IGNORED

Riding Like A Pro

pegscraper

A lot of us have this video. A lot of us talk about watching the video. A lot of us recommend this video. But I never hear of anyone talking about their experiences trying these exercises. I've been on a handful of rides with others, and I don't get the impression that very many of us are actually practicing these. Is anyone actually getting out and trying this stuff? Let's hear some other's experiences.

Today is the first really warm day we've had around here. We could ride around without feeling cold, and come back home and still not feel cold. I've been riding my bike for a couple weeks now. But Lori hasn't been on her bike for six months. She gave up early last fall. Over the winter I acquired a few old tennis balls from a tennis teacher friend of mine to cut in half and use for cones. So today Lori and I went to a parking lot and tried a few of these. I've been riding street bikes, dirt bikes, and three wheelers for the past 24 or so years, and I consider myself a relatively decent rider. Dirt bike experience definitely helps a lot in street riding skills. Even so I would have admitted that I could use some improvement in my low speed handling skills. But good grief. In my very first attempt at this, I felt like I was trying to drive a semi truck and trailer through a miniature golf course. The pros in the video sure make it look a lot easier than this. I got better pretty quick though. Not the best, but a lot better. Lori was doing pretty well too, especially for her first ride of the year. We only got through exercises 2 and 3 though. It was really quite a lot of fun. All we could do was laugh when we messed up and didn't do something right. Success, in that neither of us dumped our bikes either. I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some more of these again.

Are some you getting out and trying these? Let's hear how you're doing.

I have been using some, the last 2-3 times I rode the Dragon, I was using the rear braking friction zone to keep me stable in the turns and was able to take the turns much faster and more stable than before.............My u turns are better, using his techinique. I really need to watch it some more, as soon as another VR gives it back to me...........

I have tried many of them and practice when ever I can. It does work. You just have to get in the habit of head and eyes and the friction zone and the rear brake. Anytime you do a U-Turn you should be doing it at the very least. Try the simple ones at first. U- turns at 20 ft and when your comfortable then go down till your at 14 ft or less in both directions.

PEGSCRAPING at 2 or 3 mph is really cool..:doh: :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Pun intended

][/color]I have tried many of them and practice when ever I can. It does work. You just have to get in the habit of head and eyes and the friction zone and the rear brake. Anytime you do a U-Turn you should be doing it at the very least. Try the simple ones at first. U- turns at 20 ft and when your comfortable then go down till your at 14 ft or less in both directions.

PEGSCRAPING at 2 or 3 mph is really cool..:doh: :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Pun intended

I tried that the other day and dropped my bike. I think I was going 1.235 mph.....

I got the video for xmas .... weather here hasn't been favourable enuf to bother licensing the scoot yet and now I got her all torn down again doing maintenance and a bit of re-clearcoating. For sure tho I will be trying those exercises once the scoot is back together...probably not until May 1st or so.

Having experience in taking an 80 hour class in this type of stuff your going to drop your bike alot and if your are pushing your self to edge of your limits. We used fire hose to protect the crash bars from scraping. It very trying and takes alot of practice and swearing and frustration. I can turn a HD Roadking in a parking space and a half width but your scraping the boards the whole way. Another manuver we did was called the keyhole it was cones set in a circle I cant remember the diameter 16 ft maybe with an entrance of I think about 2' wide if I remember right so its shaped like and old skeleton keyhole from above. You cant walk a bike around it upright in the circle the only way it can be done is if the bike is leaned over had to do it both directions turning left in the circle was easier then doing it to the right. You had to enter it for a left turn on the far left of the entrance then a sharp right turn to enter the actual circle and then slam the handlebars hard to the left to complete the circle and then a hard right to exit the cirlce without hitting the cones and when you got good enough a person was placed in the middle to up the ante a little. Fun but frustrating and rewarding when you were able to do all the manuvers without hitting the cones.

I try to practice the three points every time I ride!!!!!!! and the forth point is comming this summer. The "dip", as I did not practice it much last summer..... stupid me.....

I have my Uturns down to about 16 feet and will watch the video once a week durring my frist two months of riding this summer. I bet I will have my U turns down to 14 feet when I get the dip into my brain!!!!! and 11.5 feet is my goal, riding 2up!!!!!!

I gave away copies to my ridding/Navy buddies, and they are RAVING obout how their skills are improving!!!!!!!!! even though they dont have RSVs

If you practice the skills you will find out that the RSV is not top heavy, it was your riding skills that were lacking, which was tough for me to admit, but I have learnd a LOT by watching the video and THEN going out a practicing the skill sets that are demonstrated. The RSV has GREAT handling and is IMHO the BEST touring bike currently on the market!!!!

