IGNORED

3rd new battery since October

dogman

Hello and Merry Christmas to all of you.

I have a question for anyone who can pass along some advice or opinions.

I have an 07 Midnight Venture. I just replaced the battery near the end of September. Since then I have only been on short bike rides. After a week or two the bike wouldn't start or take a battery tender charge. I took it back to the dealer and they replace it under warranty. It happened again to the next battery and they exchanged another new one. This one also wouldn't start the bike after a few rides. They charged it up and said the battery is good.

Any thoughts?

Would it be the stator? If so, how difficult is it to get at?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Hi there Dogman

For sure something is going on. Here are a couple of things to consider. First a lot of super automatic chargers will not work properly on a motorcycle battery. Instead they report the battery as defective and shut off. So be careful of that. It is not uncommon for the RSV to develop a parasitic drain on the battery which will deplete it's charge. If the parasitic draw is even minimally substantial many maintainers cannot overcome it and the battery will still go dead. Drains are frequently found in the audio system ( CD changers are a common culprit). You might have to track it down with a good meter. Then of course there is the charging system. The stator, r&r or wiring could be causing you grief.

Good Luck

Mike

The first thing you need to do is check the charging system out. Initial test is easy.

Fully charge the battery. Check its voltage, should be about 12.6 - 12.8 volts. Start the motorcycle and observe the meter. If the reading has dropped slowly rev the motorcycle up. The voltage should rise to 14volts or more at a few thousand rpm. As you continue to rev higher the voltage should stop rising below 15 volts. If you're not getting 14-15volts at rpm you need to look into the charging system.

If you exceed 15 volts it's almost certain to be the regulator. The over voltage is cooking the batteries. If you're getting less than 14 volts you have more testing to do.

If the charging system is working properly you need to look for something drawing current with the motorcycle shut off.

What Is the Charging Voltage ??? Check that , If not at least 13.6 Volts, you have a charging problem.

Also, Check all wireing connections .

The Alternators on these bikes, are Notorious for burning out the Lower Coils, on the Stator Assemblies. !!

Possibly you have a bad Regulator.

Check the Studs, on both ends, of both Battery cables, for corrosioin, Resolder them !

I had the same problem with my 02. I found that if I had the radio or tape deck on and turned off the bike the battery would go dead in about 4-5 days. If I turned everything off first then turned off the bike the battery would keep its charge.

Hey Dave, no idea if you have Harbor Freight in Canada but I do know that ours has cheapy little Ohm Meters that work pretty dog (no pun intended :178:) gone good for what they are. I carry one of their meters on my bike with me everywhere I go, thinking I got mine with one of their freebie coupons but it seems like they were only 6 dollars anyway:happy34:

Those meters do have AC/DC voltage metering built into them - wouldnt trust em around higher voltages (man I hate to get nailed) but for 12 volt work they do work well. Need a pic or a part number?

Hey Dave, no idea if you have Harbor Freight in Canada but I do know that ours has cheapy little Ohm Meters that work pretty dog (no pun intended :178:) gone good for what they are. I carry one of their meters on my bike with me everywhere I go, thinking I got mine with one of their freebie coupons but it seems like they were only 6 dollars anyway:happy34:

Those meters do have AC/DC voltage metering built into them - wouldnt trust em around higher voltages (man I hate to get nailed) but for 12 volt work they do work well. Need a pic or a part number?

Thanks Puc. Sure send me the info. I will have to buy one and then figure what to touch with it. Haha. oops not that I guess

Thanks Puc. Sure send me the info. I will have to buy one and then figure what to touch with it. Haha. oops not that I guess

