IGNORED

Am I being a whiner???

shmily

So you are thinking about changing bikes because of a couple days a year of riding? You also say you love your Venture. I personally wouldn't worry about a couple days a year. Plus what little you get behind in the curves you can make up by just twisting the throttle a little more on the straights. I have found that if they ride the curves faster than I can then they may be just riding to fast.

As mentioned...there are tweaks you can to to the RSV to make it make it better in the twisties. I pointed out some maintenance items that need to be checked (steering head tightness, tire condition/age) that I think you need to address or rule out.

As for confidence when riding...what you ride or drive affects your confidence level. For example...if you aren't sure that the vehicle you are on/in can do what you are trying to do, it lowers your confidence level. Two different cars on a track handle differently and if in the back of your mind you aren't sure the one you are driving will handle a maneuver then you won't be as aggressive as you would if you were in one that you knew could take it.

Tires are another example. If you know you have worn tires you drive differently in rain than if you had new tires. You aren't sure whether the worn tires will break loose in a turn so you ride with less confidence.

Before I learned how to do the quick steering head adjustment, my bike felt like it was drifting or loose thru curves. It lowered my comfort level to the point where I was losing confidence in what might happen in a turn. Once I tightened the steering head (brought it back to what it should be), I felt more comfortable doing higher speed curves with the RSV.

I know that my bike can handle more than my level of expertise in riding and I don't have concerns pushing myself beyond my comfort level because I know the bike is better than I am and can take it. I know the bike will handle a lean angle where the floorboards are scraping the road, but I don't do it because it is beyond my level of riding.

Shmily - check your steering head and age/condition of your tires. Adjust your shock pressures front and back...makes a big difference. If your pressure in the rear shock is too low the rear end will feel soft. Also...what condition is your rear shock in?

One thing that never seems to be brought up is the center of gravity of any given bike, whether it has a low center of gravity or whether it is top heavy . We are taught or told to lean with the bike going into turns but I have found from experience that this is not always 100% true. The more top heavy a bike is the less you lean with the bike. On slow tight turns I do not lean with the bike at all but rather let the bike lean under me like you would a motocross bike. Now having said that, obviously the faster your turn, the more you do lean with the bike. Basically it is learning to find that fine line between leaning with the bike and/or counter balancing the bike in any given turn at any given speed, to place the overall center of gravity in the right spot to maintain stability. Try it you may be pleasantly surprised at how handling improves.

Hey, there is only one good cure for New Bike Fever!

Touring bikes usually get touring tires for longevity, not for sticking in the curves. If there are stickier tires available for the RSV, they will make a huge difference if you want to push the limits. My personal opinion on tires is that I want a sticky tire and I don't worry about how long they last. I crashed one bike when I shouldn't have because it had cheap Cheng Shin tires on it that had very little grip.

Hey, there is only one good cure for New Bike Fever!

Touring bikes usually get touring tires for longevity, not for sticking in the curves. If there are stickier tires available for the RSV, they will make a huge difference if you want to push the limits. My personal opinion on tires is that I want a sticky tire and I don't worry about how long they last. I crashed one bike when I shouldn't have because it had cheap Cheng Shin tires on it that had very little grip.

IMHO the Dunlop E3's seem to be a pretty good balance between wear and road holding though initially they do seem to take a little longer to scrub in then some other tires. Another thing to consider is proper head bearing adjustment. Too tight and the bike tends to fight to right itself in the curves and too loose the front end feels sloppy.

I feel like I just got a graduate level course in riding an RSV. I'll definitely check head bearing adjustment. Also, is there a place on this site where I can learn more about leveling links? I have no idea what they are or what they do. I'm pretty handy and have done a few mods to the bike. If this is something the amateur shade-tree mechanic can probably handle, I'm game.

This has been an interesting thread and has certainly helped my shape my thinking about the topic. Here's a quick synopsis:

1. Be OK riding at your comfort level, not your riding buddy's,

2. There are things that can be done to the Venture to make it a little more manageable on the twisties,

3. A better bike won't necessarily make ME a better rider; if anything perhaps overly-confident, and,

4. At my current comfort level, the bike is not the limiting factor. Most likely, my confidence level is.

Sound about right?

