IGNORED

The future of Motorcycles? I'm very depressed!!

VanRiver

I'd have thought that the motorcycle of the future would have a windshield and front fender. Maybe even a back seat!

And after 124 miles my current bikes just need some gas to keep going. What do you do to recharge the thing after 124 miles?

zag

Ever driven/ridden anything electric?

Maximum torque right at "throttle" opening.

Designed right, it's a rush like no other. Rubber roasting at will.

Not quite ready for mainstream yet though.

I've seen those things posted above before. German designer IIRC and wanted to distance himself from current motorcycles.

He did well if that was his intent. Looks kind of like riding a ladybug.

No thank you.

These are more my style of electric bikes:

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2014/09/brammo-electric-motorcycle-0000001.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

http://wordlesstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ZecOO-electric-motorbike-2.jpg

2013_zero-xu_product-page_overview-image_12816.jpg

http://gearmoose.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-zero-ds-electric-motorcycle.jpg

http://www.yankodesign.com/images/design_news/2011/07/21/shavit_01.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Harkey-Davidson-Electric-Motorcycle-INLINE-626x382.jpg

Yes, that's a Harley Davidson electric bike concept. Your eyes aren't deceiving you....they built it, it's ridable, it's called project livewire.

That's a Harley I would actually consider buying!

Electric bikes are coming gents. Once they get the battery technology limitations solved, there'll be mor ethan you can shake a stick at on the road. Especially in cities and towns.

They just won't look like that Andy Warhol wanna be thing (IE: lady bug).

Edited by Great White

IMHO, all is not lost!

Tip and I bumped into a person by the name of Terry Hershner a couple years ago. Terry was just outside of Moab at one of the few gas stations we found in the area. He was on an Iron Butt headed to some kind of an Electric Motorcycle Meet in Ohio. The fuel at this station was over 5 bucks a gallon giving us a total cost of fuel of over 20 bucks just for that tank. Terry's "recharge" at the station was free (about 1/2 hour to recharge) and good for about the same mileage as Tweeks on a "refuel" running 75/80 mph. His bike also has a top speed of 140 mph - of course, just like a dino fuel scoot - the harder ya push it the more fuel it takes.

Some folks are aware that Tweeks, Tip and I LOVE coasting, our record non stop coast is a 29 minute/36 mile downhill into King's Canyon. After getting caught carefully examining Terry's "Zero", Terry asked about our bike and I explained some of our journey's and told him about our love for coasting. In a strange way, we connected because of the quietness of Electric Bikes and the same being in coasting.

We were amazed at both Terry and his motorcycle. One of the reasons why came about when he pointed out to me how quickly his bike recharges and explained how easy it was to find places to do so - actually far more places to recharge (any where with a 110V outlet) and how most places "charge" free of the other kind of charging. Another point of interest came about when I mentioned how many times we had slipped past people while coasting without them even realizing we were there, I LOVE doing that BUT it can have a not so good side = if a driver doesnt know your there bad things can happen. I actually asked Terry (who is from California so has ridden many very busy highways) about this to which he replied "its a problem whenever I am in traffic - gotta ride those sections of ick-spressway very carefully".. I mentioned maybe putting a loud speaker system on board with the recording of a straight piped Harley being played on it.. He said he had actually considered doing exactly that!!

Terry and Craig Vetter (remember Vetter Fairings of yesteryear? thats the guy) are very good friends. Craig actually designed the Streamliner kit for Terry's bike!!