Here ya go Dave, this is the one I pack. Pretty simple to use really. In the link = Move the enlargement slide under the pic over so you get a good view. Move the pic around so you can see the bottom right of the meter. See where it shows the plug ins for meter leads? You put the black one in the "Com" hole and the red lead into the "V - ohm (represented by an upside down horseshoe) - mA" hole right above it. Rotate the dial around to "20" on the scale in the DCV category. Move the "Off - On" switch over to the On position and the digital readout on the meter should show a 0 (going by memory here). Now touch the red (+) lead on a battery's positive (+) post and the black (-) on a batterys negative (-) post and what ever voltage the battery contains will appear on the meter. For kicks you could play with a small flashlight battery, look at the side of it, probably read 1.5 volts on the battery, locate the + and the - ends of the battery, touch the leads accordingly and it should read read 1.5. Using your bike battery should show around 12 volts. Thing to remember is this does not necessarily show battery condition because what you are reading is voltage, not amperage (your not putting much of a load, if any, on the battery with this little meter) - BUT it is displaying what voltage is available and that is what your looking for. After ya get done playing with the meter and you wanna get down to work ya gotta figure out a way to connect the leads to the battery on the bike or your gonna need an extra set of hands cause your gonna want to raise the rpm (rev it a little) on the scoot so you can watch the meter rise as the r's come up. You should be able to wedge the pointers of the leads under the connectors on the + and - posts on the battery - I usually am able to do this. Use to be Radio Shack carried cheapy little alligator clamps that slid on the end of the meter probes but Radio Shack went under a couple years ago:8: and not sure where you will find them now - maybe an auto parts store - those work good to if you cant find a way to wedge the probes in. Dont have to worry much about getting the probes chris-crossed - if that happens you will just get a negative reading on the meter - the biggest thing is to remember to operate the meter in the range (the 20 volt marking is good for up to 20 volts) and choose AC or DC current properly (if your gonna play with house current or current directly from the stator on your bike you will need AC). Remember if your fooling with house current (120 Volt AC) it WILL poke ya pretty good if ya get ahold of it). Playing with 12 volts DC on the bikes is very safe as long as ya dont short out the wiring on the scoot and start a fire or something:doh:

So ya start the bike with the meter attached or start it with a friend standing there to turn the throttle a little for you, idling you touch the leads to the prospective posts on the battery and say you have 11.8 volts on the meter, a touch of the throttle and it should rise to like 13.8 or 14.5.. This is good!! If it doesnt rise you got problem in the charging system somewhere. Dont throw the little meter away even if you get good readings:D, you will find it handy for diagnosing all kinds of fun stuff:178: - can be used for ohming out the stator or even checking switches and finding bad wires if you should be inclined to run into one:no-no-no:. Besides, having your own meter is a lot like having your own jack knife:happy34: and guess what - border patrol people dont look at meters like its a weapon like they do jack knives = you get to show off your :Cartoon_397:ness and can come visit us for Hot Dogs without worry about bad boys like @ragtop69gs or some of our other buddies when crossing that :usa:/:canada:border :mugshot::big-grin-emoticon:!!

Here is a link to the meter I carry on my scoot,, looky looky its only 4 dollars online. Just got my latest Harbor flyer and they are 5.99 in there (same meter). Not sure what thats all about - :confused24:if Harbor would sell in store for online prices..

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-69096.html

****On a side note, usually I can tell whether or not my scoot is charging properly just by watching the headlight (easiest at night), let the bike idle - watch the light beam as I rev it a little - it will brighten slightly as I rev the motor and will stay brighter if I hold it at the higher R's. Reason for that is that most 12 volts batteries put out around 12 volts if they are any good. Like I said in my thesis, the system will usually show 13.8 volts or slightly higher when spinning up - that voltage difference will also show up in your lights being slightly brighter - make sense?

not hooked to battery

attachment.php?attachmentid=102872&d=1450842719

Hooked to battery..

attachment.php?attachmentid=102871&d=1450842719

DSCN2135.JPG

DSCN2131.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

PMJI,

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

I think this is what the Pucster was referring to....

Here ya go Dave, this is the one I pack. Pretty simple to use really. In the link = Move the enlargement slide under the pic over so you get a good view. Move the pic around so you can see the bottom right of the meter. See where it shows the plug ins for meter leads? You put the black one in the "Com" hole and the red lead into the "V - ohm (represented by an upside down horseshoe) - mA" hole right above it. Rotate the dial around to "20" on the scale in the DCV category. Move the "Off - On" switch over to the On position and the digital readout on the meter should show a 0 (going by memory here). Now touch the red (+) lead on a battery's positive (+) post and the black (-) on a batterys negative (-) post and what ever voltage the battery contains will appear on the meter. For kicks you could play with a small flashlight battery, look at the side of it, probably read 1.5 volts on the battery, locate the + and the - ends of the battery, touch the leads accordingly and it should read read 1.5. Using your bike battery should show around 12 volts. Thing to remember is this does not necessarily show battery condition because what you are reading is voltage, not amperage (your not putting much of a load, if any, on the battery with this little meter) - BUT it is displaying what voltage is available and that is what your looking for. After ya get done playing with the meter and you wanna get down to work ya gotta figure out a way to connect the leads to the battery on the bike or your gonna need an extra set of hands cause your gonna want to raise the rpm (rev it a little) on the scoot so you can watch the meter rise as the r's come up. You should be able to wedge the pointers of the leads under the connectors on the + and - posts on the battery - I usually am able to do this. Use to be Radio Shack carried cheapy little alligator clamps that slid on the end of the meter probes but Radio Shack went under a couple years ago:8: and not sure where you will find them now - maybe an auto parts store - those work good to if you cant find a way to wedge the probes in. Dont have to worry much about getting the probes chris-crossed - if that happens you will just get a negative reading on the meter - the biggest thing is to remember to operate the meter in the range (the 20 volt marking is good for up to 20 volts) and choose AC or DC current properly (if your gonna play with house current or current directly from the stator on your bike you will need AC). Remember if your fooling with house current (120 Volt AC) it WILL poke ya pretty good if ya get ahold of it). Playing with 12 volts DC on the bikes is very safe as long as ya dont short out the wiring on the scoot and start a fire or something:doh:

So ya start the bike with the meter attached or start it with a friend standing there to turn the throttle a little for you, idling you touch the leads to the prospective posts on the battery and say you have 11.8 volts on the meter, a touch of the throttle and it should rise to like 13.8 or 14.5.. This is good!! If it doesnt rise you got problem in the charging system somewhere. Dont throw the little meter away even if you get good readings:D, you will find it handy for diagnosing all kinds of fun stuff:178: - can be used for ohming out the stator or even checking switches and finding bad wires if you should be inclined to run into one:no-no-no:. Besides, having your own meter is a lot like having your own jack knife:happy34: and guess what - border patrol people dont look at meters like its a weapon like they do jack knives = you get to show off your :Cartoon_397:ness and can come visit us for Hot Dogs without worry about bad boys like @ragtop69gs or some of our other buddies when crossing that :usa:/:canada:border :mugshot::big-grin-emoticon:!!

Here is a link to the meter I carry on my scoot,, looky looky its only 4 dollars online. Just got my latest Harbor flyer and they are 5.99 in there (same meter). Not sure what thats all about - :confused24:if Harbor would sell in store for online prices..

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-69096.html

****On a side note, usually I can tell whether or not my scoot is charging properly just by watching the headlight (easiest at night), let the bike idle - watch the light beam as I rev it a little - it will brighten slightly as I rev the motor and will stay brighter if I hold it at the higher R's. Reason for that is that most 12 volts batteries put out around 12 volts if they are any good. Like I said in my thesis, the system will usually show 13.8 volts or slightly higher when spinning up - that voltage difference will also show up in your lights being slightly brighter - make sense?

not hooked to battery

attachment.php?attachmentid=102872&d=1450842719

Hooked to battery..

attachment.php?attachmentid=102871&d=1450842719

@dogman, notice the post time differences between VideoAZ and the ol Pucster,,,, :think:sometimes I might talk/type to much,, funny cause most of my teachers made that observation and made that same comment,, :scratchchin:even in College :rotf:

Dave as you know I am only 15 minutes or less away so if you get a chance call or PM me and we can set up a time to get together and check out your bike and see whats going on. Unless your buying substandard batteries or using a poor quality battery charger you either have a parasitic draw or your charging system is over charging and killing you batteries. I am more than happy to check it out for you.

dogman. There is a Princess Auto in Hamilton where you can get cheap tools like at Harbor Freight in the US. The prices are a little more due to us being Canadian and all.

Quick link to a similar multimeter that Puc posted http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/digital-multimeter/A-p8347676e

Almost everything at Princess Auto will go on sale at some point in time, so if you can wait to buy you can save a few $$. I have one I picked up at Canadian Tire for less than $15 (also on sale at the time).

Hope you find the problem before the bike eats another battery.

dogman. There is a Princess Auto in Hamilton where you can get cheap tools like at Harbor Freight in the US. The prices are a little more due to us being Canadian and all.

Quick link to a similar multimeter that Puc posted http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/digital-multimeter/A-p8347676e

Almost everything at Princess Auto will go on sale at some point in time, so if you can wait to buy you can save a few $$. I have one I picked up at Canadian Tire for less than $15 (also on sale at the time

Hope you find the problem before the bike eats another battery.

Thank you for the info and the link. Good to know that there is a Princess auto in Hamilton