IGNORED

It's been almost 4 months - I think I'm "home free"

SilvrT

While I was heading home from Venture West Yreka this past summer, I happened to stop at a "Vap" shop in Florence, OR and bought one of those e-Cigs aka Vap. Didn't do much with it right away but I'd been "fighting" with myself for quite a long time over the idea of quitting smoking.

Well, I think I'm finally "smoke free"! I went "cold turkey" right after the July long weekend and haven't had a smoke since. The Vap has helped me immensely as it allows me to do the "habit" thing without the effects. I don't use it much anymore and today I ran out of Vap oil so for the rest of today, and maybe even from now on, I'll go without using it.

I quit once for 8 months back around 1998 or so but basically I have been smoking regularly for almost 55 years. Luckily I'm not all clogged up in my lungs like some get nor do I have any signs of cancer.

Nina, my wife, has been smoke free for over 5 years now. She's very glad that I've finally kicked the habit.

What's different now....

I have more energy

I sleep better

Food has a slightly different taste, generally better.

I don't miss out on things that take place while I've been "out for a smoke".

:dancefool: :dancefool:

Congratulations! It's not easy....I gave it up cold turkey as well about 32 years ago.......still enjoy the odd cigar but no more cigarettes. I have to say though that it was a long time before the cravings stopped.....especially walking by that 1st second or two of a freshly lit cigarette.

Keep it up!!

Congratulations! It's not easy....I gave it up cold turkey as well about 32 years ago.......still enjoy the odd cigar but no more cigarettes. I have to say though that it was a long time before the cravings stopped.....especially walking by that 1st second or two of a freshly lit cigarette.

Keep it up!!

I forgot to mention ... if I get anywhere near someone who is smoking I almost gag. Can't stand the smell ... will never go back to smoking, hated the smell even when I was smoking.

Nice going.

A buddy of mine finally quit, he is taking the cigarette money for a carton per week and setting it aside, that money over the course of a year will pay for a trip for him and his wife to some far away place, first trip will be to Cancun.

That will also make this the fist ever smoke free deer hunting camp for us, it will be wonderful.

Congrats Been 30+ years for me. I got Flu bug bad one year. Spent 3 days in bed, fourth finally felt good enough to get out of bed for a few hours. I was sitting in my favorite chair, picked up a smoke and said to myself "well its been 3 days wonder if I can got 4" That was it.

Good for you SilvrT!!!!!!

I went cold turkey nearly 20 years ago but didn't have the added support of a Vap or Patch.

Keep it up, Congratulations!

Yep, me too!! Pulled the plug in '89 cold turkey. I was a three pack a day man. The first two weeks we had really clean windows and the yard was immaculate... My wife had quit 10 years before, and to this day I can't understand how she put up with me?? Now I can't be downwind of someone who smokes.

I was up at 4:30 am to go to work. Cup of coffee in one hand, cigarette in the other. Why am i working to earn the money to buy cigarettes just to watch them burn up? I put it out and have not had one since. Now i walk by someone who is a heavy smoker and cannot believe how bad they stink. Suppose I did too. That was in 1984.

Now i walk by someone who is a heavy smoker and cannot believe how bad they stink. Suppose I did too.

It would seem some smokers stink while other's don't. I've had some people (non smokers) over the years seem surprised that I smoked because they could not smell it on me. On the other hand, I've been around some other smokers that even I could smell it on some them.

Congratulations on kicking the habit! Both of my parents were smokers as was my father in law. I watched both my parents' health decline as a result of their habit. Their smoking also likely affected my asthma. My mom passed away from lung cancer. Dad had copd and heart disease. He kicked the habit almost 10 yrs before she did. I never liked the smell so it wasn't something I wanted to do. But in the last year, I started vaping to manage the food cravings. I vape a nicotine free juice.

Sent from my B1-810 using Tapatalk

First I've heard of it but just something to be aware of. There was a news report just this week about one of those e-cigs exploding and causing severe injury to the man using it. Apparently the lithium batter is what exploded. He was in intensive care due to burns on his face, in his mouth and his throat.

First I've heard of it but just something to be aware of. There was a news report just this week about one of those e-cigs exploding and causing severe injury to the man using it. Apparently the lithium batter is what exploded. He was in intensive care due to burns on his face, in his mouth and his throat.

Thanks for mentioning that.

There's a lot of "tinkerers" out there that like to play "Tim the Toolman". Also notable is that folks seem to think they can properly charge them from a standard USB port ... my instructions state to ONLY use the supplied charger.

Some quotes from things I've read....

“He was using most likely a mechanical mod. Which is more like, pretty much you’re using the battery that pushes voltage straight through the battery right to the tank,” said Vinny Kaman.

That type of vaping is called dripping.

“You do it yourself, you get more control out of it. at the same time, you can rep it with too low of resistance and that can a circuit, or something along those lines, with the battery,” said Trevor Sollitto.

Laura Kaman said dripping is different from using an e-cigarette, “the majority of our business is all protected safe, eco style, e-cig batteries.”

If you prefer dripping, Kaman says make sure you properly know how to do it and have your battery in a protective case. If your battery is damaged, replace it and properly dispose of it.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/04/e-cigarettes-explode-fda-timeline

When I quit smoking back in the early 80s I just drank more. When I quit drinking in '93 I just chewed more. But when I quit chewing in '99, I was completely beside myself. All were done cold turkey. I know that I don't have another quit in me so I can't re-start any of them. Congratulations.