I bought the DVD last fall and got a chance to practice some of it in my driveway and try the friction zone whenever I get the chance.

Someone mentioned using the friction zone on the "dragon"....well, I don't think that trick works much above walking speed, it isn't intended for high speed corners!

I plan on trying to get as many of our riding group as possible to a big parking lot soon and practice with tennis balls cut in half like they recommend. You can work your way up to the extreme stuff.

Last fall, after doing a lot of practice with that, I made a typical slow right hand turn at low speed, and leaned over enough to scrape the peg. Surprised me. This spring, I was riding and someone following commented on the CB that I was leaning a LOT in the turns. SO I guess I learned something.

LOL

I got the video not long ago. I try during day to day low speed maneuvers. It has helped a bit on U turns and parking lots. I haven't gone out and set up to really practice.

I signed up for a course early next month that works on low speed along with other things. And just in case I ordered the clamps for the crash bar reinforcement today.:fingers crossed:

Jerry

I also received my Ride Like A PRo for Christmas. I have watched the whole thing once and now am practicing the first couple of exercises. I am already much better at low speed handling but I have lots of room for improvement! I've just had the bike out a couple of times this year. I had to do more important things first like hanging my new Guardian Bell! Anyway, there's an old abandoned department store not too far from home. I will use their parking lot to practice.

I have never seen the video but I would love to. This sounds like a lot of fun and pretty challenging. I'm going to have to get one. I am curious though, just exactly how does all this help you at 80 on the Interstate? I don't do a lot of "parking lot tours". Is there information on higher speed riding?

I practice the techniques each time I ride. Its funny how the points Jerry makes in the DVD come to life when they are exercised.

Friction zone and rear braking practically eliminates low speed instability.

Head and Eyes. It’s amazing how the bike goes where you look. (Don't look down)

I haven't done any cone or tennis ball training, but I do go to my local Lowes parking lot and see how tight I can turn between the parking spots. Best I've done so far is two spots wide.

Turning at low speed is no problem with friction zone and rear braking. I am getting better at the dip and lean. On a recent weekend outing, I turned the beast on a narrow two lane country road near Independence, TX two up! Lilbit was tauntin me, saying "gonna drop it, gonna drop it, gonna drop it." But I didn't. The DVD and practice are well worth the effort.

A bud practices from the DVD on his Wing IN HIS BACK YARD! I think if I could do these maneuvers on grass you couldn't talk to me.

Regards, Ponch :cool10::cool10::cool10:

I have never seen the video but I would love to. This sounds like a lot of fun and pretty challenging. I'm going to have to get one. I am curious though, just exactly how does all this help you at 80 on the Interstate? I don't do a lot of "parking lot tours". Is there information on higher speed riding?

They teach you to practice handling your bike at low speeds, where if you make a mistake, it just scratches your chrome and bends your ego.... but once you master it a low speeds your high speed handling will be MUCH improved!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET THE DVD TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRACTICE the skills OFTEN

Disclamer: I am not affilited with the producers of Ride Like a Pro videos. I KNOW it is improved my skills ten fold!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have heard lots about this video, another forum I belonged to, used to ship the video around to anyone that wanted to see it, but could not afford it. Kind of like a lending library, when you were done, you shipped it on to the next person. I want to get it at some point, I have read proficient motorcycling, and more proficient motorcycling, but the clips of the videos I have seen, are really interesting. Not sure if I want to go and try them on my brand new bike, but after I get accustomed to it, for sure.

Sonny

I have heard lots about this video, another forum I belonged to, used to ship the video around to anyone that wanted to see it, but could not afford it. Kind of like a lending library, when you were done, you shipped it on to the next person. I want to get it at some point, I have read proficient motorcycling, and more proficient motorcycling, but the clips of the videos I have seen, are really interesting. Not sure if I want to go and try them on my brand new bike, but after I get accustomed to it, for sure.

Sonny

Sonny,

Go to http://www.ridelikeapro.com/ drop down to Motorman's articles. Just about everything covered in the DVD is in written form for free. You can learn all the techniques here.

The DVD makes easier cause you can see the bikes going through the exercises. But in a pinch this will help.

Regards, Ponch:080402gudl_prv:

I got the dvd last year. I haven't done any tennis ball or cone practice, though I need to. It's hard to find the time. I do use the techniques in my daily riding. Friction zone, rear brake, head and eyes.

The dvd will motivate you when you see those small woman handling big HDs like they are toys. -Jack

• 2 months later...

