does any body know what might be wrong.i am getting very frustrated with this problem,and dont know what else to do.if you have a suggestion please e-mail me at su4cojo@yahoo.com it is just easier for me to deal with you through the e-mailing.i am quite new to this site and still cant figure it out yet.i know dkaiser had the same problem with his i tried to contact him but no responce. thank you very much:confused24:

I am not a great mc mechanic, but I think that there must be a float problem: ie, out of adjustment, stuck needle valve (open) . I may not be correct, but it seems to me the only reason that fuel would come out of the overflows, is that they are flooded with fuel therefore, the float valves are not closing, dirty, worn or something like that.

That is my two cents, I wish I could help you more.

Good luck

Sky Pilot

If you don't mind taking the carbs off again, I'd check the needles to see if they have a build up of white crusty stuff on the surfaces that make contact with the ID of the seat housing, which causes them to not slide up and down freely.

If you do, you can sand them off with some 1500 grit wet paper.

Steve

Guest jbell

thank you sky pilot.like i said it started with 1 i believe the #3 so we took it out and tore it apart cleaned it up and bent the float so it could close a little better.put it back on the bike took it around the block and parked it and it started leaking on another carb.so here we go again took the other 3 out and cleaned and adjusted them put ithem back on took it aroud the block and whammo started again.:rotf::confused24:

Hi Jbell

First off you do not bend the floats to adjust them, There is a screw on each carb to set the float level and to do this you use a clear hose hooked to the carb and then with the bike running you adjust the floats to a given level as stated in the manual. It is hard to tell you how to do it but all the info is in the service manual with step by step instructions. It sounds like it is a float problem so please find a manual to get the right info out of and then reset yur carbs the right way. I think this will take care of your problem.

Hope this helps you.

Bikenut

1986 Venture

2006 Venture:confused24:

Completly Drain your gas tank.

Completly Drain all the carb bowls.

Get a can of " Sea-Foam" fuel system cleaner.

Use one can for 1/2 tank of fuel, run engine every day for about 1/2 hour.

Drain carb bowls, after each run.

Give the stuff a few days to clean out the system.

Might cure the problem.

You could also use Valvoline Synthetic Fuel Injector Cleaner, Good stuff.

Your problem is usually caused by Sticking Float Valves.

Guest JMAC71

How many miles are on the bike? It being a 1986, 22 years old, it could be that the needle and seat need to be replaced. I have seen that a couple times cause problems on older bikes. If there isn't white corrosion on them, then that would be my next guess. If they keep leaking until it drains the tank down low or you turn the fuel off, then I would think it would be more the needle and seat or white corrosion instead of the float levels. IF you have the float levels out of adjustment however, they will need to be put back to the right level. Hope this helps.

Jerry

Hi Jbell

First off you do not bend the floats to adjust them, There is a screw on each carb to set the float level and to do this you use a clear hose hooked to the carb and then with the bike running you adjust the floats to a given level as stated in the manual. It is hard to tell you how to do it but all the info is in the service manual with step by step instructions. It sounds like it is a float problem so please find a manual to get the right info out of and then reset yur carbs the right way. I think this will take care of your problem.

Hope this helps you.

Bikenut

1986 Venture

2006 Venture:confused24:

Could please explain where that Screw would be ?

I never would have gone through the Odd of multiple dismounting the Carbs while setting the Float Level through the old fashioned Method of bending the Tongue of the Floater.

jJbell, please don't tinker around with guessing the Float level.

Take the Carbs off, dismount them and give them a intense Cleaning, check the Float Level while sitting the Carb in a old Fish Bowl with some Fuel in until it fits the Specs on all four Carbs. If you set the Float Level too low, you might burn a Hole in a Piston when you go on full Throttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, did ya get it fixed? Mine had what I thought was a similar problem only leaking when I shut it off, what mine turned out to be were the rubber O ring on the carb drain screws. That screw may need to be cleaned inspected for damage and also check the screw seat for any grit that may not let it close all the way,:080402gudl_prv: Good luck

A couple things to check for;

1) Make sure you visibly inspect the needle tips. They are Viton rubber and very durable, but over time can have a groove or depression take a set. So how do you check them? With the bowl OFF and fuel applied to the carb, you sould be able to close the float with your finger and see fuel flow stop. (Do this in a safe area, with a fire extinguisher nearby)

2) One frequently overlooked area is the float itself. Either the float pontoons catch the side of the float bowl, or the hinge pin backs out or binds. Check both carefully.

• 3 years later...

All of the above suggestions are good ones, check them all out, and let us know what you find. Its easiest in the long run to check one thing at a time, then test to see if that cures the problem. Here are three more things to check along with all the above.

I have heard that bowl gaskets can sometimes be a little bit too big , and the float can get caught on them. I personally, trim the bowl gasket back to a minimum, very judiciously and check the float to see any possible marks where it could be rubbing. I have also heard that casting flash on the sides of floats can interfere so if you have plastic floats and they have casting flash on them, use sandpaper or whatever to clean them up and get them smooth. Also, floats can have pinholes and actually end up with gas inside of them , causing them to sink and allow a high level of gas, take the float out, drop it in a pan of boiling water and see if the high heat causes the thing to offgas any air bubbles, if it does, replace that float if its plastic, or solder it shut after you get all the fluid drained out if its metal. When taking the float out, be extremely careful not to put excess pressure on the posts of the float of the carb when removing the pin since that pin can break if you put a lot of pressue on it and the pins tend to hang up, use a sidecutters to grasp the head of the pin, and gently hammer the sidecutters to remove the pin. Be very careful not to put excess pressure on the post. There are homebuilt tool s that can be made to also eliminate any side pressure on posts, these are on the order theoretically of bicycle chain tools where one part of the tool holds the post steady while a movable pin is turned to push the pin out . Also, I have trimmed those pins down once out with sandpaper to smooth them out thus making them a few thousandths smaller making them slip out easier for next time. Other than what the other guys say, this is all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by yamtom

While problem solving suggestions are worthwhile and always appreciated, I was just wondering if you noticed that the thread you are responding to was last updated more than three years ago. I imagine he has fixed his problem by now.

Andy

AMEN

:farmer:

• 2 months later...