IGNORED

Well, that's it. My career in military SAR Is over....

Great White

26 years in military SAR and it looks like its over.

I'm finally busted up enough that they're looking at bouncing me out the door. It's just as well I guess; last time I did the fitness test I passed (did better than the 18-20 year old bucks), but it also broke me for a couple weeks. The young bucks are in better shape for sure, but they don't have the mental discipline to push it past the limits like the old guys do. Running across the final scramble line I heard a pop and my back went out in the usually spot on the disc. I'm coming due again and could probably pass if I pushed myself too far like last time, but I'm sure it would break me again for a couple weeks like last time. I think it's time I stopped with that kind of thing.....

But it's not all bad, a medical release has many more benefits attached to it than a regular release.

It also looks like I'll be accommodated to at least year 27, which would put me at a 54% pension. I lost some of that to the ex-wife a long time ago, so it won't quite be 54%. Probably more in the 45-50% range. Still, not that bad, that should put me somewhere in the 30-40 g range and the wife is still working at a 60G+ a year job n=and she plans at least another 10 years before even looking at retirement (she's 10 years younger than me). So, if I make around 40-50G (gross) that would probably maintain our standard of living as it currently sits.

I've also got a couple medical restrictions that Veterans has yet to pay out for. Should come in around 60G. Great thing about that is its tax exempt, which makes it more like getting close to 100G.

Med release also indexes my pension to the rate of inflation from the first day I'm out. I think the rate is somewhere between 1.5-2% per annum.

MedR tops up my pension to 75% for the first two years after release and they pay for two years retraining at an occupation of my choice. They literally pay for everything, right down to travel back and forth to my spouse's location on weekends if my schooling is elsewhere.

I also get a severance package, which is somewhat of a rare benefit these days. They froze that several years ago since they are ceasing that benefit (like most places these days), but a MedR is different and it "unfreezes" that rate. Basically, the recipient receives credit for the years since the freeze in the calculations, which means more $$ for the recipient. That should come in around somewhere in the the 25-35 G (gross) range. That money will go into an account/investment to pay/help pay for my daughter's education.

I gotta say, Med release is a very generous package. But in the other hand, I can't count how many people's lives have been saved as a result of sacrificing my body and mind. Even the last flight I did before they grounded me I puled 4 guys off a boat as it sunk beneath the last guys feet. That's not a bad note to leave my flying career on I guess. Maybe it all comes out even in the end, dunno. I have very mixed feelings on it.....

I've already been "felt out" by a couple SAR organizations to join them post military, but I'm not sure I want to (or even can) get back into a SAR aircraft.

My real quandary is what the heck do I do once out?

I'm 50 now and everything I'm interested in has some sort of apprenticeship period.

Who the heck is going to hire a 53-ish year old apprentice?

It seems even the young bucks have a hard time getting on somewhere these days.

If I take a trade and assuming I get through an apprenticeship, I'll still need something I can transfer between provinces (wife is still in military and will likely move every 2-5 years). That means red seal trade at least. Which is yet another hurdle to jump before I start making income. Even harder if we're moving around.

Not to mention, by the time I do make it to a journeyman, I'll be pushing 60. Nearly time to retire for good then.

I would like to get into some of the "metal" trades (welding, fabrication, machinist, etc) but they're all in the apprentice category and you need red seal to be interprovincial. I thought about going back to school to get my autotech license back, but apprenticeship again to get back to journeyman. AME is an option, but apprenticeship again and you're somewhat limited in Canada for job locations. I thought maybe NDT, but the quals seem to be impossibly difficult to get (bureaucracy), apprenticeships and the bulk of it seems to be piecemeal work in Alberta with oil companies (I have absolutely zero interest in alberta and big oil work). I've even thought about opening my own small shop in something like small engines or motorcycle work, but that market seems pretty flooded everywhere I've lived. Plus, by the time it takes to get a small business viable, it would be time for the wife to move provinces again......

I guess I'm just sort of vetching here, it's all pretty new. Just found out about this 2 days ago. Although I could also see the writing on the wall a while ago. The whole process is going to take a min of -12 months, so I have some time to think about my options.

I know lots of guys get to this point without these options/benefits. I guess I'm at least lucky that way.....

Edited by Great White

Congrats! and Thank You for your service. I think I would be looking at a 2nd career/hobby that would be alot easier on your body. All that income is no fun if you arent feeling good enough to enjoy it. Maybe take all your years of experience in that field and do some type of consulting work? Rather then re-inventing the wheel, take what you know and look for a niche business to apply it? You would be your own boss, own hrs.