Sounds right to me. and my thoughts exactly!

I pushed my 2nd Gen pretty hard last week in the twisties....but did finally slow down about 3/4 way down the mountain as I was getting tired. The scoot is great for sweeping turns at speed and loves the highway too...just not made for the short turns and narrow twisties at slow speed.

I got about 60% of the turns right...the rest...not quite so. Only went over the line twice. It's just a big bike to push through the turns.

Oh...and my front is lowered 3/4 inch. Front tire has very slow leak and only had 36 pounds instead of 40 I had in the morning. Running normal 150 width tire too. The last two items didn't help...but the experience was important to me.

I do take my time with a group...it's my ride...

Another thing you can do is make sure you pack heavy stuff when traveling with your buds in the bottoms of your bags and keep the trunk as light as possible.. Maybe even remove the trunk and just go "bagger" when riding with the troops if possible.. Less weight is always a good thing in the twisties..

Another thing you can do is make sure you pack heavy stuff when traveling with your buds in the bottoms of your bags and keep the trunk as light as possible.. Maybe even remove the trunk and just go "bagger" when riding with the troops if possible.. Less weight is always a good thing in the twisties..

That's what we did. The heaviest cold weather clothes were packed in the saddlebags. Tools and such in right bag, clothes in left. Trunk had only very light stuff all day long. My regular clothes was strapped to pillion seat. My passenger...grins!

Also, is there a place on this site where I can learn more about leveling links? I have no idea what they are or what they do. I'm pretty handy and have done a few mods to the bike. If this is something the amateur shade-tree mechanic can probably handle, I'm game.

Not hard to do at all. I made own:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?492-Leveling-Links-Raising-the-Rear-of-the-RSV

This has been an interesting thread and has certainly helped my shape my thinking about the topic. Here's a quick synopsis:

1. Be OK riding at your comfort level, not your riding buddy's,

2. There are things that can be done to the Venture to make it a little more manageable on the twisties,

3. A better bike won't necessarily make ME a better rider; if anything perhaps overly-confident, and,

4. At my current comfort level, the bike is not the limiting factor. Most likely, my confidence level is.

Sound about right?

Here's an extremely important point that hasn't been mentioned yet: When you get off your bike and walk away from it, if you don't have an overwhelming feeling to glance back at it with total adoration, then you bought the wrong bike.

That sucker has to look cool to you no matter what kind of mods and tweeks you've had to do to it make it ride right.

I have a friend that has a GTL, and after riding it and riding next to it,I would never own one,the whine from the cam drive totally drives me crazy,When I`m riding next to it I can hear the gear whine over my 92 VR,it rides and handles good but for a bike that costs around 25,000 dollars I`m not impressed,the Gold Wing would be a lot more bike for the same money,plus he`s had it back to dealer for several electrical recalls--Just my opinion people, so please don`t take offence.--Oh,one other thing,it`s stupid fast--LOL.

I feel like I just got a graduate level course in riding an RSV. I'll definitely check head bearing adjustment. Also, is there a place on this site where I can learn more about leveling links? I have no idea what they are or what they do. I'm pretty handy and have done a few mods to the bike. If this is something the amateur shade-tree mechanic can probably handle, I'm game.

Before you go into leveling links, I would suggest you look into the free modification of lowering the front end. I lowered mine 3/4 inch and will lower it 1/4 in ch more. The difference was like adding power steering. That and getting my front tire repaired so it doesn't leak and keep pressure at 40 pounds would help tremendously in the slow corners. There is a lot of info and pictures here on an earlier post about lowering front end.....may even be in the tech library. It sounds like a lot of work and does take time, but it isn't difficult at all.

Add to that, the head bearing adjustment, mine was to loose, and my 05 RSV's personality on slow speed maneuvers changed nicely!

Yes I was tired from 100 plus miles of twisties on the Devil's Highway, but we had already ridden 6 hours to get there, and I ended up with a 12 hour day in the saddle. So I'm not complaining at all about riding the RSV anywhere! Remember I do have the stock front 150 size tire. Going to a 130 would make it even easier for slow speed turns.

Bottom line: there are 3 things you can do to improve the low speed handling of an RSV and 2 out of 3 are free.

