IGNORED

State of the Site Address

Freebird

Don,

You know I don't post much but it seems you are truly troubled and seeking input. It I first crossed your path back in '99 and we were both on the VTS/MTA sites. I followed you here when you started up Venturerider.org and even joined a few of your other forums when you attempted to launch them. I've been here through 3 different Ventures. Two, 2 wheel and now my tike. I've witnessed you working to morph this into what exist today.

I am pretty much a solo rider and have never attended any ride-ins, It's definitely not because I don't like the folks here. That would be the furthest thing from the truth. It's just who I am. I am also what you would call, "mechanically challenged". Never was good with engines of any type. I'm saying all this to set the stage. I don't get to visit the site as often as I once did. I was also on the brink of leaving the membership at one point during some very tough economic times. That 12 bucks was hard to come by but I found a way to keep my membership. What I personally have gained here is access to and contact with some very great people that have helped me along the way. Sometimes it's just reading post by others about issues. Other times its hearing about a great trip that helps me plan. or dream about, a new adventure for myself.

What I hear everyone here saying is you have something "special". I couldn't agree more. You've now made it clear you do not intend to shut the site down, at least at this time. It takes a lot to maintain a forum like this and let's face it, there is always a cost. That said, there may be a day when we will all have to bare hearing you make that tough decision.

While not specifically stated, the forum has always been open to non-Yamaha brands but it is difficult to promote to them given the other available resources that are brand specific. The previously stated concept of expanding to try and include additional Yamaha / Star bike models is something to consider specifically keeping focus on the touring / adventure touring focus. As mentioned, whether Yamaha releases a 3rd generation Venture or not, there is a lot of activity in the market place especially the touring / adventure touring segment.

As technology moves on, things needs to adapt or they are left behind. I know you were around in the days of the dialup BBS! In the case of the forum, I've heard a few times about can the forum be made more mobile device friendly. I am not sure that is even possible with the current software used to administer the site. To be honest, I haven't tried in quite a while to access the site on my mobile so there may already be a mobile site available and I am not even aware. If not, this would probably be the other area to look toward to keep and possibly grow the membership. I work with very diverse team of people at my job and the number that only use their mobile devices and don't even own a computer continues amaze me.

It can be difficult o be all things to all people and like most organizations, things change as they stay around longer: growth, decreases in membership, structure and sometimes they have to totally reinvent themselves. Whatever the future holds for yourself and Venturerider.org, I am sure you will do your best to keep it a place people want to visit. For the information. For the enjoyment. For the people!

BTW, if I haven't said it for a while, Thanks to you, and the other members that make this place what it is!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way,, I had a couple teeth pulled a couple weeks ago to get ready for my a new life with my first shot at getting some partials. This being done by a new family dentist. Had a little trouble with one of those removed biters getting a "dry socket". After only my 3rd visit with this new dentist, the guy walks up to me sitting there in his dentist chair waiting for him and guess what the first words out of his mouth were? He says,,, "hows my favorite troublemaker's dry socket doing?" :confused24:

Fixed his little bandwagon,,, before my appointment was over I had invited him and his wife out to one of our Hot Dog Meet n Eats next summer to meet some REAL troublemakers

Does this mean we get a free dental exam with our hot dogs :confused24: That is, if we even have hot dogs. :witch_brew::stirthepot::stickpoke:

I sold my Venture a few years ago and went to a Goldwing. (Kind of kick myself for that because I miss that bike) I do drop in on other Bike sites but I find some very clicky and every post is met with little jabs. On this site everything is like one big family. There is so much info for any make or model of bike If possible maintain quoe.