Best of luck in whatever you do.

Craig

Thank you for your service, I am sure a lot of sailors also thank you for being you and the sacrifices you have made.

Sounds like you are pretty well set for the future.

Are you looking for another job for additional income or more just to have something to do. If it is more for something to do there are a lot of charities that always need volunteers to help out. Maybe you could still be involved in the SAR system but just not doing the grunt work. It is just as important to direct the crew to the rescue as it is to make the rescue. Or even to teach the new guys how to do it right. This way you are still doing what you like and already have a wealth of knowledge about.

I would also like to thank you G.W. for your of service in the Military and congratulate you on your retirement - WELL DONE brother! :clap2::clap2:

All the best in what ever direction you choose as you anticipate your next career move. With spring right around the corner and all kinds of great VR Rally opportunities you could take the pre-spring time to finish that amazing bike project you have going. Then climb on that puppy and chase its front wheel all over North America, meet some of the crazy varmints here on VR and get some touring time to clear the mind.. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your service, I am sure a lot of sailors also thank you for being you and the sacrifices you have made.

Sounds like you are pretty well set for the future.

Are you looking for another job for additional income or more just to have something to do. If it is more for something to do there are a lot of charities that always need volunteers to help out. Maybe you could still be involved in the SAR system but just not doing the grunt work. It is just as important to direct the crew to the rescue as it is to make the rescue. Or even to teach the new guys how to do it right. This way you are still doing what you like and already have a wealth of knowledge about.

Nah, not ready to live on a pension income yet.

Need money for my automotive addictions.....

I would also like to thank you G.W. for your of service in the Military and congratulate you on your retirement - WELL DONE brother! :clap2::clap2:

All the best in what ever direction you choose as you anticipate your next career move. With spring right around the corner and all kinds of great VR Rally opportunities you could take the pre-spring time to finish that amazing bike project you have going. Then climb on that puppy and chase its front wheel all over North America, meet some of the crazy varmints here on VR and get some touring time to clear the mind.. :thumbsup:

Nope, touring NA would involve our 35 foot travel trailer.

35 feet dedicated to hauling two people. No bunk house model here!

:)

Only bummer is it's not a toy hauler.

I suppose I could always build a hydraulic lift for the truck......;)

This was my last flight in SAR:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/4-p-e-i-fishermen-perched-on-sinking-boat-s-bow-rescuer-1.3133379

Not a bad way to go out.

:)

Edited by Great White

As one who flew for the civil side of SAR, I recognize and appreciate all that you've done over the many years. It is not an easy occupation but I'm sure you have many gratifying memories to take with you. All the best in the coming years.

Hope you get more time to get out riding. :canada: :beer: :63:

As one who flew for the civil side of SAR, I recognize and appreciate all that you've done over the many years. It is not an easy occupation but I'm sure you have many gratifying memories to take with you. All the best in the coming years.

Hope you get more time to get out riding. :canada: :beer: :63:

I do have many good memories, but I have just as many nightmares.....unfortunately, that's one of the main reasons I'm being offered the golden handshake....

Sounds like your military retirement is way better than ours. Still I am fortunate to have served with the guys and gals I did. Was good life. Certainly not anywhere the retirement pay your looking at.

Regular release has far less benefits. 2% per year and severance is pretty much it.

take the money and run...i worked 35 years for canada post retired in 06..pension indexed for life...got a 3 day week job delivering bikes for dealer and now due to large US $$ going to auctions and driving back high end cars for auction...lots of part time jobs for old govt guys..we are dependable as compared to young ones...30-40 a year is more than most make working 40+ a week....relax dont get another job..use your hobby skills to enjoy rest of time...its great having govt send money to stay home...retired in 06 at 53 years old.had a daughter in university and a wife that also worked....you got your benifits and health let young guys work forever..my .02$ worth

yup, toolnut nailed it, take the money and run. retired full time at 52 with 32 years full time career. First year retirement was a little dicey with adjustments. 12 years later, appreciate every minute of life. Like they say, "need a job to get some rest"

Not to mention the 24 weeks/yr I get to spend on the ol'87 with my wife, the perfect travelling companion.

good luck with your choices GW.

I'm thinking to retrain at metal fab/welding (they pay for it after all) and open my own shop to do piecemeal work to keep busy and supplement income.

Stuff like trailer construction and such.

It also would let me build a nice big workshop and tool it while writing it off as a business on taxes.....;)