Last, I have a 1st gen as well....if you really want another scoot...then my recommendation is to buy a late model 1st gen. It goes through twisties like a modern sportbike, just a bit heavier. Yes you will have to modernize the brakes and maybe do some other work on her, but will take 2 up through any twisties all day long!

And yes, when I get off either of my 2 Ventures, I do look back and smile. :biker:

If ya needs some help...I'm new at this stuff (about 2 years now on Ventures) but will be happy to chat about my recommendations. Phone in my profile.

david

Is the juice worth the squeeze or am I expecting too much from changing bikes?? I know this is a Venture forum and I'm probably opening myself up for a lot of criticism, but I seriously need some input.

After 13 years and 120,000 miles on my 2002 Midnight RSV I switched to 2015 1800 Goldwing. My reasons for changing brands was more due to wanting ABS brakes and more ummmph to tow a 650lb camping trailer.

However, I was very pleasantly surprised in the difference when I get into the twisties. Holy cow do I have waaaay more fun now! The RSV is without doubt the most comfortable bike out there IMHO... but it is one top heavy pig in the twisties compared to the lower COG goldwing. I can not speak of the BMW... but I suspect it too would be far superior in the twisties.

I had plenty of fun on my RSV in the twisties... make no mistake. But... it is so much easier now and I find I am hitting the twisties with far more confidence now.

Here's an extremely important point that hasn't been mentioned yet: When you get off your bike and walk away from it, if you don't have an overwhelming feeling to glance back at it with total adoration, then you bought the wrong bike.

That sucker has to look cool to you no matter what kind of mods and tweeks you've had to do to it make it ride right.

Reminds me of my early days commanding Army aviation units. You see, I found that there were two types of aviators: Those who do it for the love of flying, and those who do it as a job. Interestingly enough, I could always spot those with a love of flying because after buttoning up the aircraft and heading into flight ops, they ALWAYS turned around after a few steps to take one last look at the bird. Almost as if to say "I appreciate you getting me home again". Very cool.

There are a lot of similarities between motorcycle people and aviators.

After 13 years and 120,000 miles on my 2002 Midnight RSV I switched to 2015 1800 Goldwing. My reasons for changing brands was more due to wanting ABS brakes and more ummmph to tow a 650lb camping trailer.

However, I was very pleasantly surprised in the difference when I get into the twisties. Holy cow do I have waaaay more fun now! The RSV is without doubt the most comfortable bike out there IMHO... but it is one top heavy pig in the twisties compared to the lower COG goldwing. I can not speak of the BMW... but I suspect it too would be far superior in the twisties.

I had plenty of fun on my RSV in the twisties... make no mistake. But... it is so much easier now and I find I am hitting the twisties with far more confidence now.

BMWs typically do not have a low COG though, the K bikes I'm speaking of. I suspect the new one doesn't either.

BMWs typically do not have a low COG though, the K bikes I'm speaking of. I suspect the new one doesn't either.

I believe you're right about that. The seat height is definitely higher. The pillion and trunk are definitely higher also. The engine is mounted lower, but I think the net CG is higher than that of our Ventures.

Reminds me of my early days commanding Army aviation units. You see, I found that there were two types of aviators: Those who do it for the love of flying, and those who do it as a job. Interestingly enough, I could always spot those with a love of flying because after buttoning up the aircraft and heading into flight ops, they ALWAYS turned around after a few steps to take one last look at the bird. Almost as if to say "We appreciate you getting us home again". Very cool.

There are a lot of similarities between motorcycle people and aviators.

Sorry for changing your quote @shmily , but I had to do it,, just a tiny little bit my friend.. We all to well can relate to what your saying. You probably know this but I am also the type who has always put a name to my bikes as they win my heart over, like Tweeks (our 83) has done.:thumbsup:

I also have to agree with that last line of yours = "There are a lot of similarities between motorcycle people and aviators." and have always wondered if some of the aircraft flown but men and women in the military, of much higher skill and intelligence then that of my own, who put a name to the craft that they entrust their very lives to really do feel the passion we are talking about - after reading what you wrote, now I know...:12101:

attachment.php?attachmentid=102326&d=1447391407

Tweeks....jpg