I was fascinated by all this and still am!! It has two wheels, handlebars, is completely capable of running some awesome speeds, cost almost nothing to operate PLUS - if I were riding one of these things I could honestly say my motorcycle really has a MOTOR and would not be misconstruing an engine with a "motor" all the time:big-grin-emoticon:

Here is a REALLY great article about the man and his machine - IRON BUTTIN!!:clap2::dancefool::thumbsup:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1094483_first-iron-butt-award-for-electric-motorcycle-terry-hershner

DSCN8782.JPG

DSCN8781.JPG

DSCN8770.JPG

DSCN8764.JPG

DSCN8777.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

See why you like it so much, stickers, duct tape , and signatures. :7_2_104[1]:

You nailed er @billmac!! It was down right refreshing meeting someone who thinks like ol Pucster!:thumbsup: And just as refreshing to be on the receiving end of getting asked to sign someones gorgeous scoot :big-grin-emoticon:

attachment.php?attachmentid=102291&d=1392841800

attachment.php?attachmentid=102290&d=1421636859

DEPRESSED YOU NEAD ONE OF COWPUCS HOTDOGS ITS LIKE SUMMER AGAIN THANK YOU COWPUC :mo money:

More than welcome @Drews:thumbsup:!!! Do your best to make em last till Spring and than we will have them Dogs on the run again!! :thumbsup::7_2_102[1]::7_2_104[1]::7_6_2[1]::7_6_3[1]::900[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_2_102[1]::7_6_2[1]: and a bunch of :Im not listening to and even more :fatsmiley::fatsmiley::fatsmiley::fatsmiley::fatsmiley::fatsmiley::fatsmiley::fatsmiley::fatsmiley::fatsmiley::fatsmiley:

attachment.php?attachmentid=102292&d=1423770962

DSCN8780.JPG

DSCN8779.JPG

DSCN8712.JPG

Got to move with the times......otherwise we would still be riding on wooden wheels...:smile5:

I like my wood wagon wheels, I keep a spokeshave in my tool box if I get a "Flat"......ever try to hammer out a warped mag rim? :Laugh:

I think I may have given you guys the wrong impression...I'm mainly depressed with the look and design of the bike and limited range. I associate Motorcycles with Freedom and not being tied down....worrying about going too far away from home without access to a plug kind of kills that sense of escape for me...I personally drive a Ford Escape Hybrid which is their SUV that is both electric and Gas vvvvrrrmm, so the electric part is cool to me.

I think they should strap a old-school and bullet proof Honda 4 stroke 50cc mini-bike motor onboard to charge the battery of the bike. That way Puc and Tippy could go cross country without needing a very long extension cord.

Hi @Drews, it is my dream to attend one of @cowpuc's legendary events and be able to meet some of you guys and gals! But I'm stuck too far away here in western Canada to attend, so I'll stay depressed as I shovel snow for the next 7 months. Maybe Puc could drop a fully loaded Dog in an envelope and mail it too me? Maybe Fax would be better?:Avatars_Gee_George:

DEPRESSED YOU NEAD ONE OF COWPUCS HOTDOGS ITS LIKE SUMMER AGAIN THANK YOU COWPUC :mo money:

Always my pleasure Drews!! You my friend are more than welcome!!:thumbsup:

WE GO TO DA UP FOR 2 DAYS AYE PUCKSTER:parrots:

Yep,, gonna put a whole new spin on that "Dog Says Of Summer" saying :big-grin-emoticon:

Hi @Drews, it is my dream to attend one of @cowpuc's legendary events and be able to meet some of you guys and gals! But I'm stuck too far away here in western Canada to attend, so I'll stay depressed as I shovel snow for the next 7 months. Maybe Puc could drop a fully loaded Dog in an envelope and mail it too me? Maybe Fax would be better?:Avatars_Gee_George:

Gotta hunch those border guards who inspect the mail would end up scarfing down the dog's if I did make an attempt to send one - probably scarf it under some kind of International Food Inspection Policy :big-grin-emoticon: claiming a Hot Dog with a stamp on it looked suspicious (obviously totally unaware of the type of lop eared varmints there are around this place) :big-grin-emoticon:

Lets see, how about a quick :photographing: of one of Puc's Perfect Puppy's trying to escape the table where others of its kind were disappearing like the view of a Harley in the mirror of a 1st Gen Yamaha Venture:big-grin-emoticon:

PS Riv,,, you ever get out this way there is ALWAYS a Hot Dog here in Michigan waiting for you!!:thumbsup: Of course,, they do taste a little better when eatin while sharing tales with other VR varmints so I would do my best to set up an emergency Greet - Meet and Eat Meat if ya ever made it out this way!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=102305&d=1442260422

DSCN1059.JPG

((I'm mainly depressed with the look and design of the bike and limited range. I associate Motorcycles with Freedom and not being tied down....))

