IGNORED

Cassette tapes

Larry1963

I seen a couple comments on here on what to do with an outdated cassette tape deck. First question I have, does anyone still use theirs. I have not seen a cassette tape in years.

Second, you have to ask yourself, since the decline of cassette tapes started in the late 90s and about all washed out by 2001, why did Yamaha still include this with their bike. Why not upgrade to something that everyone can use.

My 07 comes with the 6 disk changer, I happen to own Cds but do not listen to them often, I stuck some good Kansas, Eagles, Boston, disk in there and sometimes switch to them. But even CDs are on the decline, with Pandora, and XM radio. If possible I would get rid of the CD changer and put in a XM radio. Not sure if anyone has things like that.

You would think someone would market a system that could take the place of all this, and upgrade.

On the fun side, I am looking for a good cassette tape to see if mine works.

Larry

:think: with a voice and singing abilities like mine I have yet to really find a need for a radio,,,,, Tip and I just do like I did with the kids back when one of them occupied the passenger seat, if we get tired of listening to music of the v-4, tires rolling down the road and yapping and need music, we just beller one out!! :fiddle::guitarist 2::biker:

PS, even if you cant tolerate the voices, skip to 1:30 in this video and check out the horses impeccable timing!! Even Willy don't have it this good!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by cowpuc

I disconnected my CD changer, gave it to a friend and tucked the cable away way before I had my Venture "triked". I use an MP3 (iPod and/or Sony) via the AUX plug. Way smaller, LOTS more music. I even drilled a small hole (very carefully to ensure it was lined up properly) thru the cassette player door to plug in the cable.

I DO, I DO!!!

I use my cassette player all the time. I have a cassette to 1/8 phone adapter that allows me to use my Ipod on the bike. One end plugs into the Ipod and the other end looks like a cassette tape. Works great. I do not have the aux jack to plug into.

I DO, I DO!!!

I use my cassette player all the time. I have a cassette to 1/8 phone adapter that allows me to use my Ipod on the bike. One end plugs into the Ipod and the other end looks like a cassette tape. Works great. I do not have the aux jack to plug into.

I use this same setup,works great!!

Guess I am the odd one because I still have a whole collection of cassettes and still play them in the truck on the bike and in the house all the time. Been meaning to get one of my kids to transfer the stuff to stick or I pod (cause I don't have the patience or finesse to do it). I really should push a little harder to either get one of them to do it or buckle down and do it myself before they start to tangle up. Some of the music on them you cannot find anymore and I already lost a couple favorite ones.

I too have a good collection of music on tape. I also still have a home tape unit so i can make my own mixes.

But just bought an XM receiver for the 2nd Gen....already have Xm built in to GMC, just so just need to add scoot to service.

I use an mp3 player with 1st gen since I have that wired in too.

But as Puc said...it's nice to listen to to road and the V4 as well!

No Saddlebum, not strange at all. In fact you just wrote exactly what I do, bet we're close to the same age ;-) I still play cassettes in my truck too and have no plans on trading it in. Sometime ago I was thinking of pulling the cassette deck out of the bike. Then my mom passed leaving a large collection of cassette tapes. So the cassette player stays and I enjoy both the old music and her memory while listening. I too would like one of the kids to transfer the tapes to digital but they do not have the time and no way to do it quickly. Because the tapes DO wear out. Each song has tobe played to be recorded/convereted to digital and they are not fond of the music either. For digital music I have several options. Several years ago on this site someone listed a cassette MP3 player. It uses a SD card (16GB) with recorded mp3 music and works in the cassette player (in the truck too) AND as a portable mp3 player with earplugs and a remote! (do a search on ebay for it, get the 16gb or larger one) When I retired my team gave me an iPod classic 160GB. I plug it into aux port behind the cassette door (use same plug from my GPS when I need turn by turn directions) I can listen to music for days with the iPod. So yes, I still use my cassette play in the Venture and in my 1994 Chevy C1500.

I have never put a tape in the cassette player and don't even know if it works and since I can't sing like Cowpuc I just use an I-Pod connected to the accessory port.

I made a face plate to cover the cassette door and then used 2 handlebar phone/GPS mounts.

Took the holders apart and placed them where the attaching holes aligned the holes in the face plate with the cover screw holes inside the cassette door.

Used longer screws, spacers and mounted the holders.

This set up allows me to use one for my phone or for connecting my GPS if needed and the other for phone or I-Pod.

Since I rarely use GPS I usually have my phone and I-pod mounted and charging.

I use a power plug with a built in USB plug splitter that allows me to plug 2 power cables at a time in the cig lighter/acc port.

A fastest way to get music playing using the accessory port is to use a long double male earphone jack cord and put the I-Pod or MP3 player in your jacket pocket.

Just remember to charge it from time to time.

IMG_3069.jpgIMG_3072.jpgIMG_3075.jpgMounts.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Edited by Zzyzx

I still have my stereo system I bought in 1970 complete with a Sansui 2000 tuner amp, turntable, and added a cassette deck and CD player later. I sold my 7" reel to reel tape deck way back. I have 20 or so cassettes. Tape recording is better than digital recording. But it is much easier to record and mix digital recordings. My 37 yr old son is a music recording engineer and has been Beyonce's recording engineer for the last 4 or so years.

I use my cassette player all the time! As an accessory holder that is.

I fashioned some 3/8 plywood in the shape of a cassette but a bit longer to clear the door then trimmed the holder off the back of my smartphone clip and off the back of my Garmin clip drilled and countersunk the clips and now I have two interchangeable holders positioned where I want them.

Heck you could make a longer insert drill a large hole and have a cup holder too! Lol!

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

I just gave about 40 cassette tapes to my neighbors son. He bought an 80's Ford Mustang convertible (the 4 cylinder) from his grandma for 1 dollar. The kid is 9 years old. He is as proud as proud can be. I told him that his car isn't complete unless he has some tapes to play. The car is all white, so they ziptied some horns to the grill. I told him to get a white suit and cowboy hat. And make sure to call money....samoleons. 9 year old Boss Hog.... Come to think of it, I think there was some Waylon Jennings in those tapes I gave him.

Thanks to Motiv for the great idea! I've been racking my brain trying to decide if I wanted to do major changes with the cassette (not that mechanically inclined, myself) but the plywood suggestion just might do the trick. Awesome ideas all round from many folk and dealing with many different subjects. This site is full of great information from very knowledgeable people and I'm grateful to have found you all. Membership soon to follow. Thankyou!

I use my cassette player all the time! As an accessory holder that is.

I fashioned some 3/8 plywood in the shape of a cassette but a bit longer to clear the door then trimmed the holder off the back of my smartphone clip and off the back of my Garmin clip drilled and countersunk the clips and now I have two interchangeable holders positioned where I want them.

Heck you could make a longer insert drill a large hole and have a cup holder too! Lol!

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

I need a cup holder

Cassettes can be had at thrift shops, Goodwill stores usually have some... and there are old vinyl record shops still in the world, those guys usually carry cassettes too. Saw a mention in the thread about a cassette mp3 player, I bought one and was unhappy with it. Made only in China and accepts a sd card, looks good. But once inserted and playing in the bike, the sound quality is very bad. Part of it is the effect you get when you have the sound on your mp3 player too high and the volume on the player off, you get bad output.... but running the cassette mp3 player down and adjusting volume on the bike, still a terrible output. Luckily the cassette mp3 player was dirt cheap......