I had been trying to get into the Experienced Riders Course here in Omaha for the last two years. They only take 36 riders a year and only 12 to a class. I didn't make it again this year so I ordered the Ride Like a Pro DVD instead. As soon as I ordered it I got a call from the ERC/MSF instructor saying there had been a cancellation and they had an open slot only 3 days away. I was in.

On the day of the class the DVD arrived 15 minutes before I was leaving. I wish I'd had time to watch it before I left.

The class itself was exceptional and well worth the time and money invested. Seven hours on the track practicing low speed moves and handling tips. They just brushed over things like the friction technique and the stop to stop turns. I was happy to make it though the class without dropping it. Some of the other riders took some damage.

I went home and started watching segments of the DVD and making a point of spending at least a couple of hours week practicing them. I stole, er, borrowed my daughters small orange cones she and her friends use when skateboarding and wander off the the high school parking lot. Got my turns down to less than 18 feet and working on the dip which really it the key to the tight turn set up.

Working at the friction technique is a challenge but it gives me a huge sense of control I've never had in all the years I've ridden. I was taught at a young age that the clutch was either engaged or not. No middle ground. That was so wrong.

I've got a few other riders that have shown interest in how I ride the way I do and have started showing up at the high school when I practice. It's good to see others trying to improve the skills they have and get rid of the old bad habits we have picked up over the years.

I will keep up on my practice schedule and the DVD will be always be handy. It was worth the few dollars that it cost and will save me bucks on scraped up bars and lowers. LOL! Not to mention the damaged ego if I drop it. Hoping for the best.

Mike

Greetings...

I have #5 I think? 2 months ago, It would take me at least 30 seconds sitting there pondering - how to get turned around on ANY street...

Today, without even thinking about it - I pulled off a 270' U-turn in less than one lane on a steep climbing hill.

Yes, I said 270 degree... I was in the far left of a left turn lane almost on the line, alone at a deserted intersection, waiting for the left turn light when I suddenly realized that my beer cooler was empty! The Trading post being just behind me to the right, the parking lot entrance just down the hill - Zoop, swoosh and into the parking lot - all within the single lane. Didn't even come close to the rubble and gravel near the curb. All in one smooth slow acceleration using the principles of the Video.

Haven't managed to actually scrape my pegs yet, but I'm getting close! I practice the techniques pretty much Every time I ride. I look for real world opportunities to do some practice in everyday practical situations.

I know, I know - for most of you - it's old hat, but compared to my incompetance of just 2 months ago - I'm kind of proud of my growing low speed maneuvering skills...

What with all the new bikes and bikers this year - compared to last, I've been noticing that a LOT of them have trouble just STOPPING at the lights! forget them being able to perform low speed close quarter maneuvering - Watched a guy nearly tear his foot off yesterday - was still moving too fast when he put his foot down, wasn't balanced, front wheel swinging back and forth, got his foot jammed under his floorboard and flopped over the left handlebar! His brand new Wing went down real hard, they must have a factory installed bank angle cut off switch? 'cus His engine stopped instantly...

He was alright - nothing broken, just a bad bruise on the back of his calf no doubt. At least he was wearing boots! I switched on my hazard lights, dropped my sidestand, made sure he was alright, then showed him just how you get a monster wing back on her feet..

If you want to try the techniques and push it further you can acquire some old firehose and wrap all the crash guards with it and some duct tape so when you drop it the guards dont get scratched. I'm not sure how many would want to do this with thier own bikes. Once you get good at the techniques its kinda fun to practice.

Edited by CrazyHorse

What with all the new bikes and bikers this year - compared to last, I've been noticing that a LOT of them have trouble just STOPPING at the lights! forget them being able to perform low speed close quarter maneuvering - Watched a guy nearly tear his foot off yesterday - was still moving too fast when he put his foot down, wasn't balanced, front wheel swinging back and forth, got his foot jammed under his floorboard and flopped over the left handlebar! His brand new Wing went down real hard, they must have a factory installed bank angle cut off switch? 'cus His engine stopped instantly...

quote]

It's not just new people there are plenty of "I've been riding 30 years" people that could use the help too.

It's not just new people there are plenty of "I've been riding 30 years" people that could use the help too.

AMEN!!!!!!

I have a copy of Ride Like A Pro V to review and I try to attend a MSF rider course annually.

I KNOW that I can impove my skills, and it might just save my life someday!!!!!!!

I am lucky to be able to ride year round and practice before I teach every week. You don't need cone/markers just use the parking stall lines. To protect the crash bars pipe insulation works well ,available at home improvement stores. Ride safe Rod

• 5 months later...

I have practiced the first couple of exercises on my M95 and was getting pretty good. Now that I have a bike that weighs two hundred pound more and is allot more top heavy I need to get out there and do more practice.

Remember, practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.