I hear ya. I agree about design.

Right now I'm wondering if Yamaha does come out with a new Venture...will it be worth my investment to buy one with the limited amount of time I have left to ride. The hands hurt, the upper body strength is slowly going away and the fear of getting run over is becoming more than just a vagrant thought in my pea brain.

We shall see...

david

Thanks @cowpuc I really appreciate the invite! Right back at ya, if you ever find your way up to Alberta Canada the Bar-B-Q will be fired up.

!

Always my pleasure Drews!! You my friend are more than welcome!!:thumbsup:

Yep,, gonna put a whole new spin on that "Dog Says Of Summer" saying :big-grin-emoticon:

Gotta hunch those border guards who inspect the mail would end up scarfing down the dog's if I did make an attempt to send one - probably scarf it under some kind of International Food Inspection Policy :big-grin-emoticon: claiming a Hot Dog with a stamp on it looked suspicious (obviously totally unaware of the type of lop eared varmints there are around this place) :big-grin-emoticon:

Lets see, how about a quick :photographing: of one of Puc's Perfect Puppy's trying to escape the table where others of its kind were disappearing like the view of a Harley in the mirror of a 1st Gen Yamaha Venture:big-grin-emoticon:

PS Riv,,, you ever get out this way there is ALWAYS a Hot Dog here in Michigan waiting for you!!:thumbsup: Of course,, they do taste a little better when eatin while sharing tales with other VR varmints so I would do my best to set up an emergency Greet - Meet and Eat Meat if ya ever made it out this way!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=102305&d=1442260422

Hey David, I hear you brother. Hang in there and stay safe! I'm a "young" man of 41 but was in a agricultural lawnmower accident when I was a kid that left my right leg pretty messed up (13 reconstructive surgeries and couple of years in the hospital if you put it all together). Doctors have already given me a timeline of when my walking and riding days will be over......but I'm enjoying it while I can and I still feel safe and confident doing so. You are the only one that can make the decision and from reading several of your posts and getting some insight into your character I know that you will make the right call when and if the time comes. I have ridden motorcycles since I was 6 years old (I couldn't pedal a bicycle due to my injury so my Dad bought me a Honda z50 instead so I could ride instead!). But with that said I will be OK with hanging up the helmet for good when the time comes.

My Father is also making that decision for himself right now, he is 74 years young, I got him back on the road this year on a 86 Venture Royale....he loves it and has been riding motorcycles for over 55 years, is a retired Police officer that rode Police Harley's most of his career doing high speed pursuits and trained to do maneuvers that I could only dream of.....but his strength is no longer there, his confidence on the road has also faded (he will only ride when we are together), and I know if he ever went down his body would not be as forgiving and flexible as the old days.....so I will be triking his scoot this winter, I only take him on roads with no traffic, and keep his motorcycle full of gas, as the city gas station experience seems to be very stressful for him....but the day he says he is no longer enjoying it that Bike will get parked no questions asked, no pressure, and no regrets....I'll find another excuse to hang out with him!

@videoarizona Hope we can also meet in person someday! As you know, I have a house in Arizona as well....no Venture down there, only a Goldwing..but hope to take you up on a meet and eat if the moons align!

((I'm mainly depressed with the look and design of the bike and limited range. I associate Motorcycles with Freedom and not being tied down....))

I hear ya. I agree about design.

Right now I'm wondering if Yamaha does come out with a new Venture...will it be worth my investment to buy one with the limited amount of time I have left to ride. The hands hurt, the upper body strength is slowly going away and the fear of getting run over is becoming more than just a vagrant thought in my pea brain.

We shall see...

david